Author Topic: John Boehner: My Friend Jeb Bush Would Make a 'Great President'  (Read 7613 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/12/John-Boehner-My-Friend-Jeb-Bush-Would-Make-a-Great-President

by Charlie Spiering 12 May 2014, 11:52 AM PDT

House Speaker John Boehner signaled support for former Florida Governor Jeb Bush to run for president during a press conference on Monday.

“Jeb Bush is my friend,” Boehner said. "I think he’d make a great president. And I’ve been nudging him for some time.”

Boehner made his remarks during a Q&A session with Texas Tribune at the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.

Boehner also asserted that a majority of Republicans were interested in immigration reform, even though some were blocking the issue.

“There are some members of my party that just do not want to deal with this,” Boehner said. “It’s no secret. But I do believe the vast majority of members of our party do want to deal with this.”

In a separate interview that aired Monday on Fox News Business, Boehner reiterated his position against earmarks.

Asked about recent calls to bring back earmarks, the controversial practice of Congress directing federal funds to specific projects, Boehner said he would never stand for their return.

"I've been here for 24 years and I've never, ever once asked for an earmark or got one. Not once. I started this effort in 2006 to get rid of earmarks. We are not going back to the nonsense that went on before then," Boehner said. 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: John Boehner: My Friend Jeb Bush Would Make a 'Great President'
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:24 pm »
I've got no issue with the Bush family, but 3 people from your direct family being POTUS is kind of pushing it. Potential for another Bush vs Clinton? What year is it?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:10 pm »
This is exactly why so many of us conservatives feel as we do about John Boehner!

Jeb Bush would make a TERRIBLE president and most everyone knows it!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:40 pm »
This is exactly why so many of us conservatives feel as we do about John Boehner!

Jeb Bush would make a TERRIBLE president and most everyone knows it!
He  might not please "true conservatives" all the time, but nobody that would, could be elected, either.

And apparently "true conservatives" have forgotten the wisdom of Reagan, who encouraged working with people when he could get much, most of what he wanted.

It seems we have travelled from Reagan's wisdom and common sense, to a position today whereby "true conservatives" claim they are only interested in all, or nothing. Won't vote, etc.

I didn't like some things GW Bush did, but I can readily accept he was the best of available options.

I can also conclude that a more conservative option would/will probably not be elected in America, now.

I can read polls. I can remember that GW Bush came from Texas, a more conservative state.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline raml

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:52:07 am »
The GOP didn't want Reagan and he got in. Conservatives are not voting holding their noses anymore we are sick of it. We will write in someone instead of voting for a rhino. So GOP candidate better be someone both sides can vote for or the GOP is through and can never win again. It doesn't matter to me since any rhino is like voting for a democrat not any difference at all so if the democrat wins so what it will matter to the country but so will it matter if one of those rhinos get in they really are no different. We want a man with character willing to stand by the constitution and the people of this country to hell with the horrible GOP leadership.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:02:20 am »
Truth_seeker wrote:
[[ I can also conclude that a more conservative option would/will probably not be elected in America, now... ]]

Well.... if not now.... when.....?

C'mon, answer honestly.
I dare ya!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:46:03 am »
The GOP didn't want Reagan and he got in.

Reagan couldn't begin to pass the litmus tests of the right wing today. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:07:52 am »
Jeb Bush will not get elected in 2016.  A three-fer dynasty is not something most Americans are willing to accept even in principle, and everyone seems to have forgotten that a lot of people voted against Bush when they voted for Obama in 2008.  Jeb Bush would give the democrats pure manna from heaven to run on another "vote against Bush" tirade.

That so many supposed power-brokers in the GOP cannot fathom these basic facts indicates that the tenure system that brought us McCain in 2008 - because it was his "turn to have it" - is still alive and well and that it's now Jeb Bush's "turn to have it" and the electoral consequences be damned.

If we're going to be dynastic about this, why not wait until one of GWB's kids is old enough to be president, then at least we'd be getting the generational thing correct.

