Author Topic: McHale pulls no punches at WHCA dinner  (Read 894 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McHale pulls no punches at WHCA dinner
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/correspondents-dinner-obama-fox/2014/05/04/id/569342/

Obama: Fox News Will Miss Me When I'm Gone

Sunday, 04 May 2014 08:50 AM

By Elliot Jager

Comedian Joel McHale had some laugh lines and jokes that fell flat at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner Saturday night, but one thing was clear above all: He wasn’t holding back.

From multiple jokes about New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s (R) weight to calling MSNBC host Chris Hayes a lesbian to comparing CNN to “a RadioShack at a sad strip mall,” McHale was clearly not afraid to make the gathered Washington elite cringe.

It was expected that Christie, who was in attendance, would be a prime target, given the controversy facing his administration over lane closures to the George Washington Bridge, but McHale certainly did not lay off.
“Governor, do you want bridge jokes or size jokes because I got a bunch of both. I can go half and half. I know you’d like a combo platter,” said McHale, the host of E!’s “The Soup” and star of NBC’s “Community.”

As the well-dressed power players and celebrities in the Washington Hilton ballroom reacted, McHale piled on with a parody of Christie’s marathon press conferences and self-appointed investigation surrounding the bridge controversy. I’m appointing a blue ribbon commission of me to investigate the joke I just told and if I find any wrongdoing on my part, I assure you it will be dealt with,” McHale said with feigned sincerity. “I just looked into it, it turns out I’m not responsible for it. Justice has been served.”

The crowd laughed and cheered before McHale added, “He’s going to kill me.”

President Obama, sitting a few seats down the dais, was not the target of many of the jokes. McHale started off with a shot at Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) who came under fire for remarks about men in “inner cities” not working.

“Good evening Mr. President, or as Paul Ryan refers to you, yet another inner city minority relying on the federal government to feed and house your family,” McHale said.

Vice President Joe Biden now has a long history of being joked about, including his own character in “The Onion.”

McHale continued in the tradition. “The vice president isn’t here tonight, not for security reasons,” McHale said. “He just thought tonight’s event was being held at the Dulles Airport Applebee’s. Yes, right now Joe is elbow deep in jalapeño poppers and talking to a construction cone he thinks is John Boehner.”

CNN’s extensive coverage of the missing Malaysian airliner was a favorite topic of Obama’s speech and McHale’s. McHale was not worried about being sensitive.

“At this point CNN is like that RadioShack at a sad strip mall,” he said. “You don’t know how it stayed in business this long, you don’t now anyone that shops there, and they just fired [host] Piers Morgan.”

Perhaps in a window into his willingness to skewer his targets, McHale said previously that his limit was what was not funny.

“Things that aren’t funny are off limits,” McHale told The Hill in an interview last week. “My goal is to write funny jokes and to make funny jokes.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfrF09QilNk

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Re: McHale pulls no punches at WHCA dinner
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 01:44:20 pm »
That was probably one of the worst skits I have seen. What was the point?

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:34:06 pm »
Joel McHale is a snarky, liberal rectal orifice.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 03:01:03 pm »
I’m appointing a blue ribbon commission of me to investigate the joke I just told and if I find any wrongdoing on my part, I assure you it will be dealt with,” McHale said with feigned sincerity. “I just looked into it, it turns out I’m not responsible for it. Justice has been served.”

He could just as easily been referring to Eric Holder and OPapaDoc here, and on matters that involved people actually suffering and dying, but he dared not go there.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 05:26:09 pm »
Who cares what was or wasn't said? The Mooch was ravishing, and that's all that matters.
Michelle Obama Is Ravishing in White Shimmering Gown at White House Correspondents' Dinner
US weekly
15 hours ago

She never disappoints.

First Lady Michelle Obama stole the show at the White House Correspondents' Dinner on Saturday, May 3. President Barack Obama's wife looked ravishing in a white gown at the Washington, D.C. event, which was held at the Washington Hilton Hotel.

The 50-year-old donned an off-the-shoulder dress with a pleated bottom for the big night, and got a round of applause from the star-studded crowd while taking her place on stage. She accessorized the shimmering number with dangling silver earrings and kept her dark locks in tousled waves.

Last year, FLOTUS stunned in a black cap-sleeve Monique Lhuillier with beaded detail at the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner. Back in 2012, she made a bolder statement in a multi-colored strapless ballgown by Naemm Khan. She finished the look off with gold hoop earrings.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 05:39:29 pm »
Correspondents’ dinner isn’t about Lindsay Lohan
By Thomas Burr
| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published 2 hours ago • Updated 1 hour ago    

Washington • It’s the Washington prom.

The gathering of journalists and the stars of politics and Hollywood each year at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner has become the premier party of the nation’s capital. There’s a red carpet lined with gawkers, paparazzi surround the entrances, black town cars line up to drop off guests. There’re exclusive parties before and after, and heavy security checking the guest list.

It’s also the oddest arrangement of people from extreme walks of life: the policy wonk next to the actress, the White House aide and the basketball hotshot. The president of the United States and Lindsay Lohan.

The dinner, held Saturday at the Washington Hilton, is also a lightning rod of controversy from critics who argue journalists are playing footsie with the government officials they cover, and that the celebrity one-upmanship has topped any notion that the event is about scholarships and awards and journalism.

Count Tom Brokaw among the rock throwers.

"The breaking point for me was Lindsay Lohan," the former NBC Nightly News anchor told Politico last year. "She became a big star at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. Give me a break."

It’s true. The celebrity thing has gotten out of hand. Two years ago, Fox News invited Kim Kardashian, who became famous because of a leaked sex tape. Uggie, the dog from the movie The Artist, attended, too.

What started out as an annual dinner in the 1920s for the press and politicians has grown bigger and more Hollywood in recent years. You can blame the advent of video coverage of the dinner and the more star-like atmosphere that surrounds the presidency.

It’s supposed to be about White House correspondents but only some of them get to attend, with many seats going to corporate executives or movie stars. Last time I checked, Lindsay Lohan wasn’t reporting on President Barack Obama’s executive orders or the White House response to Russia’s actions against Ukraine. That’s a good thing.

But for all the negatives, there are positives as well. Beyond the hype, it’s one of those nights when journalists can drop the notebook or camera, and politicians can step away from the latest talking point and just talk. In the polarized lens that defines America these days, it’s a break from the norm, and a time where people can just be people, even if it’s in fancy gowns and black ties.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 05:42:21 pm »
Joel McHale’s top 10 White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner lines
By JONATHAN TOPAZ | 5/3/14 11:25 PM EDT

Joel McHale got laughs — and some groans — during his White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner speech, in which he took shots at President Barack Obama, potential 2016 presidential candidates and the political media. The comedian, who appears on the NBC series “Community” and hosts “The Soup” on E! Network, joked with the crowd at the Washington Hilton on Saturday night after the president’s own speech. Here are ten of McHale’s best lines:

1. “Mr. President — or, as Paul Ryan would call you, another inner city minority taking advantage of the federal government to feed and house your family.”

2. “It’s a thrill to be in Washington D.C., the city that started the whole crack-smoking mayor craze.”

3. “It’s crazy to think that Joe Biden is only one heartbeat away from no one taking him seriously as president.”

4. “I promise tonight will be amusing and over quickly, just like Chris Christie’s presidential bid.”

5. “Hillary Clinton has a lot going for her as a candidate … as our female president, we could pay her 30 percent less.”

6. “It’s good to see that White House press secretary and boy detective Jay Carney is here.”

7. On Obama’s humor: “My favorite bit of yours was when you said you would close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay – that was hilarious.”

8. “Just because Morgan Freeman has played the president a few times, it doesn’t mean you have to look like him.”

9. “Bill O’Reilly, Megan Kelly and Sean Hannity are the Mount Rushmore of keeping old people angry.”

10. “Have you watched the news? Not CNN, I mean the real news.”

Politico

Wow. Not very funny at all.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 06:15:17 pm »
Headline says:
"McHale pulls no punches"

Story says:
"President Obama, sitting a few seats down the dais, was not the target of many of the jokes."

Umm... yeah.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 06:17:23 pm »
Wow. Not very funny at all.

McHale is a creepy dude. Even so, it's difficult to make something funny out of everything that has been miserable. What this administration has been up to  is no laughing matter, and no way can there be humor to be found, unless the focus is on Obama and Biden being a sick joke made at our expense.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 06:43:16 pm »
McHale is a creepy dude. Even so, it's difficult to make something funny out of everything that has been miserable. What this administration has been up to  is no laughing matter, and no way can there be humor to be found, unless the focus is on Obama and Biden being a sick joke made at our expense.

He does look a bit skeletonish, doesn't he?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »
Does McHale know how many people died during the traffic jams on the GW Bridge?

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 10:18:21 pm »
Does McHale know how many people died during the traffic jams on the GW Bridge?

I'm bettin' less than Benghazi?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:41:57 pm »
Who cares what was or wasn't said? The Mooch was ravishing, and that's all that matters.

Who does sshe think she is Farrah?  :silly: :silly: **nononono* **nononono* :laughingdog: :laughingdog:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 01:10:39 pm »
Hey girl,  soooo happy to see you.   Love Cruz but no thanks on Paul.