Author Topic: Boehner announces special committee on Benghazi, Kerry subpoenaed  (Read 963 times)

Offline happyg

House Republicans moved on two fronts Friday to dig for answers on Benghazi, with Speaker John Boehner announcing a special committee to investigate and a key panel subpoenaing Secretary of State John Kerry to testify.

In a significant shift, Boehner announced that the House will vote on establishing a select committee to investigate, on the heels of newly released emails that raised additional questions about the White House's response. 

"In light of these new developments, the House will vote to establish a new select committee to investigate the attack, provide the necessary accountability, and ensure justice is finally served," he said in a statement.

Boehner has long faced pressured from rank-and-file members for months to form such a panel to probe the attacks which killed four Americans including a U.S. ambassador, and until now had resisted. Fox News is told the speaker made the decision Thursday to go forward with a vote. The committee is expected to be bipartisan, and Fox News is told Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., is among those being considered to lead it.

The committee would still have to be approved on the House floor.

The movement comes after newly released emails raised questions about the White House role in pushing faulty claims about the attacks.

The emails in question were obtained and published by the conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch, following a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit. One email showed White House adviser Ben Rhodes discussing a "prep call" with then-U.N. ambassador Susan Rice, before she went on several Sunday shows and made controversial and flawed statements linking the attack to an anti-Islam Internet video.

The email from Rhodes emphasized the role of the Internet video -- leading to GOP charges that this "smoking gun" shows the White House politicized the tragedy.

The White House maintains the "prep call" was in reference to protests elsewhere in the Middle East and Africa.

On the heels of those documents, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee announced Friday that it has issued the subpoena for Kerry to testify at a May 21 hearing. The chairman of that committee has accused the administration of hiding records following an earlier subpoena.

"The State Department's response to the congressional investigation of the Benghazi attack has shown a disturbing disregard for the Department's legal obligations to Congress," Chairman Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., wrote in a letter to Kerry.   

He added: "Compliance with a subpoena for documents is not a game. Because your Department is failing to meet its legal obligations, I am issuing a new subpoena to compel you to appear before the Committee to answer questions about your agency's response to the congressional investigation of the Benghazi attack."

Issa, at a hearing on Thursday, lashed out at the administration over the latest documents. The emails in question were obtained and published by the conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch, following a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit. Issa said the State Department also told his committee about those emails in an April 17 letter.

Issa claims those documents were withheld from Congress for well over a year. "It is disturbing and perhaps  criminal ... that documents like these were hidden by the Obama administration from Congress and the public alike," Issa said at Thursday's hearing. He claimed the withholding of these documents is the worst transparency violation since at least the Nixon administration.

Before the subpoena was announced, Boehner also called on Kerry to testify before Congress in light of these revelations.

White House officials have pushed back hard on Republican claims that the Rhodes email was a "smoking gun" that proves the administration politicized the attack.

Former White House spokesman Tommy Vietor told Fox News on Thursday that he wished the documents had been released earlier.

"I bet you every single person in that White House wished that email has been released earlier. I wish it too because it tells us nothing new, It tells us what we said privately was what we said publicly, because that is what we thought had occurred," Vietor said.

Fox News' Ed Henry, Chad Pergram, Catherine Herridge and Mike Emanuel contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/02/house-committee-subpoenas-kerry-over-benghazi-documents/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Boehner announces special committee on Benghazi, Kerry subpoenaed
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:52:55 pm »
Thank GOD!

Finally he does what he should have done a year ago!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:57:40 pm »
It's good news. I'll leave it at that and enjoy the win.

(Tomorrow may be different!)  :seeya:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:04:58 pm »
In all fairness....he had to wait until a member of the alphabet network news organizations found the nerve to step forward.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:10:52 pm »
In all fairness....he had to wait until a member of the alphabet network news organizations found the nerve to step forward.

Forgive me but why?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
http://conservativetribune.com/select-committee-announced/#XkLrqTliML44yCuR.01

BREAKING: “Select Committee” Benghazi Investigation is On… Trey Gowdy Will Chair
Just minutes ago, the world was informed that a Select Committee investigation on Benghazi has finally been announced. This will bypass Barack Obama, Eric Holder, and will likely lead to the impeachment of Barack Obama and the end of Hillary Clinton’s career.

The only question is why this hadn’t been done sooner. Benghazi was a massive system of crimes, cover ups, and outright lies by the Obama administration. Their goal was to win an election in 2012… but the cost might be impeachment in 2015.

Make sure to spread this story everywhere. The American people must wake up and see what’s happening. This is the perfect opportunity for exactly that to happen. Nobody should be allowed to get away with murder — not even the president of the United States.

:2popcorn: :2popcorn:

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »
http://conservativetribune.com/select-committee-announced/#XkLrqTliML44yCuR.01

BREAKING: “Select Committee” Benghazi Investigation is On… Trey Gowdy Will Chair
Just minutes ago, the world was informed that a Select Committee investigation on Benghazi has finally been announced. This will bypass Barack Obama, Eric Holder, and will likely lead to the impeachment of Barack Obama and the end of Hillary Clinton’s career.

The only question is why this hadn’t been done sooner. Benghazi was a massive system of crimes, cover ups, and outright lies by the Obama administration. Their goal was to win an election in 2012… but the cost might be impeachment in 2015.

Make sure to spread this story everywhere. The American people must wake up and see what’s happening. This is the perfect opportunity for exactly that to happen. Nobody should be allowed to get away with murder — not even the president of the United States.

:2popcorn: :2popcorn:

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:14:57 pm »
Forgive me but why?

Think about the sound a falling tree makes....with nobody around.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:54:28 pm »
Boehner waited until this scandal could be definitively tied to the White House.  Now, there is no doubt.

And with Trey Gowdy as Chairman, nobody's going to get off easy.  It will be delight to watch the proceedings, and the drip, drip, drip leading up to November.

This could be the end of Hillary's 2016 ambitions as she will have to testify and be questioned.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 06:54:57 pm »
Let's all say a prayer that Gowdy's heart is 'stronger' than Brietbart's.   [/s]

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:15:19 pm »
Let's all say a prayer that Gowdy's heart is 'stronger' than Brietbart's.   [/s]

Ain't that the truth?

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.