Author Topic: Dolphins' Don Jones fined, suspended for negative Michael Sam tweet  (Read 421 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-05-11/don-jones-suspended-dolphins-tweet-michael-sam-gay-football-player-nfl-draft-apology-reaction

by Tadd Haislop
May 11, 2014

Shortly after Michael Sam was selected by the St. Louis Rams on Saturday to become the first openly gay player drafted in NFL history, Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones expressed his apparent displeasure in a one-word tweet that read "Horrible."

On Sunday, Jones apologized for his remark and received his expected punishment in the form of a fine and suspension from the Dolphins. The team released a statement including Jones' apology:

“I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media. I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career. I sincerely apologize to Mr. Ross, my teammates, coaches, staff and fans for these tweets. I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward.”

Jones is suspended from team activities until he "completes educational training" for his actions, according to the release. He was also fined an undisclosed amount.

“We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment, coach Joe Philbin said. "These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program. We will continue to emphasize and educate our players that these statements will not be tolerated.”
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lando Lincoln

Remind me again... how many players were suspended for mocking Tim Tebow?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

Just horrible to only be able to stand by and watch this  occur.

Offline PzLdr

He should have refused the fine, the sensitivity training, and demanded a trade to any team but the Rams.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee