Author Topic: Sarah Palin: ‘Waterboarding is how we’d baptize terrorists’ in her administration  (Read 13261 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I think everyone here knows what Christian Baptism is, so didn't post it. Or do you really think we are that stupid? Sarah isn't a saint, but compared to RINOS, I'd say she has a lot more going for her.

Not stupid.

Disingenuous.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline happyg

Not stupid.

Disingenuous.

That works both ways. Projecting?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I find Sarah's comment offensive.

She's equating one of the most important tenets of my religion to what constitutes torture.

Sarah's comment is over the line, so you need top remove it as well.

If you think water boarding is torture I know of a few other games you would LOVE to play!

EVERY person who has ever served in any special operations arm of any branch of our military has undergone training that would make a day of water boarding look like a Sunday School picnic!

Why should people who want nothing more than to kill each and every one of us be immune to that?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Apparently, Sarah mods here.

I am not a moderator, just so you know.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
That works both ways. Projecting?

Tell you what... I'll make my case, the you make yours.

I Googled the following "define baptism", and here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+baptism&rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS584US584&oq=definition+baptism&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9332j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

EVERY SINGLE return from that search in that page defines "baptism" as a religious rite. EVERY SINGLE suggested related searches points you to something associated with religion.

YOU post a definition of the word that lacks a single association to Christianity.

What's the link to that lefty dictionary?

I didn't find it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
If you think water boarding is torture I know of a few other games you would LOVE to play!

EVERY person who has ever served in any special operations arm of any branch of our military has undergone training that would make a day of water boarding look like a Sunday School picnic!

Why should people who want nothing more than to kill each and every one of us be immune to that?

OK... we'll play.

I'll water, you board.

I won't understand how you can possibly think that what's happening to you is torture.

Are you in?

I don't necessarily disapprove of using the method to obtain information, but I don't kid myself into thinking that it isn't torture.

Offline happyg

Tell you what... I'll make my case, the you make yours.

I Googled the following "define baptism", and here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+baptism&rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS584US584&oq=definition+baptism&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9332j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

EVERY SINGLE return from that search in that page defines "baptism" as a religious rite. EVERY SINGLE suggested related searches points you to something associated with religion.

YOU post a definition of the word that lacks a single association to Christianity.

What's the link to that lefty dictionary?

I didn't find it.

This is the FIRST definition of Baptism on Google, by Google: bap·tism

/ˈbapˌtizəm/

noun

noun: baptism

(in the Christian Church) the religious rite of sprinkling water onto a person's forehead or of immersion in water, symbolizing purification or regeneration and admission to the Christian Church. In many denominations, baptism is performed on young children and is accompanied by name-giving.

synonyms: christening, naming More
"the baptism ceremony"

•a ceremony or occasion at which baptism takes place.
plural noun: baptisms

•a person's initiation into a particular activity or role, typically one perceived as difficult.
"this event constituted his baptism as a politician"

synonyms: initiation, debut, introduction, inauguration, launch, rite of passage
"his baptism as a politician"

Now, I'm done with the spamming of a thread with the same thing over and over.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
OK... we'll play.

I'll water, you board.

I won't understand how you can possibly think that what's happening to you is torture.

Are you in?

I don't necessarily disapprove of using the method to obtain information, but I don't kid myself into thinking that it isn't torture.

So a device that results in absolutely no physical harm is, in your mind, Torture! Interesting!

Damned right I'll play!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I think everyone here knows what Christian Baptism is, so didn't post it. Or do you really think we are that stupid? Sarah isn't a saint, but compared to RINOS, I'd say she has a lot more going for her.

So why then in response to sinkspur's challenge that you look the word up in the dictionary, did you post a definition that totally excluded the word's roots in the rites of Christianity instead f just agreeing with him?

I could say "no shit?" instead of "is that true?", but that doesn't make the word "shit" less offensive or appropriate. 

Online Lando Lincoln

Can we agree that the acts of waterboarding and baptism are mutually exclusive and let it go?  Sheese.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
So a device that results in absolutely no physical harm is, in your mind, Torture! Interesting!

Damned right I'll play!

You'll volunteer yourself to be subjected to waterboarding to defend Palin's use of a word.

Since we're all using our dictionaries today, look up fanaticism.

Offline sinkspur

This is cute.  The Palinites are twisting themselves into knots trying to convince us that Palin--mensa member that she is--had some obscure meaning attached to the word "baptize" when, in fact, she knew exactly what she was saying. 

It's not waterboarding that's the issue here, folks.  It's the misappropriation of the word "baptize" to a procedure that is viewed by Christian morality as immoral.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Can we agree that the acts of waterboarding and baptism are mutually exclusive and let it go?  Sheese.

No shit....this is ridiculous!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You'll volunteer yourself to be subjected to waterboarding to defend Palin's use of a word.

Since we're all using our dictionaries today, look up fanaticism.

I've been subjected to a hell of a lot worse than water boarding my friend! Have you?

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.) in his 1964 presidential nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention

I happen to agree with him!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

Myst... I sometimes take 3.

John Steinbeck

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Bryan Fischer: Sarah Palin’s joke about waterboarding people was “clever and funny”
Elias Isquith
Salon
April 30, 2014

Speaking on his radio show on Tuesday, the American Family Association’s Bryan Fischer came to the defense of Sarah Palin, arguing that her recent controversial joke about waterboarding-as-terrorist-baptism was not barbaric and offensive but rather “clever and funny” and good.

“I just love her spunk and lover her spirit,” Fischer said in Palin’s defense. Besides, Fischer said, “waterboarding is not torture.”
More, with reader comments

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I've been subjected to a hell of a lot worse than water boarding my friend! Have you?

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.) in his 1964 presidential nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention

I happen to agree with him!

You do this a lot.

It's a logical fallacy known as argumentum ab auctoritate, argument from authority. The idea that anything said by anyone who is generally held in high regard, must be correct.

One of the most notable examples of the fallacy is the case of American zoologist Theophilus Painter.

In 1923 Painter declared that according to his findings, humans had 24 pairs of chromosomes. From that point through the 1950's, Painter's count continued to be held as scientific fact, in spite of numerous counts during that period of time showing that the correct number was 23. Even textbooks with pictures clearly showing 23 pairs of chromosomes declared the number to be 24 based on nothing more that Painter's gravitas and acknowledged position of authority.

In your case, you are trying to make the argument that since Goldwater used the word "extremism" in a positive light in his 1964 acceptance speech, and Goldwater is a conservative icon, he would approve of waterboarding.

That's a far reach.

In his speech, Goldwater was alluding to the 1964 racial riots.

I really doubt that Goldwater would agree that when he said "extremism" he meant waterboarding.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Besides, Fischer said, “waterboarding is not torture.”

Most people who have never been waterboarded would agree.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Luis.....thanks for staying on point despite the flak.   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You do this a lot.

It's a logical fallacy known as argumentum ab auctoritate, argument from authority. The idea that anything said by anyone who is generally held in high regard, must be correct.

One of the most notable examples of the fallacy is the case of American zoologist Theophilus Painter.

In 1923 Painter declared that according to his findings, humans had 24 pairs of chromosomes. From that point through the 1950's, Painter's count continued to be held as scientific fact, in spite of numerous counts during that period of time showing that the correct number was 23. Even textbooks with pictures clearly showing 23 pairs of chromosomes declared the number to be 24 based on nothing more that Painter's gravitas and acknowledged position of authority.

In your case, you are trying to make the argument that since Goldwater used the word "extremism" in a positive light in his 1964 acceptance speech, and Goldwater is a conservative icon, he would approve of waterboarding.

That's a far reach.

I really doubt that Goldwater would agree that when he said "extremism" he meant waterboarding.

So you don't think Barry Goldwater would have been on board with the use of water boarding in order to obtain information needed to protect citizens of the U.S. from our sworn enemies?

If so I respectfully but STRONGLY disagree!

And I would appreciate it if you would stop building strawmen in order to support your arguments.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:25:04 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

You do this a lot.

That's a far reach.

Very well done. 
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
So you don't think Barry Goldwater would have been on board with the use of water boarding in order to obtain information needed to protect citizens of the U.S. from our sworn enemies?

If so I respectfully but STRONGLY disagree!

And I would appreciate it if you would stop building strawmen in order to support your arguments.

Not only do I not think that, but equally as significant is the fact that you don't know that he would.

Point me to the strawman in my argument.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
P.S. Bigun, according to your own argument, waterboarding is extremism, so all we're debating now is the degree of extremism.