Author Topic: Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth  (Read 465 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:57:32 pm »
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2014/05/11/photo-rare-twins-hold-hands-moments-after-birth/LUnsIj76FkGQZeq8UZJJ0J/story.html

By Chris Caesar
    Boston.com Staff
    May 11, 2014 4:53 PM

An Ohio mother who gave birth to twins got a special Mother’s Day surprise Sunday when her difficult pregnancy culminated with the photograph of a lifetime: a picture of her babies, barely a minute old, holding hands as they faced their new world.

Sarah Thistlewhistle’s newborns were monoamniotic—or “mono mono”—twins, a rare condition in which two fetuses share a single amniotic sack and remain in near-constant physical contact for the duration of the pregnancy. The formation occurs in approximately .3 percent of births and can require intensive care during the third trimester to avoid complications.

That prenatal connection between the two twins, Jenna and Jillian, made the moment all the more powerful, Thistlewhistle said.

The moment was captured by journalists and members of the hospital’s communications team, who were covering the already unusual birth.

“I didn’t think they would come out and instantly holding hands. It was overwhelming. I can’t even put into words,” she told ABC News. “There wasn’t a dry eye in the whole OR.”

The girls are reportedly healthy and under observation at Akron General Medical Center.
Caesar can be reached at Christopher.Caesar@globe.com or via Twitter @ChrisCaesar.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline R4 TrumPence

Re: Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:06:50 am »
That is amazing. I would like to read the study of mono mono twins.  I am sure there are some on the net..

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Photo: Rare Twins Hold Hands Moments After Birth
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:12:17 am »
http://www.exxcellence.org/pearls.php?id=52

Wish doctors could write clearly.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink