Author Topic: (First World) Man of (Shallow) Sorrows  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
(First World) Man of (Shallow) Sorrows
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:09:09 am »
(First World) Man of (Shallow) Sorrows
By: Luis Gonzalez

(Niners Inside Blog) - The greatest obstacle for Michael Sam may be over. Sam did get drafted by the St. Louis Rams near the end of the seventh round of the NFL draft. Sam was up against the older generation, which is far more resistant to homosexual acceptance than the current generation.

General managers, scouts and coaches grew up in a sports culture where the definition of being a man is partially formed by how much an athlete can distance themselves from homosexuality and femininity. It was part of the male code – be a strong athlete, prove you’re physically tough, date as many women as possible, and constantly prove you are NOT gay.

In the older generation, coaches often used homosexual and misogynistic slurs to motivate players.

The drafting of Sam means that the sports world in general and the NFL specifically, is escaping the old masculine gender formation along with the rest of society.

~~~

Being supportive of a gay player also does not raise homosexual suspicion. As a result, sports fans in conservative states seem to be open to a gay player. In a recent poll, 71% of Cowboy fans said they would be comfortable if the team drafted Sam.

In the end, Sam’s courage was rewarded. Not only did Sam declare he is gay, he is also African American, which opens himself to duel discrimination.

“He is already coming from behind,” said Dr. John Culhane. “It makes him even more courageous.” Culhane is professor of law and director of the Health Law Institute at Widener University School of Law and co-author of Same-Sex Legal Kit for Dummies.

Michael Sam hugged his boyfriend when the call finally came. Cameras were there to capture the moment.

They wept in each other's arms and kissed.

President Obama weighed in on the occasion via an official White House statement:

“The President congratulates Michael Sam, the Rams and the NFL for taking an important step forward in our Nation’s journey. From the playing field to the corporate boardroom, LGBT Americans prove everyday that you should be judged by what you do and not who you are.”

I'm not understanding the courage thing here.

It doesn't take courage to be gay.

~~~~~

Continue reading at The Last Wire
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:50:24 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: (First World) Man of (Shallow) Sorrows
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:02:42 am »
In the end, Sam’s courage was rewarded. Not only did Sam declare he is gay, he is also African American, which opens himself to duel discrimination.

“He is already coming from behind,” said Dr. John Culhane.

An unfortunate choice of words from the good Doctor.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:56:09 am »
Nicely done Luis!

Not these days anyway.

You're either gay, or you're not.

Or you're gay on alternate calendar weeks, and not on the rest.

Perfect summation.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:54:07 pm »

Not these days anyway.

You're either gay, or you're not.

My feelings exactly!!!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
My feelings exactly!!!

The thing about this is that back in the day, a gay athlete would lose everything if outed.

Look hat happened to Billy Jean King. She lost every single one of her sponsors when her lover filed a palimony suit in 1981.

King's own words from a 2006 Boston Globe article:

"Within 24 hours [of the lawsuit being filed], I lost all my endorsements; I lost everything. I lost $2 million at least, because I had longtime contracts. I had to play just to pay for the lawyers. In three months I went through $500,000. I was in shock. I didn't make $2 million in my lifetime, so it's all relative to what you make."

This happened to an athlete who at that point in her career had won 39 Grand Slam titles among her many other victories.

Michael Sam claims to have been discriminated against (after winning all those SCE titles) because he didn't go in the early rounds.

Discrimination is turning into denying someone everything they feel that they are entitled to as a result of being some sort of minority.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:57:30 pm »
Discrimination is turning into denying someone everything they feel that they are entitled to as a result of being some sort of minority.
Bingo!!!!