Author Topic: Subway Removes Ham and Bacon from 185 UK Stores After 'Strong Demand' from Muslims  (Read 1963 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/04/30/Subway-Removes-Ham-and-Bacon-from-185-UK-Stores-After-Strong-Demand-from-Muslims

by Nick Hallett 30 Apr 2014, 8:23 AM PDT

Sandwich chain Subway has removed ham and bacon from its menus in nearly 200 stores, instead serving halal meat, following calls from their Muslim customers. Participating stores are serving turkey ham and rashers in place of the non-halal products.

A Subway spokeswoman told MailOnline that stores have introduced the meat "following a strong demand from our Muslim customers." Branches taking part in the scheme are required to display signs saying "All meats are Halal".

Subway sandwiches affected by the rules include the Italian BMT, the Meatball Marinara, Spicy Italian and Steak and Cheese.

Under Islamic law, Muslims are prohibited from consuming non-halal meat, and all meat from pigs. Meat is considered halal if it has been slaughtered according to religious custom. This usually involves a Muslim slaughterman invoking the name of Allah, before cutting the animal’s throat, windpipe and blood vessels with a sharp knife and draining the blood. According to Islamic scholars, the animal must be conscious while it is killed.

Animal welfare campaigners say that killing the animal while it is still conscious is unnecessarily cruel. In standard abattoirs, the animal is first stunned before being slaughtered. Some halal butchers also practice pre-stunning, even though many Islamic scholars say this is not allowed.

Slaughtering an animal without stunning it first is illegal in Britain, apart from on religious grounds, with Muslims and Jews granted special dispensation. There are estimated to be 12 abattoirs in Britain dedicated to unstunned slaughtering, while hundreds more produce halal meat using pre-stunning.

A Subway spokeswoman told MailOnline that all halal meat served in the sandwich chain is pre-stunned. She added: "The growing popularity of the Subway chain with the diverse multicultural population across the UK and Ireland means we have to balance the values of many religious communities with the overall aim of improving the health and welfare standards of animals.

"We put a programme into place in 2007 to ensure that the population demographic is taken into account when new store openings are considered in order that we meet consumer demand in each location

"All our suppliers comply with EU animal welfare legislation as a minimum and we require suppliers of halal products to adopt the stunning of animals prior to their slaughter."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
This is all legal.

That makes it ok I guess.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

Eh, it's in the UK.  They're already craven cowards when it comes to muslim imperialism.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Eh, it's in the UK.  They're already craven cowards when it comes to muslim imperialism.

Um.

Thanks?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Don't know that we should feel so smug - we're headed down the very same path. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
you're welcome!  :smokin:

:smokin:

Actually - thanks. I needed a laugh very badly tonight.  :laugh:

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
I really do not like Subway.  I just wish there was something else closer to work that was fast and at least somewhat healthy.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I really do not like Subway.  I just wish there was something else closer to work that was fast and at least somewhat healthy.

There is. You got a fridge. Walk past it every morning while you try to wake up. Make a sandwich and take it with you.

Offline MACVSOG68

Ya Think?

Hagel Reviews Hair Regs Seen as Racially Biased

Apr 30, 2014 | by Richard Sisk

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered a servicewide review Tuesday that was likely to scrap parts of new regulations on hair and grooming that drew fire from African-American military women and the Congressional Black Caucus.

On Hagel's directive, the services will have 30 days to "revise any offensive language" in the new regulations and another 90 days "to make whatever appropriate adjustments to DoD policy as necessary," said Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Pentagon's chief spokesman.

The Army's regulation appeared to ban several hairstyles, including twists, dreadlocks and large cornrows that are popular with many African-American women.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/04/30/hagel-reviews-hair-regs-seen-as-racially-biased.html?ESRC=army-a.nl
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
There is. You got a fridge. Walk past it every morning while you try to wake up. Make a sandwich and take it with you.

BACK OFF THERE BUDDY!

I sell all that meat to Subway.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Are they bleep stupid, or what?

You don't have long hair in combat. Full stop, end of story. Why give someone a handle? Or why have hair that, when is sheds, jammed weapons?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Oceander wrote:
[[ Eh, it's in the UK.  They're already craven cowards when it comes to muslim imperialism ]]

And EC replied:
[[ Um.
Thanks? ]]

He's right.
You Brits are doomed.
And it's you own fault.
The only question now is, how much time until it's Sharia law over there?

Offline musiclady

If they take away my turkey/ham sub, I ain't goin' back there............ever.   :smokin:

(Not that I go much anyway.  But it works well while traveling to have a sandwich that you don't have to eat immediately).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
If they take away my turkey/ham sub, I ain't goin' back there............ever.   :smokin:

(Not that I go much anyway.  But it works well while traveling to have a sandwich that you don't have to eat immediately).

The point being that if your turkey/ham can be taken from you there, they can be taken from you everywhere.

Offline musiclady

The point being that if your turkey/ham can be taken from you there, they can be taken from you everywhere.

True enough.

We're in very dangerous territory here.  Even though this is in England, we're not that far from the possibility here.

Can anyone imagine, even a few short years ago, that this would be a concern?

Where is our country?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline evadR

That's it, that's the final straw, taking my ham and turkey. Next thing you know it will be my bacon cheeseburger.
Man CANNOT live without bacon.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That's it, that's the final straw, taking my ham and turkey. Next thing you know it will be my bacon cheeseburger.
Man CANNOT live without bacon.

“Boss? Here.” He threw me a package. Bacon sandwiches. From his private stash – bacon is a second currency here and worth more than gold. “Take care.” He's a good man.

True of everyone who has ever been stationed in the Middle East.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Are they bleeping stupid, or what?

You don't have long hair in combat. Full stop, end of story. Why give someone a handle? Or why have hair that, when is sheds, jammed weapons?

bugs, dirt, filth, the best thing is to be bald
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

bugs, dirt, filth, the best thing is to be bald

Now there speaks the voice of experience!  :laugh:

I always preferred about a half inch cut - back when I actually had hair! Short enough to be easily cleaned with minimal water and provide no grip, long enough to provide some padding under the damned helmet. Don't know about your gear, but our helmets are as uncomfortable as hell.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Now there speaks the voice of experience!  :laugh:

I always preferred about a half inch cut - back when I actually had hair! Short enough to be easily cleaned with minimal water and provide no grip, long enough to provide some padding under the damned helmet. Don't know about your gear, but our helmets are as uncomfortable as hell.

jeez man, what part of it was not uncomfortable. 'uncomfortable' doesn't even come close to what I went through.

But, back on topic. Subway can take all the ham and bacon out of all of their stores in America. That would be fine with me. Of couse, they will be out of business within a month, but if that is what they want to do, they are welcome to it. There is a subway, a dominos, a burger king, a taco bell, a local Italian place, and on and on, within a mile of where I live. If subway wants to become Kosher, or Hallal, or Hindu, or whatever, it matters not to me.

I will just go somewhere else. People often reap the fruits of their stupidity.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Oh - I don't know. Traded an unopened bottle of vodka for two of your night camo pattern jackets - the ones with the IR absorbing dye? They are comfortable as hell!

But on topic - I agree. If Subway has a market for their decision, they'll thrive. Otherwise, they'll fold. I'll bet on fold - pretty much every corner shop and cafe here does a roaring trade in bacon sandwiches.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Oh - I don't know. Traded an unopened bottle of vodka for two of your night camo pattern jackets - the ones with the IR absorbing dye? They are comfortable as hell!

But on topic - I agree. If Subway has a market for their decision, they'll thrive. Otherwise, they'll fold. I'll bet on fold - pretty much every corner shop and cafe here does a roaring trade in bacon sandwiches.

you are drunk. there is no such thing. at least i have never heard of it. good story though.  lol

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

you are drunk. there is no such thing. at least i have never heard of it. good story though.  lol

With all due respect - never call me drunk. Ever. I am 4 1/2 years sober and some days it is hard enough to keep going without that added stress.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
With all due respect - never call me drunk. Ever. I am 4 1/2 years sober and some days it is hard enough to keep going without that added stress.

i am sorry. i meant no sensitivity. of course i could not know these details.