Author Topic: AP PHOTOS: A TASTE OF SCHOOL LUNCHES AROUND WORLD  (Read 1941 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AP PHOTOS: A TASTE OF SCHOOL LUNCHES AROUND WORLD
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:23:01 am »
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-photos-taste-school-lunches-around-world-0

AP PHOTOS: A TASTE OF SCHOOL LUNCHES AROUND WORLD
By DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP
— May. 6, 2014 5:49 PM EDT

SEATTLE (AP) — First lady Michelle Obama is on a mission to make American school lunches healthier by replacing greasy pizza and french fries with whole grains, low fat protein, fresh fruit and vegetables.

The Associated Press helps you compare her efforts in the United States with what kids are eating around the globe by sending photographers to see what kids in Asia, Europe, Africa and Latin America ate for lunch this week.

The new American standards are giving kids in the United States a taste of the good life already experienced by school children around the world. Most countries put a premium on feeding school children a healthy meal at lunchtime.

Many kids go home to eat lunch with their families or bring a lunch cooked by their parents.

Although few schools sell lunch, snacks are available around the world. In many places those snacks are as unhealthy as treats in the United States: fried doughnuts in Mali and Pakistan, candy in the West Bank, fried chicken nuggets in France.

American children are more likely to eat a lunch made in a school cafeteria, although other countries are starting to adopt this practice as more mothers go to work outside the home.

FRANCE

In France, lunch is an art form: hot, multi-course and involving vegetables. While their mothers were at work Tuesday, children in Lambersart in northern France were served ratatouille, salmon, rice, a chunk of baguette and an orange.

A school lunch is laid out on a tray at the Anne Franck school in Lambersart, northern France. (AP Photo/Michel Spingler)

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: AP PHOTOS: A TASTE OF SCHOOL LUNCHES AROUND WORLD
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:38 am »
School Kids Hate Michelle Obama’s Healthy Lunch Program, Say Food “Tastes Like Vomit”

When she entered the White House, Michelle Obama picked as her “first lady crusade” improving school lunches so that children eat more healthy food. At her urging, Congress passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, mandating the “healthy” content of federally-funded school lunches. The only problem is that children won’t touch the stuff because ”it tastes like vomit.” If they do force themselves to eat it, portions are so small they’re hungry anyway.

At a Harlan County, Kentucky, district-wide board meeting, the parents in attendance complained bitterly about the food their kids were getting because of the effect of USDA regulations passed to make school lunches comply with the 2010 Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act. That Act was a direct response to Michelle Obama’s demand that kids eat healthy food in fashionably small amounts. Although legal constraints regarding the agenda for “special called meetings” prevented the board member from publicly sharing parents’ opinions, the board members stated in their own words the feedback they were getting from kids and parents about the distasteful, limited food supply.

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/08/23525-school-kids-say-michelle-obamas-healthy-lunch-program-initiative-means-food-tastes-like-vomit/
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:00:54 am »
To make our lousy school lunches seem more palatable, the story is showing worse lunches some other countries kids have to eat.

From my son's school, here are a few of the meals served in May. He hates school lunches.

5/9   Yogurt Boat with Corn Muffin & Sunflower Seeds

5/14  Bagel w/Butter & Jam  or Turkey Deli on Flatbread

5/15  Cheesy Sticks

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:05:39 am »
They forgot Japanese Bento. Probably the best 'school lunch' you can get (brought from home of course).

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:00:54 am »
You do see where my obsession with good bread comes from.  :laugh:

The Palestinian lunch is pretty damned common throughout the Middle East.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:41:17 pm »
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/127335-pictures-school-lunches-will-show-exactly-kids-fed-michelle-obama/

These Pictures Of School Lunches Will Show You Exactly Why Kids Are Fed Up With Michelle Obama’s Diet

Michelle Obama’s campaign against obesity, and for healthy eating is a noble one. However, America’s public school students would beg to differ.

In March of this year, the General Accounting Office (GAO) reported that 1.6 million students across America have dropped out school lunch programs since the Michelle Obama-approved Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act required schools to dramatically change what they can eat at lunch.

Now, students are posting images of the “healthy, hunger-free” lunches on Twitter and Instagram. Let’s assume they passed on carrot sticks, salad and steamed vegetables as they made their choices.

Here’s an image and message from Brady.

Tanner posted this picture of something in a hot dog bun, with a side of three cherry tomatoes.

Tyler added an image of whatever this is:

And then there was this feast, posted by Megan’s mom while she was eating lunch with her daughter. (Is that half a kiwi?)

Perhaps the forlorn Bryton summed it up best:

Again, it’s a worthy cause; obesity in America is a problem. Besides, who can argue with the multiple benefits of a healthier diet? But, really? If these images are representative of today’s public school lunch offerings, I’d bring my lunch to school every day of the week. Wouldn’t you?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:52:14 pm »
To make our lousy school lunches seem more palatable, the story is showing worse lunches some other countries kids have to eat.

From my son's school, here are a few of the meals served in May. He hates school lunches.

5/9   Yogurt Boat with Corn Muffin & Sunflower Seeds

5/14  Bagel w/Butter & Jam  or Turkey Deli on Flatbread

5/15  Cheesy Sticks
WTH. Where the heck is the nutrition? We had more balanced meals when I was in school umpteen decades ago!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 02:20:35 pm »
I would like to point out the obvious here.

Kids are not becoming obese because of school lunches.  They never have.

Kids are obese because of things they eat outside of school, and the fact that they are completely sedentary.

We could eat a small portion of fried food, or mac and cheese and stay skinny because we went out to recess after lunch and ran it off.  Then we came home, went outside and rode our bikes, jumped rope, played football or baseball, or just ran around.

Starving kids at school, giving them 1% milk, is most likely going to have the end result of making kids eat more, and less healthy.

Of course, to the left, if it sounds good and Michelle seems like her intentions are honorable, no one will care if it has the opposite result.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »
WTH. Where the heck is the nutrition? We had more balanced meals when I was in school umpteen decades ago!

How about the "cheesy sticks?"  When we were kids we always had some kind of fruit or veggie with our lunches, and that was at least another decade before you!  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »
They forgot Japanese Bento. Probably the best 'school lunch' you can get (brought from home of course).

I want this meal! 

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »
I would like to point out the obvious here.

Kids are not becoming obese because of school lunches.  They never have.

Kids are obese because of things they eat outside of school, and the fact that they are completely sedentary.

We could eat a small portion of fried food, or mac and cheese and stay skinny because we went out to recess after lunch and ran it off.  Then we came home, went outside and rode our bikes, jumped rope, played football or baseball, or just ran around.

Starving kids at school, giving them 1% milk, is most likely going to have the end result of making kids eat more, and less healthy.

Of course, to the left, if it sounds good and Michelle seems like her intentions are honorable, no one will care if it has the opposite result.

1960's

2010's
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »
Yep, andy.

Those kids in the lower photo won't likely stay as thin as they are now.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 05:28:20 pm »
Today at Sidwell Friends ( the obama girls school)

May 7, 2014

LS
Snack: Nesie's Homemade Bread

Watermelon & Fresh Mint Soup
Seasonal Vintner's Salad
Baked Chicken Patty Sandwich
Spinach Ricotta Phyllo Casserole
Roasted Zucchini
Brown Rice Pilaf
Sliced Oranges

May 7, 2014

MS/US
Spring Vegetable Soup
Atomic Tuna Salad
Spicy Heirloom Cucumber Salad
Pepperoni Flatbread Pizza
Variety Flatbread Pizza
Variety Veggie Flatbread Pizzas
Roasted Zucchini & Onions
Sliced Oranges

https://www.sidwell.edu/mobile/index.aspx?v=c&mid=375&t=Lunch+Menus
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:29:57 pm by Repub4P&C »

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »
I have fond memories of the school lunches served back in the 1960s & 70s.   Before the National Government ruined everything.   

Here are just a few lunches I remember:

Spaghetti with meat sauce with a buttery slice of French bread
Mash potatoes with turkey or beef gravy - with lots of meat in the gravy
Grilled cheese and cream of tomato soup
Baked chicken  with mash potatoes and chicken gravy
Sloppy Joes &  tator tots
Hamburger & fries
Square pizza  - which was actually pretty good
Chili which was always served with a huge cinnamon roll.
Tuna Melts
-   And they always came with a vegi and fruit or desert. And milk for a nickel more. I loved all the lunches except for mac & cheese which I never cared for, even today.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 09:11:07 pm »
I rember the looks on my schoolmates' faces when they brought out their PB & JU, or Ham and cheese, and I brought out the eggplant parmigiano, veal and peppers or stuffed pepper hero!  Good time. GREAT eats...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee