Author Topic: FEC chair warns that conservative media like Drudge Report and Sean Hannity face regulation --- like PACs  (Read 936 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
FEC chair warns that conservative media like Drudge Report and Sean Hannity face regulation --- like PACs
Paul Bedard

Government officials, reacting to the growing voice of conservative news outlets, especially on the internet, are angling to curtail the media's exemption from federal election laws governing political organizations, a potentially chilling intervention that the chairman of the Federal Election Commission is vowing to fight.

“I think that there are impulses in the government every day to second guess and look into the editorial decisions of conservative publishers,” warned Federal Election Commission Chairman Lee E. Goodman in an interview.

“The right has begun to break the left’s media monopoly, particularly through new media outlets like the internet, and I sense that some on the left are starting to rethink the breadth of the media exemption and internet communications,” he added.

Noting the success of sites like the Drudge Report, Goodman said that protecting conservative media, especially those on the internet, “matters to me because I see the future going to the democratization of media largely through the internet. They can compete with the big boys now, and I have seen storm clouds that the second you start to regulate them. There is at least the possibility or indeed proclivity for selective enforcement, so we need to keep the media free and the internet free.”

more at:   http://washingtonexaminer.com/fec-chair-warns-conservative-media-drudge-hannity-face-regulation-like-pacs/article/2548163
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

They will get this. At some point they will restrict our use of the internet. You can bet on it.

Offline sinkspur

They will get this. At some point they will restrict our use of the internet. You can bet on it.

How? 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

How?
Who is stopping him from anything he has been doing? they will regulate the sites they don't want around.

Offline mountaineer

How? Executive order. It doesn't matter how unconstitutional it may be.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

How? Executive order. It doesn't matter how unconstitutional it may be.

No. What I meant was, how can our use of the Internet be restricted?

He would have to order providers to block certain websites.  What if they refuse?  You think the little pr*ck would shut down Verizon? 

He can't restrict jack.  This is goofy conspiracy nonsense.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:06:12 pm by sinkspur »

Offline speekinout

No. What I meant was, how can our use of the Internet be restricted?

He would have to order providers to block certain websites.  What if they refuse?  You think the little pr*ck would shut down Verizon? 

He can't restrict jack.  This is goofy conspiracy nonsense.

You forget that he's planning to give ICAAN to the UN. They have control over all web site addresses. They could deny or block any that weren't
"approved", and when they are under control of the UN and not answerable to the US, we don't really know who would decide.
It sounds like conspiracy nonsense, but the steps getting to an Internet control structure are happening.

Offline sinkspur

You forget that he's planning to give ICAAN to the UN. They have control over all web site addresses. They could deny or block any that weren't
"approved", and when they are under control of the UN and not answerable to the US, we don't really know who would decide.
It sounds like conspiracy nonsense, but the steps getting to an Internet control structure are happening.

Could you refer me to a link that says the UN will control the Internet?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:20:52 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline speekinout

Thanks EC, for posting that link. Sinkspur, that's what I was talking about. And I notice that I had a typo - it's ICANN, not ICAAN.

I really do think this is something to worry about.

Offline sinkspur

Thanks EC, for posting that link. Sinkspur, that's what I was talking about. And I notice that I had a typo - it's ICANN, not ICAAN.

I don't.  Nobody "controls" the Internet.    And the idea that somebody or entity would be sitting around monitoring conservative sites is laughable. 

How otherwise sane people get sucked into these goofball conspiracies is beyond me.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

NP. Happened to have it open already - working up an article about the whole thing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I don't.  Nobody "controls" the Internet.    And the idea that somebody or entity would be sitting around monitoring conservative sites is laughable. 

How otherwise sane people get sucked into these goofball conspiracies is beyond me.

Ever been to vikingkitties? That is one person, who is a wonderful person - warm and compassionate - but uses their down time to collect the worst insanity over on TOS. Or head over to reddit and hunt out /srs. If individuals can do it, the government certainly can and does. After all - every single post you make, anywhere, can be considered metadata.

It is unlike you to be so trusting.

Offline speekinout

This isn't about anyone monitoring what goes on in the net. It's about controlling the addresses. You can't "talk" to anyone unless you know their address and they know yours. And you can't post on a site like this one unless it has an address that is recognized. Certainly, without ICANN, individuals could link computers and talk to each other. One big advantage of today's internet is that we can find and connect to people we've never met. GBR could be here without ICANN, but how would any of us find it? If we have to depend on addresses we get from friends, we're pretty limited in what we can find or who we can talk to.
Maybe we're spoiled by having had a free internet for so long, but it is a resource that we should want to protect. Once it's gone, it will be very hard to get back.