Author Topic: Condoleezza Rice backs out of Rutgers commencement  (Read 545 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Condoleezza Rice backs out of Rutgers commencement
« on: May 03, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/205115-condoleezza-rice-backs-out-of-rutgers-commencement

May 03, 2014, 11:12 am
Condoleezza Rice backs out of Rutgers commencement

By Kristina Wong

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice declined Rutgers University’s invitation as commencement speaker after some students staged a sit-in protest of her support for the Iraq War.

“Commencement should be a time of joyous celebration for the graduates and their families. Rutgers' invitation to me to speak has become a distraction for the university community at this very special time,” Rice said on her Facebook page Saturday morning.

The school’s Board of Governors invited Rice, and is planning to award her an honorary doctorate, according to a Rutgers press release.

However, Rutgers faculty at its New Brunswick campus approved a resolution calling for Rice to be disinvited to the May 18 ceremony, according to the National Review Online, citing the Bush’s administration’s “effort to mislead the American people about the presence of weapons of mass destruction.”

Students protested with signs calling Rice a “war criminal.”

“I am honored to have served my country. I have defended America's belief in free speech and the exchange of ideas. These values are essential to the health of our democracy,” Rice said in her statement.

“But that is not what is at issue here. As a Professor for thirty years at Stanford University and as it's former Provost and Chief academic officer, I understand and embrace the purpose of the commencement ceremony and I am simply unwilling to detract from it in any way,” she said.

“Good luck to the graduates and congratulations to the families, friends and loved ones who will gather to honor them.”

Rutgers President Robert Barchi issued a statement when the controversy first errupted in late March, saying “We cannot protect free speech or academic freedom by denying others the right to an opposing view, or by excluding those with whom we may disagree. Free speech and academic freedom cannot be determined by any group. They cannot insist on consensus or popularity.”

However, this week he said, “I frankly wish from my point of view that this whole affair was not here right now because it’s distracting from what great things we’re doing as a university. … It does have us, for better or worse, right in the crosshairs right now."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Condoleezza Rice backs out of Rutgers commencement
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 05:46:52 pm »
I frankly wish from my point of view that this whole affair was not here right now because it’s distracting from what great things we’re doing as a university.
Among those "great things" is not teaching the kiddies how to think.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:28:34 pm »
Condi Rice..............nothing but class.

Rutgers students and professors............ completely classless.

The students are missing out on hearing one of the most accomplished women in recent history, and all because they have been brainwashed to hate her because she disagrees with them........   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:29:42 pm »
Among those "great things" is not teaching the kiddies how to think.

As I have said many a time before, the only 'diversity' the left does not have is diversity of thought.

These kids are automatons.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 06:41:26 pm »
These kids are automatons.

That is exactly the point of Leftist fascism. That is what they are supposed to be. You will believe what I tell you to believe. You will think what I tell you to think. You will do what I tell you to do. For my thoughts are elevated and correct at all times. And anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and should be exterminated.

Lock step. Everyone is the same.
Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!

And the fact that Jews are a large part of this movement, is mind blowing. You would think they would have learned their lesson by now. But, I guess not. Here we go again...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:45:15 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:50:48 pm »
Condi Rice..............nothing but class.

Rutgers students and professors............ completely classless.

The students are missing out on hearing one of the most accomplished women in recent history, and all because they have been brainwashed to hate her because she disagrees with them........   **nononono*

:thumbsup3:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:28:35 pm »
Yeah but as a NJ resident, my tax dollars are supporting that toilet.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34