Author Topic: John Boehner: My Friend Jeb Bush Would Make a 'Great President'  (Read 7680 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: John Boehner: My Friend Jeb Bush Would Make a 'Great President'
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 03:32:25 pm »
Is it that you can't help yourselves? Or do you see condescension as the proper way to address the heathens? Or, is it possible you don't see the condescension in your reply? I'll refrain from giving you my gut reaction, but thank you for reinforcing my initial observation.

Yep, Americans tend to desire a de facto royalty. However, the Bush name has been beaten, and abused. It's my opinion that there is no way, absolutely no chance, that Jeb Bush could be elected president, and I'd bet money on that.

Excuse me......but pointing out that 'you' are merely offering an opinion (which is what this forum is all about) is not condescension.

How in God's name can you be anymore diplomatic than MAC was in his response. 

How about you show what words you would have used responding to BIGUN's post....insulting and calling him a RINO.

This is EXACTLY the type of horseshit that quickly got out of hand when Rap was here modding and leading the gang of posters in here that always seem to hold the position that his/her brand of Conservatism trumps or invalidates all others.

Stop taking everything personally.   Geez......
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:32:56 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »
Excuse me......but pointing out that 'you' are merely offering an opinion (which is what this forum is all about) is not condescension.

How in God's name can you be anymore diplomatic than MAC was in his response. 

How about you show what words you would have used responding to BIGUN's post....insulting and calling him a RINO.

This is EXACTLY the type of horseshit that quickly got out of hand when Rap was here modding and leading the gang of posters in here that always seem to hold the position that his/her brand of Conservatism trumps or invalidates all others.

Stop taking everything personally.   Geez......

Stop taking things personally, he says, as he takes things personally and attacks.

"It's called giving an opinion... "

No, that's not condescending, because I'd never know that it was an opinion. I'm not well schooled in such lofty things as giving opinions.

Stuff it. (And I don't mean that personally).

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 03:49:31 pm »
Thank you DC.  You no doubt stepped in at the right time.  Perhaps I should choose my threads more wisely.   :nometalk:

You shudda been a mod... :beer:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 03:51:14 pm »

I don't hold any such position and never have! But I do have strong opinions and WILL continue to express them for so long as the owners of this site allow it!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:54:19 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »
Thank you DC.  You no doubt stepped in at the right time.  Perhaps I should choose my threads more wisely.   :nometalk:

You shudda been a mod... :beer:

Wait, what? You need help when posting on a forum? Ok, whatever works for you sunshine.

Here's my contribution, in addition to choosing threads more wisely, choose your words more wisely.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 04:15:57 pm »
I don't hold any such position and never have! But I do have strong opinions and WILL continue to express them for so long as the owners of this site allow it!

What? Strong opinions? I never noticed. :laugh:  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 04:19:33 pm »
What? Strong opinions? I never noticed. :laugh:  :beer:

:mauslaff: :mauslaff:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 04:40:32 pm »
Wait, what? You need help when posting on a forum? Ok, whatever works for you sunshine.

Here's my contribution, in addition to choosing threads more wisely, choose your words more wisely.

No Relic, you missed my point.  DC was observant enough to know how I would have responded to you, and wanted to keep the thread alive and moving.  You aren't all that clever, so don't invite a pissing contest you can't win. 

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »
If the DNC could nominate a Republican President, they would nominate and elect Jeb Bush as their inside guy, with Boehener as his VP. That would be an ideal Liberal ticket.

Vote Dem and I win. Vote for Pubs, and I win. Either way the Liberal establishment wins, and everything just stays the same and the same and the same and the same and the same and the same and the same and the same

and nothing ever changes
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
With respect to the little skirmish that has broken out in this thread.

I think that "names" or "labels" are a real problem of late (in some ways, always have been, but I think more pronounced as time goes on).  We all throw them around, and in our minds we pretty much understand what we think that they mean, but how others read them is totally dependent on their points of reference, personal history, and point of view.

To me, one of the most confusing labels at this point in time is "RINO," Republican In Name Only.  OK, I get the obvious part, a person using the label to describe someone means that, in their opinion, the person is not really a "Republican," but is just using the party name as a (most likely) convenient label.  But that really begs the question, what exactly does it mean to be a "Republican" in today's context?

If I look at how the Republican party has conducted itself in recent history, then it would seem to me that a person like a Jeb Bush or a Rudy Giuliani is actually a real "Republican," not merely in name.  So at this point, the label "RINO" almost has no meaning to me.

The same goes for a lot of the other labels we use: Conservative, "True" Conservative, "Tea Party," Establishment, and so forth.

I actually believe that these labels have become so laden with connotation at this point, that they are effectively useless.  Sure, I suppose in any given population (this forum as an example), there probably are some folks that labels like "Tea Party guy/gal" or "Establishment guy/gal" probably come pretty close to describing his/her overall perspective on things, at least on a majority of issues.  But I think for the most part, those labels are pretty meaningless, especially since they often conjure up a caricature of someone that is likely to be very exaggerated, especially around the edges.

Leaving aside the other main question of what exactly does "Democrat" mean in this day and age, just think about 3 notable Republicans:

- Rand Paul: sure he has been elected to the US Senate as a Republican, but I think <L,l>ibertarian is probably the most descriptive label.
- Ted Cruz: again, US Senate Republican, but I think Constitutionalist is probably more accurate.
- Peter King: long time Republican US Rep from NY, but corrupt, war mongering, extreme authoritarian is probably closest to the mark.

We seem to have here a couple of main camps that are usually described as the "Tea Party" and "Establishment" camps.  But what exactly do they mean?  While we could probably settle around a few main points for each, I think that the real meanings are as varied as the number of posters expressing opinions.  Very individual in nature.  That being the case, I don't really think that they remain all that useful (and probably cause a lot of indigestion for the readers and posters in many threads!!).

Without the benefit of actually knowing any one here personally (and not being a mind reader), all that I can go on when I read people's posts is my interpretation of the words that they have chosen to use in their posts.  But, I think that all of us tend to "read a bit more into" others' words, we almost can't help it, we process everything through our own filters.

Because of this, I think that there are often a lot of extraneous (and very often, untrue) positions, opinions, wants, and desires attached to all of us based on our posts.  Let me try to be more clear by way of example: I don't think that the gals/guys here that everyone assumes are in the Establishment camp want bigger government, like the out of control spending, and favor the increasing hardening of the soft tyranny that has taken hold.  Nor do the Tea Party gals/guys all want gubmint to enforce morality, have their candidates/representatives making inane speeches about social ills that are of no concern of gubmint, or support an overnight draconian reduction of gubmint to a level that would paralyze the nation.

I actually believe that there is a different point of view that separates a fair number of us into two "camps."  I believe that a great deal of the separation can be found along the lines of one's perspective on the following:

- those that believe that the current "system" is salvageable, using the ballot box, over time we can halt the decline and re-set the course of the nation back onto a more sustainable path...  these are the people that believe that they still have a team on the field, the Republicans, and that by electing enough of them to create majorities in the legislative branches, and even regaining the presidency, the nation can be saved before it all comes crashing down.  And because of these beliefs, we tend to pack all of these folks into the "Establishment" camp, regardless of how close the fit, or not.

- those that believe that the current "system" is no longer salvageable, that it is highly unlikely that the ballot box remains an effective remedy, that for all intents and purposes we no longer have a team on the field (if we ever really did, but that's fodder for another thread!), and that is no longer matters which of the "teams" are in control except for the most meaningless details around the edges, and perhaps the length of time that the decline lingers on.  And because of these beliefs, we tend to pack all of these folks into the "Tea Party" camp, regardless of how close the fit, or not.

Yes, I've taken up the bulk of my lunch time typing this in......  I hope that it has some meaning for someone aside from my now hungry self!!  lol

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:55:44 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 05:01:04 pm »
 goopo
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 05:02:21 pm »
Mac, DCP... kudos.  I am too late to the dance to add or detract.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »
With respect to the little skirmish that has broken out in this thread.

I think that "names" or "labels" are a real problem of late (in some ways, always have been, but I think more pronounced as time goes on).  We all throw them around, and in our minds we pretty much understand what we think that they mean, but how others read them is totally dependent on their points of reference, personal history, and point of view.

To me, one of the most confusing labels at this point in time is "RINO," Republican In Name Only.  OK, I get the obvious part, a person using the label to describe someone means that, in their opinion, the person is not really a "Republican," but is just using the party name as a (most likely) convenient label.  But that really begs the question, what exactly does it mean to be a "Republican" in today's context?

If I look at how the Republican party has conducted itself in recent history, then it would seem to me that a person like a Jeb Bush or a Rudy Giuliani is actually a real "Republican," not merely in name.  So at this point, the label "RINO" almost has no meaning to me.

The same goes for a lot of the other labels we use: Conservative, "True" Conservative, "Tea Party," Establishment, and so forth.

I actually believe that these labels have become so laden with connotation at this point, that they are effectively useless.  Sure, I suppose in any given population (this forum as an example), there probably are some folks that labels like "Tea Party guy/gal" or "Establishment guy/gal" probably come pretty close to describing his/her overall perspective on things, at least on a majority of issues.  But I think for the most part, those labels are pretty meaningless, especially since they often conjure up a caricature of someone that is likely to be very exaggerated, especially around the edges.

Leaving aside the other main question of what exactly does "Democrat" mean in this day and age, just think about 3 notable Republicans:

- Rand Paul: sure he has been elected to the US Senate as a Republican, but I think <L,l>ibertarian is probably the most descriptive label.
- Ted Cruz: again, US Senate Republican, but I think Constitutionalist is probably more accurate.
- Peter King: long time Republican US Rep from NY, but corrupt, war mongering, extreme authoritarian is probably closest to the mark.

We seem to have here a couple of main camps that are usually described as the "Tea Party" and "Establishment" camps.  But what exactly do they mean?  While we could probably settle around a few main points for each, I think that the real meanings are as varied as the number of posters expressing opinions.  Very individual in nature.  That being the case, I don't really think that they remain all that useful (and probably cause a lot of indigestion for the readers and posters in many threads!!).

Without the benefit of actually knowing any one here personally (and not being a mind reader), all that I can go on when I read people's posts is my interpretation of the words that they have chosen to use in their posts.  But, I think that all of us tend to "read a bit more into" others' words, we almost can't help it, we process everything through our own filters.

Because of this, I think that there are often a lot of extraneous (and very often, untrue) positions, opinions, wants, and desires attached to all of us based on our posts.  Let me try to be more clear by way of example: I don't think that the gals/guys here that everyone assumes are in the Establishment camp want bigger government, like the out of control spending, and favor the increasing hardening of the soft tyranny that has taken hold.  Nor do the Tea Party gals/guys all want gubmint to enforce morality, have their candidates/representatives making inane speeches about social ills that are of no concern of gubmint, or support an overnight draconian reduction of gubmint to a level that would paralyze the nation.

I actually believe that there is a different point of view that separates a fair number of us into two "camps."  I believe that a great deal of the separation can be found along the lines of one's perspective on the following:

- those that believe that the current "system" is salvageable, using the ballot box, over time we can halt the decline and re-set the course of the nation back onto a more sustainable path...  these are the people that believe that they still have a team on the field, the Republicans, and that by electing enough of them to create majorities in the legislative branches, and even regaining the presidency, the nation can be saved before it all comes crashing down.  And because of these beliefs, we tend to pack all of these folks into the "Establishment" camp, regardless of how close the fit, or not.

- those that believe that the current "system" is no longer salvageable, that it is highly unlikely that the ballot box remains an effective remedy, that for all intents and purposes we no longer have a team on the field (if we ever really did, but that's fodder for another thread!), and that is no longer matters which of the "teams" are in control except for the most meaningless details around the edges, and perhaps the length of time that the decline lingers on.  And because of these beliefs, we tend to pack all of these folks into the "Tea Party" camp, regardless of how close the fit, or not.

Yes, I've taken up the bulk of my lunch time typing this in......  I hope that it has some meaning for someone aside from my now hungry self!!  lol

Point well made and well taken Katz!

I think the use of all those labels is due to our personal time constraints and our tendency toward laziness.  Instead of taking the additional time necessary to think through and type out the reasons for our having taken  the position we have on this or that  candidate we just throw out a label and let that suffice. I know I have been guilty of that and will do my best to avoid it in the future but not going to make any guarantees.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 05:14:51 pm »
Point well made and well taken Katz!

I think the use of all those labels is due to our personal time constraints and our tendency toward laziness.  Instead of taking the additional time necessary to think through and type out the reasons for our having taken  the position we have on this or that  candidate we just throw out a label and let that suffice. I know I have been guilty of that and will do my best to avoid it in the future but not going to make any guarantees.

Thanks, Bigun!

That's all anybody can ask....do your best, with no guarantees.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 05:17:42 pm »
Mac, DCP... kudos.  I am too late to the dance to add or detract.

Had to run out for an appointment right after posting.

Katzenjammer essentially nailed it...so upon returning, I'm "late to the dance" too.! 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »
Katzenjammer wrote:

Katz, I think you did a pretty nice job there, and hope you finally got your lunch.

This is heading into the primary season, which IMO should generate the internal debates on both philosophy and candidates.  You may be right as to the two camps, I'm not sure as I haven't been around here for a while.  I certainly fit into the camp of the ballot box.  Whether the system is salvageable or not, the alternative to the ballot box is, for me, unthinkable.  But yes, I want a smaller, less intrusive government.  I also want to see a more fiscally prudent government and that means for me, reducing our debt dramatically.  It isn't for my grandchildren to assume, it's for us.  We created it; we need to fix it. 

But like you say, it's for another thread.  This one has likely run its course.

Again, nice post and really well thought out.   :beer:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 05:42:50 pm »
Thanks, Bigun!

That's all anybody can ask....do your best, with no guarantees.    :laugh:

You're welcome!

Now back to the subject of this thread.  A Jeb Bush presidency.

Before I get started I think I should provide a little background information just so everyone get's where I'm coming from.

