Author Topic: Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth  (Read 245 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »

By Chris Caesar Staff
    May 11, 2014 4:53 PM

An Ohio mother who gave birth to twins got a special Mother’s Day surprise Sunday when her difficult pregnancy culminated with the photograph of a lifetime: a picture of her babies, barely a minute old, holding hands as they faced their new world.

Sarah Thistlewhistle’s newborns were monoamniotic—or “mono mono”—twins, a rare condition in which two fetuses share a single amniotic sack and remain in near-constant physical contact for the duration of the pregnancy. The formation occurs in approximately .3 percent of births and can require intensive care during the third trimester to avoid complications.

That prenatal connection between the two twins, Jenna and Jillian, made the moment all the more powerful, Thistlewhistle said.

The moment was captured by journalists and members of the hospital’s communications team, who were covering the already unusual birth.

“I didn’t think they would come out and instantly holding hands. It was overwhelming. I can’t even put into words,” she told ABC News. “There wasn’t a dry eye in the whole OR.”

The girls are reportedly healthy and under observation at Akron General Medical Center.
Caesar can be reached at or via Twitter @ChrisCaesar.

Support the USO
#NeverHillary  Not#NeverTrump

Offline R4 TrumPence

• Owner
  • Administrator
Re: Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
That is amazing. I would like to read the study of mono mono twins.  I am sure there are some on the net..

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Silence is Golden. Boredom is even better.
Re: Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »

Wish doctors could write clearly.
Before you bitch about the youth of today ... think about who raised them.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo