Author Topic: Obama: “Wrongheaded” Americans Must Trust Government More by KEITH KOFFLER  (Read 700 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.whitehousedossier.com/

Obama: “Wrongheaded” Americans Must Trust Government More

by KEITH KOFFLER on MAY 9, 2014, 8:00 AM
President Obama today said Americans had developed the “wrongheaded” view that Washington won’t look out for them, a fallacy he said was stoked by conservatives and their philosophy that says people are “on their own.”

Obama spoke at a fundraiser for congressional Democrats in La Jolla, California:

And part of what contributes to that is the sense that nobody in Washington cares about them; or what people in Washington care about is their own jobs, their own positions, their own perks, squabbling between the two parties.

And so not only have we seen in Congress, in particular, over the last three to four years an utter failure to address the concerns of ordinary middle-class families, but that reinforces, then, people’s sense that there’s no point in us getting involved at all, and increases apathy or a lack of confidence in our government . . .

The truth of the matter is, is that the reason that we have not seen Washington address the core concerns of too many working families around the country is that you have a party that has been captive to an ideology, to a theory of economics, that says those folks, they’re on their own and government doesn’t have an appropriate role to play.

And our goal and our task in this midterm has to be to break that grip, that particular view, that particular wrongheaded vision this country has so that we can get back to the business of investing in the American people and investing in America’s future.

Yes, Americans have been tricked by wily Republicans into thinking their government hates them. Stupid Americans. We’ve got to reprogram them so they will accept more federal spending and help Obama build beautiful piles of debt for our children to pay off.

Obama went on to explain that Democrats don’t vote in midterm elections because they’re busy, while Republicans seem to have time on their hands and can get to the polls.

The Democrats have a congenital disease — we get really excited about presidential elections and then during midterms we fall asleep.

And partly it’s the nature of our voters.  We’re disproportionately young, disproportionately minority, disproportionately working-class.  Folks are busy.  They’ve got a lot of stuff going on.  And so we tend to drop off during midterms.  That’s what happened in 2010.

Yes, Republicans are rich and lazy, having stolen money from poor Democrats, who are scrambling to earn some of it back. It’s just the system we have.

Everyone knows that Republicans vote more in midterms because they’re hiring Democrats to drive them to the polling stations. And the Democrats are being forced to keep the engine running so the Republicans stay warm, and so they don’t get to go vote too.

How could Obama have missed this?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

Anyone that thinks we should trust our government must have been living in a cave the last 50 years.......or have their TV locked on reality stations

Offline Relic

Anyone that thinks we should trust our government must have been living in a cave the last 50 years.......or have their TV locked on reality stations

That would be about 52% of the voting public... and climbing.

Offline Millee

Or they get their news from John Steward and MSNBC. 

Offline xfreeper

That would be about 52% of the voting public... and climbing.

Sadly so

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Or they get their news from John Steward and MSNBC.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm feeling very depressed about the state of things lately.  I'm not seeing much to crow about.  The people are getting more and more apathetic every day, the progressives are bolder than ever with their lies and our side seems to have given up on anything but lip service.  The media has succeeded in painting anyone who questions the status quo as a kook. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm feeling very depressed about the state of things lately.  I'm not seeing much to crow about.  The people are getting more and more apathetic every day, the progressives are bolder than ever with their lies and our side seems to have given up on anything but lip service.  The media has succeeded in painting anyone who questions the status quo as a kook.

I agree completely. I'd also say that the "our side", as far as elected officials go, has revealed themselves to be a slightly tamer version of the leftist politicians. In other words, our side doesn't represent us.

The big thing is that the media has dropped any pretense of being objective, and rabidly attacks anyone who goes against the agenda. This, as you observed, has emboldened the left.

We are doomed. We are one major event from chaos.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I agree completely. I'd also say that the "our side", as far as elected officials go, has revealed themselves to be a slightly tamer version of the leftist politicians. In other words, our side doesn't represent us.

The big thing is that the media has dropped any pretense of being objective, and rabidly attacks anyone who goes against the agenda. This, as you observed, has emboldened the left.

We are doomed. We are one major event from chaos.

Agree.  Look at Venezuela to see our future.   8888crybaby

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline xfreeper

IOW, the battle is lost. There will be no turning this ship around. The outcome was determined once we allowed a corrupt government that cared nothing about the constitution and tolerated an invasion and an erosion of our culture that was sold as something positive. History will once again be repeated as this formerly great nation goes the way of those other great nations of the past.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
IOW, the battle is lost. There will be no turning this ship around. The outcome was determined once we allowed a corrupt government that cared nothing about the constitution and tolerated an invasion and an erosion of our culture that was sold as something positive. History will once again be repeated as this formerly great nation goes the way of those other great nations of the past.

I'm not willing to concede that yet! Not by a damned site!

If it goes that way I won't be here to see the end because they will have long since dealt with me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien