Author Topic: Boehner Names Members for Benghazi Select Committee  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Boehner Names Members for Benghazi Select Committee
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:49:23 pm »
Boehner Names Members for Benghazi Select Committee

WASHINGTON, DC – House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) today named the seven Republican members of the Select Committee on the Events Surrounding the 2012 Terrorist Attack in Benghazi. The Select Committee also provides for five Democratic members, and those names will be released when provided by the House Minority Leader.  Boehner issued the following statement:

“This investigation is about getting answers for the families of the victims and for the American people. These members have each demonstrated a commitment to this goal, and I have confidence that they will lead a serious, fact-based inquiry. As I have expressed to each of them, I expect this committee to carry out an investigation worthy of the American lives lost in Benghazi. I also urge my Democratic colleagues to treat this tragedy with the proper respect and appoint members so that we can finally, on a bipartisan basis, get answers, provide accountability, and help deliver justice. It is critical that this committee do its work in a focused, timely manner, so that the House can continue to make the economy and job creation its priorities.”

The Republican members of the Select Committee will be:

Rep. Susan Brooks (R-IN)
Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), Chairman
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH)
Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS)
Rep. Martha Roby (R-AL)
Rep. Peter Roskam (R-IL)
Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-GA)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/boehner-names-members-benghazi-select-committee_791211.html
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Boehner Names Members for Benghazi Select Committee
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »
I must say that this looks very good to me.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:54:18 pm »

I agree Bigun.  You can always pick nits with these things, but I am okay with the choices.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:59:04 pm »
It will be interesting to see who Pelosi seats.  I gotta believe this has too much potential to erupt into a real-deal scandal for the Dems to boycott.  And then, the Committee rules will be interesting.  Gowdy has to hold firm on no 5-minute preambles/speeches with no substantive questions as the Dems are wont to do.
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »
It will be interesting to see who Pelosi seats.  I gotta believe this has too much potential to erupt into a real-deal scandal for the Dems to boycott.  And then, the Committee rules will be interesting.  Gowdy has to hold firm on no 5-minute preambles/speeches with no substantive questions as the Dems are wont to do.
It sure will be interesting to see who she picks. I am sure it will be the loudest pyles she has in House.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:02:56 pm »
It sure will be interesting to see who she picks. I am sure it will be the loudest pyles she has in House.

I suspect so, but that would be a mistake in my view.  They need to take this seriously.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:27 pm »
Congresswoman Susan Brooks represents the 5th District of Indiana, which spans eight diverse counties throughout the central part of the Hoosier State. As a new member of Congress, she currently serves on the Education and Workforce, Homeland Security and Ethics Committees. She is also the Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response and Communications.

Her strong background in both the public and private sectors includes experience as a proven difference maker in areas such as public safety, homeland security, counter-terrorism and economic development.

After receiving her undergraduate degree from Miami University of Ohio, Susan earned a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. In May of 2013, Susan was awarded an honorary Doctor of Public Service degree from Marian University in Indianapolis. She resides in Carmel, Indiana with her husband David and they have two young adult children.

Congressman Jim Jordan was born and raised in Champaign County, Ohio and attended Graham High School, graduating in 1982. While at Graham, he was a four-time state wrestling champion with a career record of 150-1. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1986, obtaining his bachelor's degree in economics. Jordan was a two-time NCAA Division I wrestling champion. In the 1985 NCAA championship match, Jordan defeated future two-time Olympic gold medalist and four-time world champion John Smith.[1] He later earned a master's degree in education from the Ohio State University in Columbus, and in 2001 obtained his law degree from Capital University, also in Columbus. Before entering politics, he was an assistant wrestling coach with the Ohio State University wrestling program.

Congressman Mike Pompeo ("Pom-PAY-oh") is a second term congressman from the 4th District. As a teenager, he enrolled at the United States Military Academy at West Point. He graduated first in his class from West Point in 1986 and then served as a cavalry officer patrolling the Iron Curtain before the fall of the Berlin Wall. He also served with the 2nd Squadron, 7th Cavalry in the Fourth Infantry Division.

After earning a law degree, Mike returned to his mother's family roots in South Central Kansas and founded Thayer Aerospace, where he served as CEO for more than a decade providing components for commercial and military aircraft. He then became President of Sentry International, an oilfield equipment manufacturing, distribution, and service company.

Rep. Martha Roby (ROH-bee) is currently in her second term serving the people of Alabama’s 2nd Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives. Prior to being elected to Congress, Rep. Roby worked as an attorney and served as a city councilman in her hometown of Montgomery.

Born and raised in the district he serves, Chief Deputy Whip Peter Roskam is now in his fourth term in the United States House of Representatives. According to the Washington Post, Roskam “serves as a calming, drama-free influence” on Capitol Hill, and is regularly praised for his ability to distill complex national issues to their core. 

Rep Peter Roskam graduated from the University of Illinois before spending his early career in the office of his mentor, legendary Congressman Henry Hyde. He later earned his J.D. from IIT-Kent Chicago College of Law and went on to practice law in suburban Chicagoland, developing significant experience as a litigator. Roskam has represented Chicago's western suburbs in both the Illinois House of Representatives and Senate, where he served alongside then State-Senator Barack Obama, where they partnered to enact significant reforms to the state’s criminal justice system.

Rep Lynn Westmoreland was born and raised in Georgia, living more than 25 years in Fayette County before moving to his current residence in Coweta County. A true American entrepreneur, Lynn began his own building company L.A.W. Builders. While running his business, Lynn was elected to the Georgia State House, where he served proudly for 12 years. In the state House, Lynn developed a reputation for fighting for lower taxes and smaller government. He was eventually elected to serve as the Republican Leader, a position he held for three years. His hard work and dedication is credited as one of the major reasons the Republican Party was able to win the majority in the Georgia State House for the first time.

BiographyIn 2004, Lynn was elected to the United States House of Representatives for Georgia's Eighth Congressional District. After a long redistricting battle, the Eighth District was converted into the Third District, which stretches from the southern suburbs of metro Atlanta into Middle Georgia and down to Columbus. In 2012, Lynn was re-elected to his fifth term in Congress.

Lynn and his wife Joan have been married for 44 years. They have three children and seven grandchildren.

And we already know all about Trey Gowdy.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:16:45 pm »

This isn't going to operate in the same fashion you are used to with standing committees! There will be at length depositions of witnesses prior to hearings and most of the questioning in the hearings will be conducted by Majority and Minority counsel.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 05:36:21 pm »
Darn it I was hoping Rep. Jason Chaffetz would be on it...drats!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 05:38:50 pm »
Darn it I was hoping Rep. Jason Chaffetz would be on it...drats!

I was as well.  But the committee is solid.
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 05:43:39 pm »
If I do a live thread everyday on it will you all participate?....
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:23 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/205715-boehner-stacks-benghazi-panel-with-lawyers

Speaker Boehner stacks special Benghazi committee with lawyers

By Russell Berman - 05/09/14 01:01 PM EDT

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is stacking the House select committee on Benghazi with lawyers as he looks to demonstrate that the panel will be a serious investigation and not a partisan exercise.

The Speaker announced his picks to serve under Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) on the special committee on Friday, selecting a mix of junior and senior members and adding an additional former federal prosecutor in freshman Rep. Susan Brooks (R-Ind.).

In addition to Brooks and Gowdy, Boehner’s appointees are Reps. Peter Roskam (Ill.), Jim Jordan (Ohio), Lynn Westmoreland (Ga.), Mike Pompeo (Kan.) and Martha Roby (Ala.).

Roskam is the highest-ranking member and serves now as the GOP’s chief deputy whip, while Jordan and Westmoreland are staunch conservatives who have been deeply involved in the Benghazi investigations to date. Pompeo is the only military veteran, while Roby led a probe into the Benghazi attack as a subcommittee chairwoman on the House Armed Services Committee.

They will join Gowdy, who served as a prosecutor for 16 years before his election to Congress in 2010.

“This investigation is about getting answers for the families of the victims and for the American people,” Boehner said in a statement. “These members have each demonstrated a commitment to this goal, and I have confidence that they will lead a serious, fact-based inquiry. As I have expressed to each of them, I expect this committee to carry out an investigation worthy of the American lives lost in Benghazi.”

The Speaker also called on Democrats to make their appointments to the panel, although it was unclear on Friday whether they would participate. Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) emerged from a meeting with her caucus without a decision, and the Democratic leadership was meeting Friday afternoon to consider a response from Boehner’s office to a letter outlining their concerns about the ratio.

Democrats had wanted an even split of Republicans and Democrats on the panel. But after Boehner rejected that demand, they are instead pushing for a firm commitment that Democrats will have a say in the issuing of subpoenas and calling witnesses.

“I also urge my Democratic colleagues to treat this tragedy with the proper respect and appoint members so that we can finally, on a bipartisan basis, get answers, provide accountability, and help deliver justice,” Boehner said. “It is critical that this committee do its work in a focused, timely manner, so that the House can continue to make the economy and job creation its priorities.”

Rank-and-file Republicans lobbied aggressively in private to be named to the high-profile panel, and Boehner gave assignments to four members of the large GOP class of 2010. Westmoreland is a deputy chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, while Jordan has butted heads with the Speaker as a former chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee.
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 05:51:39 pm »

You betcha I will!

I was on Boehner every day on twitter trying to get this done!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 07:13:59 pm »
The only faith I have in this is because you say so.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 07:14:51 pm »
yeowssah
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 07:46:28 pm »
yes

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 11:18:09 pm »
Yes. Limited probably, but yes.
John Steinbeck