Author Topic: Redskins great LaVar Arrington can’t market himself as a Redskins great  (Read 708 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Redskins great LaVar Arrington can’t market himself as a Redskins great
Dan Steinberg

“The Washington Redskins announced today the 10 members of the organization selected to join the 70 Greatest Redskins named in 2002 and complete the 80 Greatest Redskins of All-Time,” the team’s Web site announced in the summer of 2012. That’s a bunch of greatness in one sentence. Former linebacker LaVar Arrington was among the 10 men “selected by fans and a blue ribbon panel” to join that list of great Redskins.

But being named a Redskins great is different than marketing yourself as a Redskins great, and so the team recently sent Arrington a cease-and-desist letter about a flier for his football tackling camps that refers to him as a “Redskins great” and includes a photo of him in a Redskins uniform.

Arrington — a Washington Post contributor and someone I consider a friend — wrote about the incident on Twitter Thursday from New York, where he’s contributing to NFL Network’s draft coverage. He confirmed in a text message that the above image is the one that caught the Redskins’ attention.

A Redskins spokesman declined to comment. Arrington, in an interview with Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan, said he respected the legal implications and that he hadn’t prepared the flier himself, but joked that using the Redskins name and colors would not have helped camp attendance much.

“They won three games last year, man,” Arrington said on the show. “I mean, it’s not like saying ‘Redskins great’ is going to sell out my camp. … I mean, we didn’t win very many games when I was there, so I just thought I was doing them a favor.”

He said his tweets were “all in good fun,” but also poked fun at the Redskins, who did not have a pick in Thursday’s first round.

“I guess since they’re not picking anybody tonight, I guess they figured they’d concentrate on other things,” he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/05/09/redskins-great-lavar-arrington-cant-market-himself-as-a-redskins-great/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

A little background to the relationship Arrington has with the Redskins.....

1)  He wants the named changed.

2) They [assorted hosts on 106.7 FM the Fan) have repeatedly badmouthed Dan Snyder, the Redskins' owner as the "worst owner in the league"

3) They trash Snyder as being meddlesome and vindictive and too much of a star-struck fan when dealing with the GM, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!

2) They [assorted hosts on 106.7 FM the Fan) have repeatedly badmouthed Dan Snyder, the Redskins' owner as the "worst owner in the league"

3) They trash Snyder as being meddlesome and vindictive and too much of a star-struck fan when dealing with the GM, etc..

I agree that Snyder should change the name of his team. Drop the "Washington" part. It adds nothing and denotes a serious lack of ethics.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Online DCPatriot

I agree that Snyder should change the name of his team. Drop the "Washington" part. It adds nothing and denotes a serious lack of ethics.

LOL!  I like it!    :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Sounds about right. Dan Snyder owns his own radio stations in the DC metro to carry his programming. So that leaves CBS-owned 106.7 to be the antagonists. This feud is all business.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

I just looked at the guy's stats.

He had four good years.  Four.  I'm trying to figure out how that gains him the designation "great."  Maybe in Washington he's considered "great."

Randy White was great.  Arrington couldn't hold his jock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_White_(American_football)
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.