In 1992 i was a volunteer in the G. H. W. Bush campaign and spent many hundreds of hours doing all manner of things that must be done in such a campaign and learned that no amount of work on behalf of a candidate will suffice to cover for a candidate who is not himself engaged. I'll leave that right there.

Two years later G. W. became a candidate for Texas Governor and I myself was on same ballot for a lesser state wide office in Texas. He won and I lost but in the process I got to know the man well and he made Texas a GREAT governor!

Imagine my delight when G.W. decided to throw his hat in for president in 2000! To make a long story short I worked my A$$ off and we managed (barely) to get him elected. I think he did a great job in the area of foreign policy but broke my heart on the domestic front because he chose to listen to the likes of Karl Rove and Karen Hughes instead of sticking to the things he himself truly believed in!

In short I got to know other members of that family as well and will tell you that privately Jeb is not nearly as conservative as G.W. Not even close!

He is far virtually everything I'm against and believe that allowing  him the nomination will mean the end of conservatism in this country forever! Hence I will NOT vote for him under any circumstance!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:44:53 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »
I want a smaller, less intrusive government.  I also want to see a more fiscally prudent government and that means for me, reducing our debt dramatically.  It isn't for my grandchildren to assume, it's for us.  We created it; we need to fix it.

I believe that there is near universal agreement with that sentiment on this forum. Our problem seems to be that we can't agree on which vehicle to ride in to get there.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:25 pm »
No Relic, you missed my point.  DC was observant enough to know how I would have responded to you, and wanted to keep the thread alive and moving.  You aren't all that clever, so don't invite a pissing contest you can't win.

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:25:46 pm by Relic »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 06:16:22 pm »
I believe that there is near universal agreement with that sentiment on this forum. Our problem seems to be that we can't agree on which vehicle to ride in to get there.

We might not agree on the means to achieve that, but it should be debatable.  There are a lot of contentious issues out there that are important to conservatives regardless of how one defines that term.  The national debt, immigration, the size of government, tax policy, the role and size of our military are some of those issues.  We have to be able to debate them among ourselves, or how can we do so with the more liberal factions of America?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 06:19:14 pm »
We might not agree on the means to achieve that, but it should be debatable.  There are a lot of contentious issues out there that are important to conservatives regardless of how one defines that term.  The national debt, immigration, the size of government, tax policy, the role and size of our military are some of those issues.  We have to be able to debate them among ourselves, or how can we do so with the more liberal factions of America?

I agree that we can and should debate them. Hell! we have been debating them for as long as I can remember.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:20:36 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2014, 06:22:58 pm »
Ok, but you made my point. Arrogance and condescension thy name is MACVSOG68.

If you were cede that I am what I say I am, a libertarian with some moderate views, then what does it say about your postings that you rankle someone such as me? Want to make inroads? Do you have a point worth making? Try to do so without being insulting. Could it be that you're the one trying to prove that you're the smartest person in the room? I never claimed to be.

Relic, I respectfully submit that I don't see the reason for your ire.  Admittedly, I am rushed and a bit thick-headed today but I don't see it.  At least not on this thread.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 06:28:22 pm »
Ok, but you made my point. Arrogance and condescension thy name is MACVSOG68.

If someone posts this: "This is another one of those threads. Establishment types come in, and lecture the rest of the heathens, trying to educate the blood thirsty savages".
referring to someone else as arrogant and condescending seem strange at best.

If you were cede that I am what I say I am, a libertarian with some moderate views, then what does it say about your postings that you rankle someone such as me? Want to make inroads? Do you have a point worth making? Try to do so without being insulting. Could it be that you're the one trying to prove that you're the smartest person in the room? I never claimed to be.

Sigh...You take care.

Offline Relic

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 06:36:41 pm »
Relic, I respectfully submit that I don't see the reason for your ire.  Admittedly, I am rushed and a bit thick-headed today but I don't see it.  At least not on this thread.

It's one of those things where it just gets old. I'm darn sick and tired of being preached at. There are posters who come in with a style that conveys a sense of superiority. I'm tired of hearing how just one more vote for some idiot who will govern as a Democrat is what we need. If I'm going to get a Democrat, heck, I may as well vote for one.

Believe it or not, I actually understand the concept that winning is the way to fix things within the system. I get that the electorate is changing. I understand that the candidates are a reflection of the electorate. But I'm in the camp that thinks the system is decent, but the electorate is broken beyond repair.

If we keep doing what we've always done, we'll get what we always got. All I want is a straight shooter who will at least try to do what's right for the country. I don't care how you label that person, that's all I want. It's time to kick the double talkers and the permanent political class to the curb.

I've seen enough of the dismissive posts by the establishment types. It hit my last nerve today.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 06:50:16 pm »
I understand Relic.  In my years of posting, I have only lost my "cool" a couple times and in each case the thread I lost it on was relatively benign.  Hang in there.
John Steinbeck