Author Topic: A comeback for the humble cassette?  (Read 344 times)

SPQR

A comeback for the humble cassette?
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:09:02 AM »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Currently Thinking of a Clever Avatar
Re: A comeback for the humble cassette?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »
I remember back in the day owning an old Apple IIe. The thing came with floppy disks, which at the time were the size of a CD and held about 0.1 MB of data. The thing also came with an instruction manual for BASIC.

Now, while there was a DOS on the old Apple II systems for a floppy, it wasn't native to the BASIC and had to be triggered. BASIC's native format for saving files was to a cassette drive. Those cassettes could hold a whopping 230 MB of data-- two thousand times as much as the floppy-- even with early 1980s technology. Cassette tape is a grossly underrated format for digital media. With today's capabilities, it doesn't surprise me at all that they have returned to the tape and seen its full potential.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:49:14 PM by jmyrlefuller »

SPQR

Re: A comeback for the humble cassette?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »
I remember back in the day owning an old Apple IIe. The thing came with floppy disks, which at the time were the size of a CD and held about 0.1 MB of data. The thing also came with an instruction manual for BASIC.

Now, while there was a DOS on the old Apple II systems for a floppy, it wasn't native to the BASIC and had to be triggered. BASIC's native format for saving files was to a cassette drive. Those cassettes could hold a whopping 230 MB of data-- two thousand times as much as the floppy-- even with early 1980s technology. Cassette tape is a grossly underrated format for digital media. With today's capabilities, it doesn't surprise me at all that they have returned to the tape and seen its full potential.

You had to keep those floppy disks away from any outside magnetic force or it would be erased

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf