Author Topic: Pelosi protests new Benghazi committee by declining to appoint Democrats to it — for now  (Read 556 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://hotair.com/archives/2014/05/09/pelosi-protests-new-benghazi-committee-by-declining-to-appoint-democrats-to-it-for-now/

Pelosi protests new Benghazi committee by declining to appoint Democrats to it — for now
posted at 3:21 pm on May 9, 2014 by Allahpundit

You can read the full text of the letter she sent to Boehner at the Examiner. Fox News heard from its sources a few hours ago that she was thinking of appointing a single Dem to the committee, which makes sense. She and her caucus want to show people that they think it’s illegitimate, which counsels a boycott, but they also don’t want GOP members having a field day with Democratic witnesses on TV with no Dems on the committee to push back, which counsels participation. Obvious solution: Partial boycott. Let Elijah Cummings participate, rant about a witch hunt and show trial and “evil tree” or whatever, and leave the other Democratic seats on the platform empty. I still think that’s the way they’ll go.

But for now, we’re at an impasse.

Pelosi responds to Boehner on #Benghazi panel — in new letter says GOP offer "fundamentally unfair." pic.twitter.com/TmUop2YRLA

— Derek Wallbank (@dwallbank) May 9, 2014

Sounds to me like those three elements in the first paragraph are her demands for full Democratic participation. If Boehner refuses, then she’ll only send one or two members. (I’d be shocked if they skipped it entirely.) But that raises a question: What would Boehner like to see happen here? Does he want a Dem boycott? Does he care either way? They’re going to screech that the committee’s bogus no matter what happens, in which case maybe Boehner figures that it’s better not to have them there at all. Let Gowdy and the rest of the GOP contingent have free rein to tee off on Democratic witnesses. After a few days of that, Pelosi will cave and appoint some Democratic members whether he agrees to her demands or not. I’m eager to see if he calls her bluff here.

Two vids for you. The first is of Pelosi at her presser today, complaining that people are either tired of Benghazi or “they never knew about it in the first place,” which … would seem to suggest that a select committee is needed. The second is the DNC’s first attempt to delegitimize the committee with advertising. Prepare for much, much more of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXlKxxGvwVc
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The GOP can only benefit, if the committee appeals to, informs, and convinces enough swing voters.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Fine.  Considering the breadth of the subpoena power this committee is going to have, the Democrats would be idiots to let Pelousy have her way and play political games with appointments.  I believe there are plenty of responsible Democrats who are just as committed to finding the truth about Benghazi as the Republicans in Congress are, and they are not going to stand for very much political theater out of the Far Left.

The first people up on the subpoena list is every single "adviser" that the Hildebeest had during her tenure as SecState, and the Democrats would be wise to get all of their available seats filled with people who are at least as competent as the Republican side is...but that's a very tall order which is why Pelousy is stalling for time.

The squirming has only begun on this one. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I say, that's just fine, Ms. Pelosi.   

And then, I'd have the locks changed on the doors to the chamber.  Pay back's a beotch.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald