Author Topic: Manchin: Fed up with Senate and Obama  (Read 780 times)

Offline happyg

Manchin: Fed up with Senate and Obama
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »
Susan Ferrechio

Sen. Joe Manchin, a moderate Democrat from West Virginia, said he might forgo another term in Congress and run again for governor.

In two different TV appearances in as many days, Manchin, who served as governor from 2005 to 2010, expressed frustration with the partisan gridlock that he said has prevented passage of certain legislation, including a measure to construct the Keystone XL pipeline and a bill to increase the minimum wage.

“I felt more productive as governor than any time in my life in anything I've ever done,” Manchin told CNN on Sunday when host Candy Crowley asked if he would prefer to be a governor again.

“I haven't had that same feeling as Senate. I have had an opportunity to learn and grow as a senator, to see the world differently and see my country differently and I think now that I've seen it I would like to be productive enough and be able to contribute to make a difference. If that's going to be stopped because of pure hard-core politics, then I've got to make a decision after this cycle of 2014's over and I will do it. I kept all options open. I will keep all options open. “

Manchin on Monday repeated his wavering feelings about serving in the Senate on MSNBC, and also told the network if he had been running for office this year, he would not campaign with President Obama, whose sliding approval ratings have prompted an allergic reaction from several vulnerable red-state Democrats who have refused to be seen with him.

Manchin told “Morning Joe” that he would wait until the end of the year, “to see what shakes out,” and that if the gridlock persists, “I’ve got to rethink,” another run for the Senate.

Manchin first won his seat in a November 2010 special election to replace Sen. Robert Byrd, who died in office. He had to run again two years later in order to secure a full six-year term, which expires in 2018.

In January, Manchin is poised to become the state’s senior U.S. Senator when Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a Democrat, retires.

But Manchin said he may walk away from it all.

“If I don't think that I'm being productive and contributing to something in a positive manner, I have got to evaluate where I'm at and where I can maybe be most effective, if I still have the desire of public service, which runs through every part of my vein and body and fiber,” Manchin told CNN.

Democrat Earl Ray Tomblin, the current governor, was elected to replace Manchin. His term expires in 2016 and he is prohibited from running for another term.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2548080/

Online mountaineer

Re: Manchin: Fed up with Senate and Obama
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:34:18 pm »
Don't believe a word of this. Mojo is a phony from the word go. He's been Obama's buttboy since he got in the Senate, pretending to the LIVs back home that he's still standing for their conservative beliefs. He also was worthless as governor, as evidenced by West Virginia's last- or next-to-last place standing in every measure of social and economic health and wellbeing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:35:49 pm »
One question. I know he's a Dem, but were he a decent Governor?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:59:12 pm »
Don't believe a word of this. Mojo is a phony from the word go. He's been Obama's buttboy since he got in the Senate, pretending to the LIVs back home that he's still standing for their conservative beliefs. He also was worthless as governor, as evidenced by West Virginia's last- or next-to-last place standing in every measure of social and economic health and wellbeing.

He's doing exactly what Dems do when an election is coming up--pretend to move to the center and hope the voters believe the act long enough to get himself reelected.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »
He's doing exactly what Dems do when an election is coming up--pretend to move to the center and hope the voters believe the act long enough to get himself reelected.

For a general election all politicians run to the center. They lie, lie, lie.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »
One question. I know he's a Dem, but were he a decent Governor?
Well, in addition to what I observed above about W. Va. continuing to wallow in 50th place during and after his stint in the governor's office, I should note that Manchin has managed to get just about every member of his extended family on the state gubmint payroll.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline speekinout

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:23:14 pm »
I was very amused a few years ago to drive into WV and see big billboards saying "Welcome to 0bama's No Job Zone" at the state line. It seems to me that a politician who wants to continue his career in WV would have to separate him or herself from this admin. Manchin is trying, but is he sincere or self-serving?  I know which one I think it is.  :laugh: