Author Topic: Boehner, Pelosi Negotiate Over Benghazi Select Committee Details  (Read 746 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/07/Boehner-Pelosi-Negogiating-Over-Benghazi-Select-Committee

by Jonathan Strong 7 May 2014

Speaker John Boehner is negotiating with Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi over details of the select committee on Benghazi, with Pelosi pressing for Democrats to have a role in deciding what subpoenas the panel issues as well as full access to documents and witnesses.

Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top ranking Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said Pelosi and Boehner were set to meet to hash out further details, although a Boehner aide said only staff-level talks are occurring and no meeting between the principals had been scheduled.

“We cannot have the kind of abuse we have in government reform where we learn about subpoenas in the newspaper. We need to have significant input with regard to the issuing of subpoenas, access to witnesses, access to interviews, everything's gotta be on a bipartisan basis,” Cummings said, describing the “criteria” Pelosi is seeking in order for Democrats to participate in the panel.

Top Republicans said Boehner would name six additional Republicans to the panel Friday after the legislation creating it had passed the House. A senior lawmaker said Boehner is looking at Republicans with backgrounds as prosecutors or other credentials qualifying them for the investigation and is eager to avoid anyone who might be considered too partisan by Democrats or the public.

Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-GA) also provided additional detail about the formation of the panel, which came shortly after new “smoking gun” emails about the White House's response to the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attack were released under a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

Wesmoreland said a working group he led had counseled Boehner that due to its lack of subpoena power and jurisdictional disputes between the committees independently investigating the issue, he would need to provide additional authority to the group. The release of the new documents, Westmoreland said, “was the straw that broke the camel's back.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Boehner, Pelosi Negotiate Over Benghazi Select Committee Details
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 01:42:35 pm »
"Negotiate" my butt.   Change the locks....just like they did when passing Obamacare.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »
"Negotiate" my butt.   Change the locks....just like they did when passing Obamacare.

I'm wit YOU bro!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:25 pm »
"Boehner, Pelosi Negotiate Over Benghazi Select Committee Details"

We're screwed.  (Again)

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:08:32 pm »
"Boehner, Pelosi Negotiate Over Benghazi Select Committee Details"

We're screwed.  (Again)

I'm waiting for the usual suspects to tell us how Boehner capitulating is a good thing, and it will lead to much greater things.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »
I knew it was to good to be true. We have been played again. Kabuki theater  :chairbang: once again