Author Topic: New tolls, higher gas tax considered for more highway funding  (Read 597 times)

Offline happyg

Lisa Ruhl

There are more than 46,000 miles of interstate highway in the United States, and it takes billions of dollars per year to keep them safe and in good condition.

The Highway Trust Fund, which helps with those billions of dollars in repairs, is getting lower and lower leaving State and Federal governments scrambling for solutions to keep it funded.

"The trust fund runs out of money in the summer," says Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.

Secretary of Transportation for the Commonwealth of Virginia, Aubrey Layne, says, "Many states are stepping up or have stepped up but we can only do so much. We need the federal government to do its part."

President Obama last week announced a $302 billion transportation bill. In the bill, he opens the door for states to collect tolls on interstate highways to raise funding for repairs.

The Highway Trust Fund currently relies on the 18.4 percent gas tax that hasn't been raised since 1993.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/new-tolls-higher-gas-tax-considered-for-more-highway-funding/article/2548162

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: New tolls, higher gas tax considered for more highway funding
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:17 pm »

"The trust fund runs out of money in the summer," says Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/new-tolls-higher-gas-tax-considered-for-more-highway-funding/article/2548162

Just what the **** has been done with the taxes that we're forced to pay at state and federal level?
Oh yeah, that goes into a general fund where they are spent on pet projects and never go to the intended purpose.
Then no account politicians like Boxer scream for more taxes.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:55:43 pm »
They are proposing a tax for every mile you use on the freeway and replacing the gas tax in California. And its really getting traction in the state assembly.Under SB 1077, introduced by DeSaulnier, a still-to-be-determined California city would begin taxing motorists in January 2016. The longer your commute, the more you would pay

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/California-Mileage-Tax-Would-Charge-Drivers-Based-on-Distance-Driven-258170311.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:59:37 pm by SPQR »

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:04:16 pm »
They are proposing a tax for every mile you use on the freeway and replacing the gas tax in California.

If California actually replaces their gas  tax with a mileage tax, and I mean repeal the current tax instead of simply adding another tax on top of what they currently have, I'll eat a piece of California asphalt.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

SPQR

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:13 pm »
If California actually replaces their gas  tax with a mileage tax, and I mean repeal the current tax instead of simply adding another tax on top of what they currently have, I'll eat a piece of California asphalt.

Actually it would be a complete repeal of the gas tax and they would switch to the mileage tax from what I understand.  The entire current tax goes into the general fund instead of the Caltrans fund to replace and fix roads. Also, you have to contend with a federal excise tax on top of that. If this thing does pass, there will be something on the ballot to repeal the tax. The Democratic legislature is forcing people to use electric cars or public transportation by creating this tax. The guy who is proposing this bill  sits on transporation committee in Sacramento
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:30:32 pm by SPQR »