Author Topic: An oligarchy and not a republic? No kidding?  (Read 504 times)

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
An oligarchy and not a republic? No kidding?
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:10:33 AM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:12:00 AM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dexter

Re: An oligarchy and not a republic? No kidding?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:21 AM »
Being an oligarchy or not does not depend on the size of your government. Your government could actually be quite small and still be an oligarchy. Oligarchies are created when the very richest among us seize disproportionate control over the system.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
Being an oligarchy or not does not depend on the size of your government. Your government could actually be quite small and still be an oligarchy. Oligarchies are created when the very richest among us seize disproportionate control over the system.

And that is EXACTLY what congress and the voters have done.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dexter

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
And that is EXACTLY what congress and the voters have done.

So what are we going to do about it? Continuing to play by their rules and electing the same types of politicians to be bought off and used to further the interests of the elite will get us nowhere.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:11:29 AM by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »
George Washington

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dexter

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:51:30 AM »
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »
So you believe liberals/progressives are solely responsible for us descending into a state of oligarchy? I tend to believe it is more of a bipartisan issue, and that the elites that own everything don't actually have a party affiliation. I think both sides have been bought, and that the entire process is now being used to oppress the people and further their goals.

It IS a bipartisan issue Dex - there are a lot of us that recognize that progressives exist in BOTH parties - politicians who, regardless of party affiliation, believe that an ever-expanding government is a GOOD thing - and that the difference between each party is that each party espouses the notion they THEY can administer government to us better than the other party. 

It is this nanny-state that I mean when I refer to progressives.  I believe in the use of the word "conservative" to describe those who believe in a very conservative approach to the taking of, and using the taxpayer's hard-earned dollars.  A definite cut the fat approach!

Some would lump "social" conservatives in with fiscal conservatives - but the original Tea Party fight had nothing to do with social issues.  I believe there are those that are trying to co-op the movement, and it is definitely muddying the waters. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
So you believe liberals/progressives are solely responsible for us descending into a state of oligarchy? I tend to believe it is more of a bipartisan issue, and that the elites that own everything don't actually have a party affiliation. I think both sides have been bought, and that the entire process is now being used to oppress the people and further their goals.

Notice I said liberal/progressives, not democrats/republicans.  I also said ALL members of congress should be voted out.  That doesn't seem to me that I am supporting anything but America and the Constitution and believe, like you, both sides have been bought by the highest bidder.
George Washington

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
It IS a bipartisan issue Dex - there are a lot of us that recognize that progressives exist in BOTH parties - politicians who, regardless of party affiliation, believe that an ever-expanding government is a GOOD thing - and that the difference between each party is that each party espouses the notion they THEY can administer government to us better than the other party. 

Government expansion and the formation of an oligarchy are two separate issues. One did not create the other, and they are not mutually exclusive. Our political system is completely run and controlled by money, which creates a situation where money = power. You don't even have a chance as a politician if you don't get on your knees and worship the big money that pulls all of the purse strings for campaign funding. Allowing money to influence politics and then allowing the rich to use their money to influence politics is what creates an oligarchy.

-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »
Government expansion and the formation of an oligarchy are two separate issues. One did not create the other, and they are not mutually exclusive. Our political system is completely run and controlled by money, which creates a situation where money = power. You don't even have a chance as a politician if you don't get on your knees and worship the big money that pulls all of the purse strings for campaign funding. Allowing money to influence politics and then allowing the rich to use their money to influence politics is what creates an oligarchy.

What you say is true, but I maintain that "progressivism" is really just a money and power grab.  It parades itself as a movement that seeks to help the poor and unfortunate by doling benefits to them.  On the surface, it sounds very compassionate - but dig deeper and you will see a bacchanal gluttony of elites and their cronies profiting from these multitudes of government programs that are poorly administrated and rife with abuse. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
The GOP-e is more interested in "oligarchies".

The democrats are totalitarian statists who will use technology to support a police state.

And the GOP-e oligarchists will help them do it!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf