Author Topic: CDC: Syphilis Reaches Highest Level Since 1995, Steady Rise In Gay And Bisexual Men  (Read 1270 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/05/09/cdc-syphilis-reaches-highest-level-since-1995-steady-rise-in-gay-and-bisexual-men/

May 9, 2014

Health officials say syphilis has reached its highest level since 1995 (...) there has been a steady rise in gay and bisexual men catching the disease. They account for most of the recent infectious cases. Since 2005, the rate in men has nearly doubled. It is much lower in women and hasn’t changed much.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Don't ever try to tell me God lacks a sense of humor.     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

Some people persist in the delusion that one can avoid the consequences of one's actions, despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Something I have observed among gay men that I have been acquainted with, it is also something I have observed with alcoholics - many of them have a "suicide" wish.  Through their behavior, they end up killing themselves "an inch at a time". 

I've had close relatives that absolutely drank themselves to death, despite the efforts and prayers of those who loved them.  I've seen gay men (not that familiar with many lesbians) engage in dangerous sex practices despite knowing the risks.  They eventually come to a tragic end.  I don't know if it is something in their make-up, or if it is a symptom of a deep mental illness - but it is like they are hell-bent on self-destruction.  And it is very sad to have to watch...helplessly. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mountaineer

I don't know if it is something in their make-up, or if it is a symptom of a deep mental illness
I believe same-sex attraction itself is a form of mental illness. It's not surprising that so many homosexuals - male and female - abuse drugs and alcohol or engage in practices they know are dangerous.

Offline DCPatriot

I believe same-sex attraction itself is a form of mental illness. It's not surprising that so many homosexuals - male and female - abuse drugs and alcohol or engage in practices they know are dangerous.

Homosexuality exists in virtually every species.  ERGO...imho, it's a genetic defect, not a mental illness.

Of course, "mental illness" could also be a genetic defect, but until they find the area of the brain circuitry that transmits where the errant signals originate.....here we are.

That's my POV and I'm sticking to it!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Homosexuality exists in virtually every species.  ERGO...imho, it's a genetic defect, not a mental illness.

Of course, "mental illness" could also be a genetic defect, but until they find the area of the brain circuitry that transmits where the errant signals originate.....here we are.

That's my POV and I'm sticking to it!
If it were genetic, the basic forces of natural selection would crush it within a few generations. There has been some science suggesting developmental/biological factors may be at play, but if that's the case, those are theoretically treatable.

Let's stop and realize for a moment what homosexuality is, at its root: the brain misinterprets the signals of a member of the same sex as those of a potential sex partner, instead of those signals of a member of the opposite sex.

Offline DCPatriot

If it were genetic, the basic forces of natural selection would crush it within a few generations. There has been some science suggesting developmental/biological factors may be at play, but if that's the case, those are theoretically treatable.

Let's stop and realize for a moment what homosexuality is, at its root: the brain misinterprets the signals of a member of the same sex as those of a potential sex partner, instead of those signals of a member of the opposite sex.

And those 'signals' are sent from the brain and not a gland, aren't they?

Offline GourmetDan

And where do those 'signals' ultimately originate?

Egg... meet Chicken...

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:03:36 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline DCPatriot

And where do those 'signals' ultimately originate?

Egg... meet Chicken...

:beer:

Offline GourmetDan

:beer:

Unfortunately, that means it is not genetic nor is it a biological condition...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline DCPatriot

Unfortunately, that means it is not genetic nor is it a biological condition...

We'll have to agree to disagree.   Vehemently!   LOL! 

Offline GourmetDan

We'll have to agree to disagree.   Vehemently!   LOL!

That's fine.  I just wanted it to be clear that we did disagree.

The 'beer smiley' didn't leave that impression, IMO...

Offline LambChop

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

They're sent through the sensory organs. The eyes, primarily, but also through touch and possibly through the nose if you believe in pheromones. It's the brain that processes these senses, which in turn activates the glands.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Some people persist in the delusion that one can avoid the consequences of one's actions, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

That is the very first plank in the Democratic Party Platform.

Oceander

why would the forces of natural selection  "crush it?"  that doesn't follow at all.  for example, the concept of the "beard" has been around for ages and there are plenty of gay men who have also been fathers (and no doubt lesbian women who have also been mothers via the traditional route).  The urge may go one way, but the equipment still functions perfectly well, and the urge is certainly controllable.

which brings out a rather amusing irony of the so-called "gay marriage" phenomenon:  by making it unnecessary for homosexual individuals to get involved in any sort of hetero relationships, it might just accomplish what no amount of natural selection has accomplished.  This follows since it is almost impossible for two gay people to have a child from their own genetic material (notwithstanding the in vitro techniques that, supposedly, would make it possible to create a child using an egg from one lesbian and the bare genetic material from the other).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:20:38 pm by Oceander »

Online mountaineer

STD's are on the rise in other demographics too:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/senior-citizens-spreading-stds-like-wildfire/
Perhaps the common denominator is the abandonment of traditional morality, as well as the aforementioned refusal to believe actions have consequences.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Perhaps the common denominator is the abandonment of traditional morality, as well as the aforementioned refusal to believe actions have consequences.

I would add to that the rising expectation of being able to get what you want now and pay for it later.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink