Author Topic: Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million  (Read 533 times)

Offline happyg

Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »
By Jessica Chasmar

A Canadian woman who accidentally killed a teen and injured two others after running them over with her SUV is now suing the dead boy’s family for emotional distress.

“I feel like someone kicked me in the stomach — I’m over the edge. Sometimes, it makes my blood boil,” said Derek Majewski, father of 17-year-old Brandon Majewski, who died in Alcona, Ontario, on Oct. 28, 2012, the Toronto Sun reported.

The teen and his two friends were out riding their bicycles on a dark road about 1:30 a.m. when they were hit from behind by an SUV driven by Sharlene Simon.

Brandon died at a hospital from multiple traumatic injuries. Richard McLean, 16, suffered a broken pelvis and other bones, and Jake Roberts, 16, sustained only scratches.

Miss Simon, a 42-year-old mother of three, is suing the dead boy and his family, including the boy’s brother, who has since died. She is also suing the two other boys and the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

“In all of my years as a lawyer, I have never seen anyone ever sue a child that they killed,” the family’s lawyer, Brian Cameron, told the Sun. “It’s beyond the pale. I just couldn’t bring myself to tell them on the phone.”

Miss Simon is claiming $1.35 million in damages due to depression, anxiety, irritability and post-traumatic stress. She also claims the boys were “incompetent bicyclists” and blames them for negligence.

“I’m devastated, I’m in shock,” Brandon’s mother, Venetta Mylnczyk, told the Sun. “She killed my child and now she wants to profit from it? She says she’s in pain? Tell her to look inside my head and she will see pain, she will see panic, she will see nightmares.”

Six months after Brandon’s funeral, the grief-stricken parents found their second son Devon, 23, dead in his bed from an apparent drug overdose.

The family’s lawyer has launched a routine lawsuit against the driver, mainly for medical and funeral costs on behalf of the boys and their families, the newspaper reported.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/28/driver-who-killed-teen-bike-sues-family-13-million/#.U157eV_GA3J.twitter#ixzz30CN3tWFG
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 06:09:56 pm »
The hell?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Slide Rule

Re: Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:01 pm »
Now this lady should be shot.

Not kidding.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote