Author Topic: ‘The FBI’ Star Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Dies At 95  (Read 490 times)

Offline flowers

‘The FBI’ Star Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Dies At 95
« on: May 03, 2014, 04:33:04 pm »
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/05/02/fbi-star-efrem-zimbalist-jr-dies-at-95/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com)  — Actor Efrem Zimbalist Jr., star of the smash 60s and 70s TV drama “The FBI,” has died.

Zimbalist was 95.

The actor played unflappable Inspector Erskine in the series that ran on ABC from 1965-1974. The show dramatized real FBI cases.

Zimbalist Sr. was a concert violinist, the actor’s mother was opera singer Alma Gluck. Zimbalist Jr.’s daughter, Stephanie, had her own successful acting career — most notably as the female lead in the hit “Remington Steele” (1982-87) opposite Pierce Brosnan.

The actor was born in New York City on November 30, 1918. He died peacefully today in Solvang, confirmed daughter Stephanie.

He acted until 2008,

Raised in privilege, Zimbalist went to the Yale School of Drama. After serving in the war (he also received a Purple Heart), Zimbalist landed a series of stage roles and worked in soap operas.

I remember as a kid watching that show FBI on Tv with my folks.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: ‘The FBI’ Star Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Dies At 95
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 05:27:17 pm »
Efrem Zimbalist Jr. dies at 95; starred in '77 Sunset Strip'

Efrem Zimbalist Jr., the elegant actor with the mellifluous baritone who costarred as the suave private eye Stuart Bailey on TV's "77 Sunset Strip" beginning in the late 1950s and later starred as the buttoned-down Inspector Lewis Erskine on "The F.B.I.," died Friday at his home in Solvang. He was 95.

Zimbalist, the father of actress Stephanie Zimbalist, died of natural causes, according to his daughter and his son, Efrem Zimbalist III.

The handsome, dark-haired son of prominent concert violinist Efrem Zimbalist Sr. and acclaimed soprano Alma Gluck, Zimbalist made his debut on Broadway shortly after World War II...

Zimbalist said in an interview four decades later that fans of the show occasionally approached him to say they had joined the FBI or had become police officers because of his portrayal of the calm and authoritative government agent on the series.

"I get more joy from that than anything in my life," he said. "When you learn that you inspired someone, it's a huge honor." ...
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Star of ‘77 Sunset Strip’ and ‘The F.B.I.’, Is Dead at 95

Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Star of 'The FBI,' Dies

Efrem Zimbalist Jr., actor who helped make Sunset Strip famous was 95