Author Topic: Leadership Aide: Boehner 'Seriously Considering' Select Committee on Benghazi  (Read 563 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/leadership-aide-boehner-seriously-considering-select-committee-benghazi_789000.html

Leadership Aide: Boehner 'Seriously Considering' Select Committee on Benghazi
Stephen F. Hayes
May 2, 2014 10:29 AM

House Speaker John Boehner is “seriously considering” appointing a select committee to investigate the attacks on the U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, according to a senior GOP leadership aide. The move comes after the revelation of an email from a top Obama national security official, Ben Rhodes, instructing Susan Rice to focus on an anti-Muslim internet video to explain the attacks.

“The new emails this week were the straw that broke the camel’s back,” says the aide. “The Speaker was furious to learn that the admininstration withheld relevant documents from a congressional subpoena. He’s sick and tired of this evasion and obstruction from the administration, and wants a solution to finally force accountability, get to the truth, and provide justice.”

Boehner, who has paid careful attention to the Benghazi developments since the attacks, has resisted calls to appoint a select committee, preferring to allow the various committees of jurisdiction to pursue investigations of their slices of the attacks on their own. Aides say Boehner continues to believe that the work of those committees has been valuable. “The current committees investigating the attack have done good work, using their authority, including subpoena authority, to gather facts, interview hundreds of witnesses, and conduct dozens of hearings. But this week’s events demonstrate a new level of stonewalling and obfuscation by the administration that requires a new level of investigation.”

The House Oversight and Reform Committee issued a subpoena for Benghazi-related documents in August of 2013, but the Rhodes email and a second set of talking points that originated with the White House were released to the public for the first time this week after Judicial Watch, a conservative research group, obtained them via a Freedom of Information Act request. For these reasons, according the aide, “the reasons for appointing a committee now are straightforward.” The aide continued: “For the first time we have clear and public evidence that the White House was more involved in misleading the American people than it had previous admitted. And, second, it’s now proven that the administration withheld relevant documents from a congressional subpoena request. While the existing investigatory committees in the House have full subpoena power, the administration has now demonstrated it is willing to flagrantly defy such subpoena requests, compelling the House to consider taking the strongest actions possible in an effort to ensure Americans have the truth about what happened.”

The details of the exact structure of the special committee are still under discussion, but a source tells THE WEEKLY STANDARD that Rep. Trey Gowdy, a lawmaker with a reputation for tough questioning of administration witnesses, is under consideration to chair it. Gowdy has participated in meetings of an ad hoc committee of House members from various committees of jurisdiction who have met informally to compare notes and shape strategy on the Benghazi investigations.

Separately, TWS has learned that at least two committees will begin an immediate inquiry into the odd pattern of classification that preceded the release of Benghazi documents this week. Some of the previously unclassified redacted documents released to Judicial Watch were classified by the administration in February, after the subpoena from the House Oversight Committee and the FOIA request from Judicial Watch.

Boehner has largely stayed in the background on Benghazi, but he has demonstrated a keen interested in the growing controversy behind the scenes. In private conversations with members of Congress and others, Boehner cites key dates in the long Benghazi timeline from memory. He has also shown a particular interest in the stories of US security and diplomatic personnel who were on the ground during the attacks.

A final decision on a select committee could come “very soon,” according to a Republican aide.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

UPDATE:  Boehner is going to announce a Select Committee on Benghazi...headed by Trey Goudy!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
They should start this and time it, to have maximum benefit for the November mid-term elections.

Too soon, and it will be fizzled out by then. Too late, and blocking or distractions may divert attention.

Like it or not, that's politics. Timing counts.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
UPDATE:  Boehner is going to announce a Select Committee on Benghazi...headed by Trey Goudy!

According to RuSh this has just been announced and all I can say is IT'S ABOUT DAMNED TIME!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

According to RuSh this has just been announced and all I can say is IT'S ABOUT DAMNED TIME!

:thumbsup2:   

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

OMG...must see tv.... :2popcorn:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline R4 TrumPence

I love me some Trey!!!!! shhh don't tell my husband!! :silly:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

rangerrebew

I imagine a strong willed person like Tammy Fay Boehner will furnish Gowdy with a fine crew.  My thoughts are he will have J$ss$ J$cks$n, Sheila Jackson Lee, Al Sharptongue, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, Keith Ellison, Jay Carney, Lindsey Grahamnesty, Bill de Blasio, and Whoopi Goldberg to make sure everything is on the up and up. :whistle:

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Boehner must be feeling the heat for him to do this. That's fine and good.

He also needs to be compelled to do the same thing in regard to the IRS and their abuses of power.

EXTORTION 17 also needs a very hard and public examination.

There are any number of matters that could and should lead to the removal from office of Barak Hussein Obama.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.