If the dumbocrat nominee is Hillary then I will still vote for Jeb Bush, but it will be with a heavy heart because I know my vote will be meaningless.  On the other hand, if the dumbocrats come up with someone sufficiently more palatable than Hillary, then I may not vote 'R' ... I didn't vote for GWB in 2004 because I felt he'd gone too far, that Kerry would at least be of basic competence and that Lieberman would provide some much-needed ballast to such an administration.

In short, if the GOP nominates Jeb Bush, then my vote will be for the democrats to lose.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:10:33 am by Oceander »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:55:25 am »
Jeb Bush will not get elected in 2016.  A three-fer dynasty is not something most Americans are willing to accept even in principle, and everyone seems to have forgotten that a lot of people voted against Bush when they voted for Obama in 2008.  Jeb Bush would give the democrats pure manna from heaven to run on another "vote against Bush" tirade.

That so many supposed power-brokers in the GOP cannot fathom these basic facts indicates that the tenure system that brought us McCain in 2008 - because it was his "turn to have it" - is still alive and well and that it's now Jeb Bush's "turn to have it" and the electoral consequences be damned.

If we're going to be dynastic about this, why not wait until one of GWB's kids is old enough to be president, then at least we'd be getting the generational thing correct.

If the dumbocrat nominee is Hillary then I will still vote for Jeb Bush, but it will be with a heavy heart because I know my vote will be meaningless.  On the other hand, if the dumbocrats come up with someone sufficiently more palatable than Hillary, then I may not vote 'R' ... I didn't vote for GWB in 2004 because I felt he'd gone too far, that Kerry would at least be of basic competence and that Lieberman would provide some much-needed ballast to such an administration.

In short, if the GOP nominates Jeb Bush, then my vote will be for the democrats to lose.

I will not vote for Jeb Bush under any circumstance!

There! I said it!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:16:17 am »
I will not vote for Jeb Bush under any circumstance!

There! I said it!

Ditto on that.  (Just wait for the screams "Oh My Goodness!!!  He has got to be 'better' than any Dem!!!  Ohh noes....... then Hillary will get in!!!")  lol

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:06:44 am »
It seems we have travelled from Reagan's wisdom and common sense, to a position today whereby "true conservatives" claim they are only interested in all, or nothing. Won't vote, etc.
I think we're a lot further gone from the days of Reagan. Debt's much bigger, government programs (with the exception of straight welfare) are more pervasive, morals are collapsing, and so on.

I hate to say it, but the only way the problems are going to be fixed is if we go "all in."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 12:24:04 pm »
I think we're a lot further gone from the days of Reagan. Debt's much bigger, government programs (with the exception of straight welfare) are more pervasive, morals are collapsing, and so on.

I hate to say it, but the only way the problems are going to be fixed is if we go "all in."

:amen: Brother!  :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 12:33:16 pm »

Not until we see breadlines and children begging in the streets.....not until we see a major Islamic attack in one or more American cities...not until Americans are being slaughtered for their possessions....will we see the American People run back to Conservativism.

The way I 'see' it....we need to wait a another couple of years.   [/s] 

...if we're lucky at all.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:34:00 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 12:48:07 pm »

Well regardless of what most of us think about Reagan's legacy as a strong conservative leader, he began the debt growth policy.  It was steadily decreasing as a percentage of GDP, but with Reagan's term in office it's been on an uphill climb ever since.  Lower taxes are great, but you can't have both increased spending and lower taxes and somehow think you can reduce the debt.  After 30 years and at least 3 boom-bust cycles that should be obvious.  But that's for another thread.

Another cycle we seem to go through is the chest-thumping from the self-professed "true conservatives" who wouldn't vote for so and so no matter what. 

Whether anyone believes it or not, abortion and gay marriage are not issues for most of America.  Immigration reform is going to have to be addressed, as is how to effectively grow the economy with its structural problems, balance the budget and pay down the astronomical debt we have. Most in the Country are unhappy over the income and wealth distribution and like it or not, it will be an election year issue.

Americans once again want to see the two parties sit down and actually engage in give and take to help address these issues.

So I'm waiting for some of these "true conservative" candidates to step up and detail a few of their ideas, and once they get past abortion, gay marriage, the moral decline of our culture, perhaps I'll also get petulant over the "RINOs".

Until then, winning the election is everything as we've sadly found out with the likes of Obama, Reid and Pelosi.   

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:06 pm »
City Republicans back Jeb Bush for president at gala
By Aaron Short
New York Post
May 13, 2014 | 7:07am

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush was lauded by fellow Republicans as a potential candidate for president at an appearance in Manhattan Monday night.

“I think people want an adult in the room, a dose of reality and leadership, and I think Jeb Bush is unquestioned on that,” said Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino.

Ex-mayoral candidate John Catsimatidis even compared Bush to conservative icon President Ronald Reagan.

“We’ve got standing room only in this room,” Catsimatidis said. “Who’s the last Republican to win New York? Was it Ronald Reagan? I think [Bush is] capable of doing it.”

And former Mayor Rudy Giuliani all but endorsed Bush.

“He’d make one heck of a leader,” he said, introducing Bush to the crowd at the Manhattan Institute gala. “I hope we get a chance to find out.”

Bush tried selling his family’s brand of compassionate conservatism.

“If we stay our current course with our tepid economic growth and the deep pessimism that this country believes that we’re on the wrong track . . . our future is not that bright,” he said.

“Thankfully, there is a clear path for the United States to once again be the indispensable nation that we have always been.”

He also touted his record of lowering taxes and raising student test scores as governor.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 01:06:57 pm »
City Republicans back Jeb Bush for president at gala
By Aaron Short
New York Post
May 13, 2014 | 7:07am

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush was lauded by fellow Republicans as a potential candidate for president at an appearance in Manhattan Monday night.

“I think people want an adult in the room, a dose of reality and leadership, and I think Jeb Bush is unquestioned on that,” said Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino.

Ex-mayoral candidate John Catsimatidis even compared Bush to conservative icon President Ronald Reagan.

“We’ve got standing room only in this room,” Catsimatidis said. “Who’s the last Republican to win New York? Was it Ronald Reagan? I think [Bush is] capable of doing it.”

And former Mayor Rudy Giuliani all but endorsed Bush.

“He’d make one heck of a leader,” he said, introducing Bush to the crowd at the Manhattan Institute gala. “I hope we get a chance to find out.”

Bush tried selling his family’s brand of compassionate conservatism.

“If we stay our current course with our tepid economic growth and the deep pessimism that this country believes that we’re on the wrong track . . . our future is not that bright,” he said.

“Thankfully, there is a clear path for the United States to once again be the indispensable nation that we have always been.”

He also touted his record of lowering taxes and raising student test scores as governor.

Why would it surprise anyone that a VERY moderate republican in name only endorse another moderate republican in name only?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »
Why would it surprise anyone that a VERY moderate republican in name only endorse another moderate republican in name only?

Bigun, help me out. How is someone who's going to run for president as a republican and has been a republican his entire adult life, has been a republican governor is a RINO, but a voter who claims to be conservative, but won't vote for a republican against a democrat isn't?

I mean if I may or may not vote republican in a general election, wouldn't I be a republican in name only?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 02:02:53 pm »
Bigun, help me out. How is someone who's going to run for president as a republican and has been a republican his entire adult life, has been a republican governor is a RINO, but a voter who claims to be conservative, but won't vote for a republican against a democrat isn't?

I mean if I may or may not vote republican in a general election, wouldn't I be a republican in name only?

People can call themselves anything they whatever they want but them calling themselves this or that does not make it so! Never has and never will!

You are dealing with an unrepentant southern CONSERVATIVE with me and I will NEVER give in to political correctness or democrat lite! NEVER EVER again!!

BTW: I have spent the last 40 years working my ass off in the trenches of the republican party and I'm TIRED beyond measure of those people pissing down my leg an telling me it's raining! Wait till next year is going to cut it with me anymore!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:14:26 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 02:17:37 pm »
People can call themselves anything they whatever they want but them calling themselves this or that does not make it so! Never has and never will!

You are dealing with an unrepentant southern CONSERVATIVE with me and I will NEVER give in to political correctness or democrat lite! NEVER EVER again!!

Well as you say, calling oneself whatever doesn't make it so.  It works both ways.  Hang in there.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 02:35:20 pm »
Well as you say, calling oneself whatever doesn't make it so.  It works both ways.  Hang in there.

You can count on it! Right up to the moment I take my last breath!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »
This is another one of those threads. Establishment types come in, and lecture the rest of the heathens, trying to educate the blood thirsty savages.

At least that's how it appears.

I'm often cast into the conservative camp. It's ok, I really don't care, but the fact is, I'm more of a libertarian, and on some things I'm not very conservative. The only reason I state my position is that I think there are a lot of people like me. My best friend is a left leaning moderate. We get along because we don't get emotional about our views. We see many things the same, and where we diverge, it really doesn't matter. In the long run, we educate each other.

So, my point is, what is it that would compel someone to vote Republican? Republicans almost never publicize or elaborate on alternatives. There is no cohesive message. The number one thing that Republicans tout is that they will stop Obama, (which they aren't doing). In most cases, I see very little difference between sides. The biggest difference I see is Democrats are committed to their agenda, and some will even fall on their sword to advance the cause, as they did passing obamacare. Republicans seem to be quite happy to be in a minor role as obstructionists without being required to have vision, or be accountable for a plan.

EDIT: As for Jeb Bush? Anyone who thinks someone named Bush could be elected president in the next 20 years, needs to do some more thinking. Pat Paulsen is more likely to be elected, and he's dead.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:40:16 pm by Relic »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:39 pm »
This is another one of those threads. Establishment types come in, and lecture the rest of the heathens, trying to educate the blood thirsty savages.

I'm often cast into the conservative camp. It's ok, I really don't care, but the fact is, I'm more of a libertarian, and on some things I'm not very conservative. The only reason I state my position is that I think there are a lot of people like me. My best friend is a left leaning moderate. We get along because we don't get emotional about our views. We see many things the same, and where we diverge, it really doesn't matter. In the long run, we educate each other.

So, my point is, what is it that would compel someone to vote Republican? Republicans almost never publicize or elaborate on alternatives. There is no cohesive message. The number one thing that Republicans tout is that they will stop Obama, (which they aren't doing). In most cases, I see very little difference between sides. The biggest difference I see is Democrats are committed to their agenda, and some will even fall on their sword to advance the cause, as they did passing obamacare. Republicans seem to be quite happy to be in a minor role as obstructionists without being required to have vision, or be accountable for a plan.

EDIT: As for Jeb Bush? Anyone who thinks someone named Bush could be elected president in the next 20 years, needs to do some more thinking. Pat Paulsen is more likely to be elected, and he's dead.

If you look at recent history (Last 50 years or so) we win when we make a clear distinction between us an them and loose EVERY TIME when we don't!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 03:03:43 pm »

I think it's called giving one's opinion, even though it might differ from yours.  Or is this just a bash-Bush thread?

Isn't that what divergent opinions are supposed to do?

As you say, you're not necessarily conservative.  One of the principles of conservatism is to slow down change.  I don't mean that conservatives are against change, but not as liberals who see change itself as the goal.  Republicans are frequently seen as getting behind the curve because creating change isn't in their makeup.  But they've not handled the fiscal area in any kind of satisfactory or traditionally conservative manner.  Carrying deficits isn't conservative. 

But I don't disagree with you in principle that republicans need to step up more in both of the upcoming elections because Americans want to see some pushback on the liberal agenda.  And they want to know there's some idea of how republicans are going to accomplish that.

Some say the same thing about Clinton, but in fact, Americans have always embraced political dynasties.  Probably a holdover from our British heritage.  :pondering:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 03:20:29 pm »
I think it's called giving one's opinion, even though it might differ from yours.  Or is this just a bash-Bush thread?

Is it that you can't help yourselves? Or do you see condescension as the proper way to address the heathens? Or, is it possible you don't see the condescension in your reply? I'll refrain from giving you my gut reaction, but thank you for reinforcing my initial observation.

Some say the same thing about Clinton, but in fact, Americans have always embraced political dynasties.  Probably a holdover from our British heritage.  :pondering:

Yep, Americans tend to desire a de facto royalty. However, the Bush name has been beaten, and abused. It's my opinion that there is no way, absolutely no chance, that Jeb Bush could be elected president, and I'd bet money on that.