Author Topic: The Most Commonly Spoken Language in Each State Besides English and Spanish  (Read 476 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
http://mentalfloss.com/article/56714/most-commonly-spoken-language-each-state-besides-english-and-spanish

The Most Commonly Spoken Language in Each State Besides English and Spanish

Jason English

Today's map comes from Ben Blatt of Slate, who used data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. He created several other language maps, too, including each state's top Native American, Scandinavian, and African language.

Support the USO

Online Lando Lincoln

Fascinating.  Thank you for posting.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • There's no one out there quite like me.
    • Fullervision
I'm surprised Pennsylvania wasn't German. They're one of the few places where it was naturally cultivated, much like French was in Louisiana. Of course, Philly might drown that out.

I'm also surprised how much German is spread across the Plains... but in many places that may just be because English is SO dominant, and Spanish the next (and distant) runner up, that it's almost impossible to get any significant measurement for third.

Polish in Illinois surprises me, if only because most Polish Americans so rapidly segued into English that it's mostly a novelty. I'd've thought having Chicago would've produced something else.
"Just because people in positions of authority are stupid, it doesn’t mean you have to go along with it." —Arlo Guthrie

Online mountaineer

French in W.Va.? The only French my fellow mountaineers know is French fries. C'est domage!
Just being unique doesn't make you useful.

Offline NavyCanDo

I'm surprised Pennsylvania wasn't German.

Except for what you remember from high school German class, I think the vast majority of Americans with German ancestry, including myself have a very small German vocabulary and many don't speak or understand the language at all,  except for important stuff like what German beer and  sausage you want to serve for Oktoberfest.   Unlike many Americans with a foreign language origin It took only a generation or two for most German Americans to leave their language and even accent behind. We support todays immigrants continued use of their  native tongue  its a wonder  how any would give it up.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • #ToldYouSo
very interesting

Online Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
Hmmmm!  I would have guessed it was the one being spoken in the picture below!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:14:51 PM by Bigun »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • French entertainment is a waste of mime.
Except for what you remember from high school German class, I think the vast majority of Americans with German ancestry, including myself have a very small German vocabulary and many don't speak or understand the language at all,  except for important stuff like what German beer and  sausage you want to serve for Oktoberfest.   Unlike many Americans with a foreign language origin It took only a generation or two for most German Americans to leave their language and even accent behind. We support todays immigrants continued use of their  native tongue  its a wonder  how any would give it up.

The Wars perhaps? You didn't want to be identifiable as a German while the entire country was fighting them - that would be a fair incentive to use only English.
Anyone who tells you you can't buy happiness has never been in a book store or an animal shelter.

You are the result of 3 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

The Wars perhaps? You didn't want to be identifiable as a German while the entire country was fighting them - that would be a fair incentive to use only English.

No I'm going back much farther, and we were refering to the the Pennsylvania Dutch (Or correctly Pennsylvania Deutsch meaning German-speaking).    Many of these immigrants came here in the early and mid 1700s.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf