Author Topic: Political Malpractice in GOP Primaries  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Political Malpractice in GOP Primaries
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:43 am »
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303678404579536292345921748

Kim Strassel has an awesome piece on the abject failure of FreedomWorks, Senate Conservative Fund, Madison Project, and the Club for Growth...and the clowns they call "real conservatives."  Unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to read it.  I don't know if I should post it in it's entirety.

Here is some snippets of the best stuff.

There is no disgrace in backing a sound and serious candidate who can't quite carry it over the finish line. That's honest primary competition. By contrast, it is political malpractice to throw tens of thousands of donors' dollars at a candidate whose Facebook posts or past radio shows no one bothered to check. It's called V-E-T-T-I-N-G.

There's also the damage to the movement. The press is churning out stories about how the tea party is fading fast. That's terrifically unfair to the grass-roots, which hasn't been given candidates worth rallying around. Primaries matter and conservatives have legitimate grievances with some incumbents. They've been cheated this time, because too many of the D.C. insiders running these groups have been more interested in settling grudges against Mr. McConnell than in doing their homework.

One casualty may be policy votes in Congress. Many national Republicans have been voting better in recent years partly for fear of a primary. Should they bother any more, seeing the caliber of likely opponents?

This is why I think the Tea Party is fading away.  When SCF, CfG, and FreedomWorks made threats against the GOPe and followed through with joke candidates, they essentially said the GOPe can ignore the Tea Party.  The Tea Party wrote checks it ass couldn't cash.  That is why they have no voice...that and the stupid shutdown they mindlessly cheered on.

Re: Political Malpractice in GOP Primaries
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 04:15:55 am »
a little more posted at Hotair
http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2014/05/02/political-malpractice-in-gop-primaries/

One casualty may be policy votes in Congress. Many national Republicans have been voting better in recent years partly for fear of a primary. Should they bother any more, seeing the caliber of likely opponents?

There’s also damage to Republican hopes of retaking the Senate. While most of these outsiders will lose, they’ve bloodied incumbents. And if they win? One of the closest races is Mississippi, where Mr. McDaniel (despite his press problems) continues to dog Sen. Cochran—who has years of overspending to answer for. Note that the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee hasn’t said boo about the McDaniel radio comments. Why? He’ll be easier to beat than the incumbent, and Democrats would have plenty by way of the race card (“Mamacita”) to play in a general election.

Conservatives might ask if this is evidence of a failed business model. Prior to a few elections ago, the holding of conservatives to standards was a job primarily done—and done well—by groups with specific expertise: The National Rifle Association, the National Right to Life Committee, Americans for Tax Reform. These organizations spent decades building their political credibility, by cultivating the grass-roots and then by clearly and fairly delineating what is expected of politicians. Sign the anti-tax pledge. Don’t vote for “assault weapons” bans. Don’t support federal financing of abortions.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:50:49 am »
I realize it would be so much easier if the party elders could simply anoint candidates where there is no incumbent, and prevent incumbents from facing primary challengers.  But politics is a messy business.  It wouldn't be interesting otherwise.  Like all political movements, the Tea Party will win some and lose some in these primaries.  What I don't understand is -- if, as claimed, the Tea Party is irrelevant -- why do the moderates keep getting their panties in a bunch over it? 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:28:07 pm »
I realize it would be so much easier if the party elders could simply anoint candidates where there is no incumbent, and prevent incumbents from facing primary challengers.  But politics is a messy business.  It wouldn't be interesting otherwise.  Like all political movements, the Tea Party will win some and lose some in these primaries.  What I don't understand is -- if, as claimed, the Tea Party is irrelevant -- why do the moderates keep getting their panties in a bunch over it?

Ain't that the truth!  It's like they have to keep convincing us of something they have to keep convincing themselves of. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 01:35:01 pm »

I do not consider myself a moderate, lest I'm compared to an extremist, and I don't get my panties up in a bunch over the TEA Party, but I do see a number of drawbacks.

They divide the GOP by campaigning as part of the GOP that's highly critical of the GOP, and in many cases making the case that there is no basic difference between the GOP and the Democrats, making them an insider outsider to the party. Whether you agree with that idea that there is no difference between the two or not is irrelevant, all I'm talking about is the impact that the TEA Party has on the GOP which may cause some members of the GOP to express concern.

They have been quite successfully demonized by the media. They are seen by many outside the GOP as racist extremists Neanderthals who wish to take us back to Antebellum times, desuffrage women and overturn child labor laws. They are not (obviously) any of those things, but in politics perception is reality, so even when a TEA Party member wins a primary, their presence on a ballot turns the general election into a battle against wild accusations and fabrications, and the actual issues are cast aside because the candidate has to spend an extraordinary amount of his or her time trying to convince people that they don't REALLY eat babies, leaving very little time for debate on things like the national debt, etc.

The TEA Party has an image issue, and until they deal with that, the most effective thing that they can do is negatively impact the RNC in elections... which coincides with the DNC's agenda. Making then unintended collaborators with the DNC.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:38:56 pm »
The TEA Party has an image issue, and until they deal with that, the most effective thing that they can do is negatively impact the RNC in elections... which coincides with the DNC's agenda. Making then unintended collaborators with the DNC.

Many people think, not without foundation, that the GOPe collaborates with the DNC, evidenced by the $17 trillion deficit.  But I guess that's an extremist view.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:44:28 pm »

Why should ANY group of like minded people, TEA party or otherwise,  be barred from organizing themselves in order to have more political clout than they would have as individuals?

I frankly LOVE the TEA party!  We need much more of that kind of activity not less IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 01:48:07 pm »
The TEA Party has an image issue...

YOU think the TEA party has an image issue! Others, like myself, would strongly disagree!

Your pronouncements do not make anything true Luis!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »
Many people think, not without foundation, that the GOPe collaborates with the DNC, evidenced by the $17 trillion deficit.  But I guess that's an extremist view.

I personally think it boils down to inside the beltway vs the rest of the country!

But that is just one opinion!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:32:14 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 01:52:04 pm »

Without a doubt. They have both independently and jointly added to the problem.

The problem is whether or not we will decide to define collaboration as being a positive or a negative term. The idea being that once elected, our public servants will go to DC to A) represent the views and needs of the people who elected them and whom they serve, and B) they will all act in concert in the best interest of the nation, makes collaboration the ONLY available option for politicians.

The problem is that quite sometime ago, most politicians (if not all) stopped serving the people, and decided to serve a political Party and an ideology irrespective of the consequences to the nation.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 01:54:10 pm »
YOU think the TEA party has an image issue! Others, like myself, would strongly disagree!

Your pronouncements do not make anything true Luis!

Bigun, I am f$%ng stating my F%$ng opinion just like everyone else in this forum.

Stop making this personal every single time you f$%ng address my posts.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »
Bigun, I am f$%ng stating my F%$ng opinion just like everyone else in this forum.

Stop making this personal every single time you f$%ng address my posts.

Perhaps you should make that more clear in the future.

Just my opinion on it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 01:57:51 pm »
Perhaps you should make that more clear in the future.

Just my opinion on it.

What is it that we do in this forum if NOT state our opinion on the subjects being discussed.

Play the ball, not the man.

Offline xyno

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 01:59:46 pm »
The problem is that quite sometime ago, most politicians (if not all) stopped serving the people, and decided to serve a political Party and an ideology irrespective of the consequences to the nation.

This is the crux of today's politician in Washington regardless of stripe. 

I love the Tea Party and its message when it sticks to fiscal matters and Constitutional fidelity.  When it gets into the weeds with such social matters as abortion, not so much. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 02:22:00 pm »
This is the crux of today's politician in Washington regardless of stripe. 

I love the Tea Party and its message when it sticks to fiscal matters and Constitutional fidelity.  When it gets into the weeds with such social matters as abortion, not so much.

Most people I know in the Tea Party think that social issues should be left up to the States.  The Tea Party is concerned with fiscal issues.  Not all tea party groups agree, nor do they speak for me.  There is no one official Tea Party group.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »
It certainly is.  it's a common misconception of conspiracy aficionados.  It's like saying Obama is collaborating with Bush because circumstances force him to continue to keep Gitmo open.  Or the GOP loves Social Security because they refuse to eliminate the popular program.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »

My panties are loose and airy, thank you.  I don't think the Tea Party is irrelevant.  It is costly, wasteful, and counter-productive.  The Tea Party drew it's line in the sand when they threatened the GOP leadership with primaries.  The Tea Party is not going to win some.  I'm just making sure GOPBR readers know how ineffective attacking the GOP leadership is to their conservative goals.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 03:44:56 pm »
I personally think it boils down to inside the beltway vs the rest of the country!

But that is just an one opinion!

Pretty much, Ruling Class vs. Country Class!  I always reference Codevilla's American Spectator classic: AMERICA’S RULING CLASS — AND THE PERILS OF REVOLUTION

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 04:41:51 pm »
Pretty much, Ruling Class vs. Country Class!  I always reference Codevilla's American Spectator classic: AMERICA’S RULING CLASS — AND THE PERILS OF REVOLUTION

That is a classic work that I have long had bookmarked! Anyone who hasn't yet read it owes it to themselves to do so!

The TEA parties have, of course, arrived on the scene since this was written.

Thanks for reminding me of it Katz!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:52:22 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 04:55:30 pm »
The TEA Party has an image issue, ...

Thanks in large part to the GOPe.  The GOPe is hell-bent on isolating, fighting against and stomping out the Tea Party.  They'll probably be successful and in the process split their base, muddle their message and lose elections.

The GOPe needs to find a way to embrace the Tea Party and bring them under the tent.  If they don't, then those smart, savvy, know-it-all political gurus are going to drive the Republican Party off a cliff.

Too bad there isn't a way to fix stupid.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 06:07:57 pm »
Thanks in large part to the GOPe.  The GOPe is hell-bent on isolating, fighting against and stomping out the Tea Party.  They'll probably be successful and in the process split their base, muddle their message and lose elections.

The GOPe needs to find a way to embrace the Tea Party and bring them under the tent.  If they don't, then those smart, savvy, know-it-all political gurus are going to drive the Republican Party off a cliff.

Too bad there isn't a way to fix stupid.

I don't know that the TEA Party WANTS in under the tent. They want the tent... period.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 12:34:26 am »
Most people I know in the Tea Party think that social issues should be left up to the States.  The Tea Party is concerned with fiscal issues.  Not all tea party groups agree, nor do they speak for me.  There is no one official Tea Party group.

As you say, there is no one official Tea Party group. The ones I had been associated with before are now concerned mostly with social issues. They do not want to leave those to the states. Those are far more important to them than the fiscal issues.

I wish there was a common definition of "Tea Party". So far, the only thing the groups seem to have in common is that they want to oust the GOP incumbents. Some groups do better than others at picking reasonable candidates, but there have been enough disasters that I would never support someone just because they had "Tea Party support". In the general election, I will always vote for the GOP candidate over the dim or independent, but in the primary, I will only vote for a candidate who has been thoroughly vetted or is the incumbent. And I need proof that the candidate has been vetted, not just testimonials from whichever Tea Party group is funding the candidate.