Author Topic: Russian bombers, fighter jets 'seen over Crimea'  (Read 2376 times)

Offline flowers

Russian bombers, fighter jets 'seen over Crimea'
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/russian-bombers-fighter-jets-seen-over-crimea-143320553.html;_ylt=AwrTWVXoVWZThysAFHrQtDMD

Simferopol (Undefined) (AFP) - Several dozen Russian planes including what appeared to be strategic bombers and fighter jets have been spotted in the sky above the Moscow-controlled peninsula of Crimea, witnesses and experts said.

According to Russian media, President Vladimir Putin is poised to visit Crimea on Friday after overseeing the main military parade on Red Square when Russia celebrates its victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.

A local aviation expert told AFP on Sunday that he had sighted a number of planes over the peninsula's main city of Simferopol on Saturday, including supersonic heavy strategic bombers and heavy military transport aircraft.

The expert, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he had also seen refuelling tankers and MiG-29 jets.

SPQR

Re: Russian bombers, fighter jets 'seen over Crimea'
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »
Its just a matter of time when Putin invades the Ukraine.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:38:24 pm »
And this is troubling why?

Putin is making a visit. When the Worm goes anywhere, it's pretty standard to secure the airspace before hand.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:51:58 pm »
We called them 'Bears'. Largest aircraft known to man.

(Soon to be seen over D.C.)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »

You know what they say. The bigger they are, the faster they hit terminal velocity and hit the ground  :tongue2:

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:38:04 pm »
And this is troubling why?

Putin is making a visit. When the Worm goes anywhere, it's pretty standard to secure the airspace before hand.

This is called gunboat diplomacy. He is showing that he has the capability to use his bombers and he is very serious. The quote was first used in the 19th Century by the Europeans to demonstrate to lesser powers their strength
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:13:20 pm by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:43:14 pm »

Both bombers were made around the same time but there are many key differences between the two

The B-52 Stratofotress
 1. Mass produced to around 775 aircraft built from 1954-1964. Far more than the T-95 Bear.
 2. Jet powered rather than prop. Gives far more range and slightly high Celling altitude, a slightly faster.
 3. Larger Bomb load.
 4. Slightly Smaller than the Bear but not by much.

The Tu-95 Bear.
 1. Largest and fastest Propeller Driver plane it the world.
 2. Not produced in large numbers around ~500. First Flew 1957 2 years after the B-52 in 1955.
 3. Only bomber flying to this day that has Rear Turret and belly turret.
 4. Loud as hell. Can be heard 40 miles away well before you can ever see it.
 5. Carried one of the largest cruise missiles made. Essentially a Mig-15 without the cockpit.

All in all the planes are almost equal but the B-52 is far more sophisticated than the Tu-95 Bear. But the we also must take into account that the Russians built the Bear to be a rough and tumble plane and it has survived 50 years just as the B-52 has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-52_Stratofortress
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:53:15 pm by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:52:11 pm »
Top 7 Bombers

Nr.1  Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit (USA)
Nr.2  Tupolev Tu-160 (Russia)
Nr.3  Rockwell B-1B Lancer (America)
Nr.4  Boeing B-52H Stratofortress (USA)
Nr.5  Tupolev Tu-95 (Russia)
Nr.6  Tupolev Tu-22M (Russia)
Nr.7  Xian H-6 (China)

http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/top_7_bombers.htm

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 10:14:25 pm »
All in all the planes are almost equal but the B-52 is far more sophisticated than the Tu-95 Bear. But the we also must take into account that the Russians built the Bear to be a rough and tumble plane and it has survived 50 years just as the B-52 has.

I'll back the Bear over the B-52 any day. I fly Russian choppers - some times, they are less noticeable in the shit holes - and have no reason to think the design ethos changed. They are crude, they are basic, they demand a hell of a lot from pilot and they are virtually indestructible if handled right.

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 10:36:03 pm »
I'll back the Bear over the B-52 any day. I fly Russian choppers - some times, they are less noticeable in the shit holes - and have no reason to think the design ethos changed. They are crude, they are basic, they demand a hell of a lot from pilot and they are virtually indestructible if handled right.

I take any USAF bomber pilot because they can fly over tree top level and evade radar and deliver their bomb load.B-52 would penetrate Soviet target defenses by flying at treetop level. I do not a Russkie can do that. Their bombers would probably be most likely intercepted our air defense aircraft.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:47:23 pm by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:48:09 pm »
Link to this used to be in my sig - took it out for the new novel

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hltT-AmVhRlTWh1oqCjNa2BT5fK04SDC295QCbTmuW8/edit

That is what a Mi-24 is like to fly.

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:48:35 pm »
I take any USAF bomber pilot because they can fly over tree top level and evade radar and deliver their bomb load.B-52 would penetrate Soviet target defenses by flying at treetop level. I do not a Russkie can do that. Their bombers would probably be most likely intercepted our air defense aircraft.

We have something called terrain avoidance radar.Terrain-following radar (TFR) is an aerospace technology that allows a very-low-flying aircraft to automatically maintain a relatively constant altitude above ground level. It is sometimes referred-to as ground hugging or terrain hugging flight. The term nap-of-the-earth flight may also apply but is more commonly used in relation to low-flying military helicopters, which typically do not use terrain-following radar.

http://pdf.aiaa.org/jaPreview/JA/1968/PVJAPRE43925.pdf

1.Jump up ^ R.J. Starling, C.M. Stewart, (1971) "The Development of Terrain Following Radar: An account of the progress made with an airborne guidance system for low flying military aircraft", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 43 Iss: 4, pp.13 - 15.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:54:08 pm by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »
We have something called terrain avoidance radar.Terrain-following radar (TFR) is an aerospace technology that allows a very-low-flying aircraft to automatically maintain a relatively constant altitude above ground level. It is sometimes referred-to as ground hugging or terrain hugging flight. The term nap-of-the-earth flight may also apply but is more commonly used in relation to low-flying military helicopters, which typically do not use terrain-following radar.

http://pdf.aiaa.org/jaPreview/JA/1968/PVJAPRE43925.pdf

1.Jump up ^ R.J. Starling, C.M. Stewart, (1971) "The Development of Terrain Following Radar: An account of the progress made with an airborne guidance system for low flying military aircraft", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 43 Iss: 4, pp.13 - 15.

The Lockheed MC-130H aircraft features terrain-following and terrain-avoidance radars capable of operations as low as 250 feet.The United States Special Operations Forces (SOF) MC-130Js will receive Terrain Following/ Terrain Avoidance (TF/TA) Radar System capabilities developed by iAccess. This capability will permit the Special Operation Forces (SOF) to navigate the MC-130J through critical missions successfully. iAccess is developing the TF/TA architecture, performing system analysis and supporting flight tests.

http://www.iaccesstech.com/products-services/terrain-following-terrain-avoidance-tfta/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:01:23 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:59:26 pm »

We use our eyes. And a fuckton of prayers  :tongue2:

SPQR

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

We use our eyes. And a bleepton of prayers  :tongue2:

All it takes is one mistake if you do not have technology backing you up.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:03:25 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:09 am »
All it takes is one mistake if you do not have technology backing you up.

I won't disagree with - tech is a useful backup. See the map screen to the right? We'd tape a smartphone to it and use the GPS. Still had the actual map as a back up though.

It comes down to learning to depend on technology rather than using it.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 12:13:22 am »
regardless of all the tech talk, you guys cannot believe how big those things are. saw the flying over our position at about 30,000, they just about blotted out the sun. And they made me pee myself.

If thay had wanted to take us out, they could have done it with a thumb click.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

SPQR

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 12:16:32 am »
I won't disagree with - tech is a useful backup. See the map screen to the right? We'd tape a smartphone to it and use the GPS. Still had the actual map as a back up though.

It comes down to learning to depend on technology rather than using it.

You still ECM pods;AESA,;advanced avionics features;improved radar systems (look-down/shoot-down); radar jamming pods and other stealth equipment if you want to reach your target. If you don't you are angel dust in the sky
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:21:58 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 12:28:47 am »
You still ECM pods;AESA,;advanced avionics features;improved radar systems (look-down/shoot-down); radar jamming pods and other stealth equipment if you want to reach your target. If you don't you are angel dust in the sky

You also need a navigational pod, targeting pods,infrared tracking.[LPI) data networks and some like the PAK-FA are blending artificial intelligence(according to Sukhoi) ,IRST

The days of flying by the seat of your pants is over using 4-th generation planes. What it cost now to produce a 5 th generation plane with all of the above at least for a F-35 plane $90-100 million per plane.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:51:22 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 12:50:21 am »
You also need a navigational pod, targeting pods,infrared tracking. The days of flying by the seat of your pants is over using 4-th generation planes. What it cost now to produce a 5 th generation plane with all of the above at least for a F-35 plane $90-100 million per plane.

I'll not dispute - but did you ever hear of the gumsight? Korean war - the US planes (A-5s, I think) were massively tech advanced over the Koreans. All that tech? Was replaced and outclassed by a bit of chewing gum on the canopy.

There is a time and a place for low tech solutions.

Now - the missiles I normally have in the pods are fire and forget. Probably smarter than me in their limited way. I only go above ground clutter (roughly 70 feet) when I want to be seen or need to go fast. Targeting? I got a radar and two perfectly good eyes. 4 perfectly good eyes if you count the guy in the tac seat. I rarely do - they are usually asleep.

SPQR

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 12:52:27 am »
I'll not dispute - but did you ever hear of the gumsight? Korean war - the US planes (A-5s, I think) were massively tech advanced over the Koreans. All that tech? Was replaced and outclassed by a bit of chewing gum on the canopy.

Korean War era  planes are dinosaurs, they would be shot out of a sky by the lastest Russian surface to air missile. You are talking about a third generation plane .Everything is practically done by computers The A-5s may have been in vogue in the 1960s and 1970s but they are useless against any of the modern SAM on the market. You need a plane that will penetrate an air defense zone, capable of delivering smart bombs to a target and stand against another 5th generation plane in an air to air combat situation

Targeting? I got a radar and two perfectly good eyes. 4 perfectly good eyes if you count the guy in the tac seat. I rarely do - they are usually asleep

You need a radar/ECM to help you avoid decorating a large chunk of earth and destroying in the process a plane that costs $100 million dollars. SAMs are getting better and better these days and the USAF does not want to see a $100 million dollar plane go down the tubes because the pilot refused to use all the planes capabilities.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:09:52 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 01:35:35 am »
Korean War era  planes are dinosaurs, they would be shot out of a sky by the lastest Russian surface to air missile. You are talking about a third generation plane .Everything is practically done by computers The A-5s may have been in vogue in the 1960s and 1970s but they are useless against any of the modern SAM on the market. You need a plane that will penetrate an air defense zone, capable of delivering smart bombs to a target and stand against another 5th generation plane in an air to air combat situation

You need a radar/ECM to help you avoid decorating a large chunk of earth and destroying in the process a plane that costs $100 million dollars. SAMs are getting better and better these days and the USAF does not want to see a $100 million dollar plane go down the tubes because the pilot refused to use all the planes capabilities.

the A-5 computer system is nothing compared to the computer system of 5 generation planes. Todays computer systems have millions and millions of code for every weapon system and it increases as more and more functions are added.The F-22 and F-35, only two fifth-generation fighter variants in commercial production and operational, have over 10 billion lines of software codes and it grows every day.

http://www.slideshare.net/logicathree/software-testing-and-qa-for-fifth-generation-fighter-aircraft
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:38:33 am by SPQR »