Author Topic: Ann Coulter's Hashtag Hijacking Of #BringBackOurGirls Backfires Big Time  (Read 773 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ann-coulter-twitter-hashtag-backfires

CAITLIN MACNEAL – MAY 12, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter on Sunday night joined the band of conservatives mocking the #BringBackOurGirls social media campaign, which began as a way to call attention to the 300 Nigerian girls kidnapped by Boko Haram.

Coulter posted a photo to Twitter with her own iteration of the hashtag, in an apparent attempt to ridicule some of the high profile people, including First Lady Michelle Obama, who took part in the original campaign.

Ann Coulter @AnnCoulter
Follow
My hashtag contribution to world affairs ...
8:55 PM - 11 May 2014

She got more than 1,000 retweets, including by Red State's Erick Erickson. Conservative radio host Thomas Purcell also tweeted a photo of himself holding up Coulter's hashtag.

However, her attempt backfired with a slew of people tweeting images of Coulter holding the same sign but photoshopped with messages that turned the tables on her. Gawker curated many of them, including some of the crudest.

Here's a sampling of the tweets:

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
BFD!

They could take Michelle Obama's pic and change that to #BringBackMyHusbandsBalls

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

Ann Coulter? And you think it backfired?

Ms. Coulter operates on the theory that no attention is bad. So, in this case, she won.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Ann Coulter? And you think it backfired?

Ms. Coulter operates on the theory that no attention is bad. So, in this case, she won.

For her, anyway. She bugs me in a way I simply can't define.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

Put me in that camp. Although, I do know her attention whoring is a factor. I am convinced she would say or do almost anything to be noticed.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The vileness-- and cluelessness-- of the comments speaks for itself.

It is apparently oblivious to these people that the reason we don't like the whole idea is because it does NOTHING to actually solve the problem. This is a typical liberal mindset; they have no grasp of the concept that something might not work as planned.

To think, these people vote.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The vileness-- and cluelessness-- of the comments speaks for itself.

It is apparently oblivious to these people that the reason we don't like the whole idea is because it does NOTHING to actually solve the problem. This is a typical liberal mindset; they have no grasp of the concept that something might not work as planned.

To think, these people vote.

Not sure I agree.

What they're doing with this hashtag thing.....no different than tying a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree back in the day.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

Where have these people been? Moochelle's hashtag selfie is all over the internet, with some very funny fake messages substituted. Coulter was hardly the first "victim" of such "turning the tables."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
Not sure I agree.

What they're doing with this hashtag thing.....no different than tying a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree back in the day.

I'd say this is true for the average person--one who has an infinitesimally small influence over events in a far-flung land.  For the presidential administration in the most powerful nation in the world, not so much.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline LottieDah

Ann Coulter tends to rub people the wrong way, myself included.  She needs a Midol and a cheeseburger stat.

Online mountaineer

It backfired for Moochelle as much as it supposedly did for Coulter. When you see Mooch's duck-lipped selfies re-posted with signs reading, "Impeach him now!" I'd say her little exercise in symbolism has failed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org