Author Topic: Judge dismisses Florida teachers’ union gripe against performance evals  (Read 614 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/08/judge-dismisses-florida-teachers-union-gripe-against-performance-evals/?intcmp=trending

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week in the Sunshine State, and to celebrate a federal judge ruled against a federation of Florida teachers’ unions Tuesday.

The ruling centered on a matter near and dear to union hearts and wallets — teacher evaluations.

Education reformers might call the decision a moment of student appreciation.

It’s a bitter pill for the Florida Education Association, a 140,000-member organization, and the National Education Association, which together sued the state more than a year ago alleging constitutional violations of due process and equal protection.

U.S. District Court Judge Mark E. Waller disagreed.

“The evaluation policies further the state’s legitimate interest in increasing student learning growth,” he wrote.

Waller also noted that, while legal, those same evaluation polices are shoddy in terms of implementation.

Oceander

Waller also noted that, while legal, those same evaluation polices are shoddy in terms of implementation.

It's always refreshing to find someone who understands that incompetence isn't unconstitutional.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

It's always refreshing to find someone who understands that incompetence isn't unconstitutional.

Merely immoral, given the gravity of the task they are entrusted with.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

The fact is that there is no good way to evaluate anyone's performance because there is simply no way to keep personalities out of it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien