Author Topic: Sen. Paul: ‘We’re Not Changing Any’ Abortion ‘Laws Until the Country is Persuaded Otherwise’  (Read 490 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Sen. Paul: ‘We’re Not Changing Any’ Abortion ‘Laws Until the Country is Persuaded Otherwise’

Penny Starr

(CNSNews.com) – Although he is pro-life and believes life begins at the moment of conception, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), a potential presidential contender in 2016, said that because of the polarization over abortion, Americans  need to be persuaded on the issue and “we’re not changing any of the laws until the country is persuaded otherwise.”

Paul himself has introduced the Life at Conception Act (S. 583), which would provide constitutional protection to children at the moment of conception.

Last week, Paul was interviewed at the University of Chicago’s Institute of Politics by liberal David Axelrod, a former senior adviser to President Barack Obama.

Speaking about the polarization in America over abortion, Paul said, “So, instead of saying the debate is, gosh, it’s all life and no abortion or all abortion and no life – that’s where we are right now.  We’re nine months of gestation, or 40 weeks of gestation, with no real exceptions for life right now.”

“And if you say the health of the mother, in any fashion, it’s not really defined, can be affected, you can have an abortion at any time,” said Paul.  “So really the question is whether  or not – I think the public is somewhere in the middle  of those two.”

“And where are you, that’s what I’m trying to get at,” Axelrod said.

“I think that’s where the law would be,” Paul said. “My religious and personal belief is that life begins at the very beginning.”

Axelrod then said, “Well, would you sign or promote a law that would add –“  apparently in reference to restricting abortion.

Paul said, “No. I think where the country is – I think persuasion is part of this. I think where the country is, is somewhere in the middle, that we’re not changing any of the laws until the country is persuaded otherwise.”

Commenting on Senator Paul’s remarks, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins said, “Obviously, no president has the power to unilaterally ban abortion, but he does have the power to make the issue a priority -- something most Americans assumed Rand Paul would do.”

more at:  http://cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/sen-paul-we-re-not-changing-any-abortion-laws-until-country-persuaded

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald