Author Topic: Race row roils NBA  (Read 6981 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Race row roils NBA
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:55:03 am »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=3B35C230-DA2D-5528-1F562D64A1C3ABF1

Race row roils NBA
By: Associated Press
April 26, 2014 03:33 PM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO — Anger, frustration and calls for action echoed around the NBA on Saturday after an audio recording surfaced of a man identified as Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling telling his girlfriend not to bring black people to games.

Everybody except for the embattled Clippers owner, who has a decades-long history of discrimination and offensive behavior, seemed to have a response.

The league said it was investigating the recording posted on TMZ's website, calling the comments "disturbing and offensive." Lakers Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, a target of Sterling's remarks, said he wouldn't attend Clippers' games as long as Sterling was the owner. Miami Heat star LeBron James asked new NBA Commissioner Adam Silver to take aggressive measures, saying "there is no room for Donald Sterling in our league."

"Obviously, if the reports are true it's unacceptable in our league," James said. "It doesn't matter, white, black or Hispanic — all across the races it's unacceptable. As the commissioner of our league they have to make a stand. They have to be very aggressive with it. I don't know what it will be, but we can't have that in our league."

Clippers coach Doc Rivers said players even discussed boycotting Game 4 of their first-round playoff series at Golden State on Sunday during a 45-minute team meeting but quickly decided against it.

"I think the biggest statement we can make as men, not as black men, as men, is to stick together and show how strong we are as a group," Rivers said. "Not splinter. Not walk. It's easy to protest. The protest will be in our play."

Clippers President Andy Roeser said in a statement that the team did not know if the tape is legitimate or has been altered. He said the woman on the tape, identified by TMZ as V. Stiviano, "is the defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would 'get even.'"

Roeser also said the recording does not reflect Sterling's beliefs. He added that Sterling is "upset and apologizes for sentiments attributed to him" about Johnson, whom he called Sterling's friend.

In the recording posted on TMZ, the man questions his girlfriend's association with minorities. TMZ reported Stiviano, who is of black and Mexican descent, posted a picture of herself with Johnson on Instagram — which has since been removed.

The man asked Stiviano not to broadcast her association with black people or bring black people to games. The man specifically mentioned Johnson on the recording, saying "don't bring him to my games, OK?"

"I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner," Johnson responded on Twitter. He also said the alleged comments are "a black eye for the NBA" and said he felt bad that friends such as Rivers and Clippers point guard Chris Paul had to work for Sterling.

Paul released a statement through the players union that said "this is a very serious issue which we will address aggressively." Paul and Clippers All-Star forward Blake Griffin declined further comment on the issue after the team's practice at the University of San Francisco.

Other players were not made available as Rivers said he would speak for the team.

"A lot of guys voiced their opinions. None of them were happy about it," Rivers said. "This was a situation where we're trying to go after something very important for us, something that we've all dreamed about all our childhoods. Donald or anyone else had nothing to do with that dream, and we're not going to let anything get in the way of those dreams."

Silver was scheduled to address reporters Saturday night in Memphis, Tenn., before the Grizzlies' playoff game against Oklahoma City.

On TNT's halftime studio show Saturday, host Charles Barkley said "this is the first test of Adam Silver." He said Silver had to "suspend him and fine him immediately."

NBA TV analyst and former player Chris Webber said that "the NBA owners need to handle their own."

In Dallas, where the Spurs were getting ready to play the Mavericks, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said: "The comments are obviously disgusting."

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said "I have plenty of opinions, just not going to share them," fending off several inquiries before saying: "Obviously, if any business or entrepreneur says or does things that aren't congruent with what the organization is trying to convey, that's a problem. But it's not my problem."

Warriors coach Mark Jackson, who played for the Clippers from 1992-94, said of Sterling's comments: "My feeling would be the same, no matter if I was coaching, playing or a fan. There's no place for it."

Jacky Johnson, a spokeswoman for the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, said the organization planned a protest outside Game 5 of the Clippers-Warriors series Tuesday night in Los Angeles.

Sterling, a real estate owner, bought the Clippers in 1981. He is the longest-tenured owner in the NBA since Lakers owner Jerry Buss died last year.

He has been frequently criticized for his frugal operation of the Clippers, although in recent years he has spent heavily to add stars such as Paul and Rivers, who is in his first year as coach. Sterling also has been involved in several lawsuits over the years, including ones with accusations of discrimination.

In November 2009, Sterling agreed to pay $2.73 million to settle allegations by the government that he refused to rent apartments to Hispanics and blacks and to families with children. The Justice Department sued Sterling in August 2006 for allegations of housing discrimination in the Koreatown area of Los Angeles.

In March 2011, Sterling won a lawsuit against former Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor when a jury rejected the Hall of Famer's claim of age discrimination and harassment. Baylor, who was 76 at the time, had sought about $2 million after claiming he was forced out of the job he had held for 22 years. The team said Baylor left on his own and a jury awarded him nothing.

Sterling is a courtside fixture at Clippers home games. But he rarely visits the team's locker room at Staples Center, although he made an appearance in December 2012 after they had won their 11th straight game, when he led an awkward locker room cheer.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Race row roils NBA
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:57:29 am »
http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/26/donald-sterling-clippers-owner-black-people-racist-audio-magic-johnson/

Clippers Owner Donald Sterling to GF -- Don't Bring Black People to My Games ... Including Magic Johnson
L.A. Clippers Owner to GF:
Don't Bring Black People to My Games ...
Including Magic Johnson
4/25/2014 10:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling told his GF he does NOT want her bringing black people to his games ... including Magic Johnson ... and it's ALL on tape.

TMZ Sports has obtained audio of Sterling making the racist declaration during a heated argument on April 9th with V. Stiviano ... after she posted a photo on Instagram posing with Magic.

Sterling rails on Stiviano -- who ironically is black and Mexican -- for putting herself out in public with a black person (she has since taken the pic down).  But it doesn't end there.  You have to listen to the audio to fully grasp the magnitude of Sterling's racist worldview. Among the comments:

-- "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people. Do you have to?" (3:30)

-- "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want.  The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games." (5:15)

-- "I’m just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you don’t have to have yourself with, walking with black people." (7:45)

-- "...Don't put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me.  And don't bring him to my games." (9:13)

Sterling has a documented history of allegedly racist behavior -- he's been sued twice by the federal government for allegedly refusing to rent apartments to Blacks and Latinos.

He was also sued by former Clippers exec Elgin Baylor for racial discrimination -- though a jury was ultimately not convinced and shot down Baylor's case. 

Sterling has been separated from his wife Shelly for years.  She remains a key player in running the team and sources tell us she's "mortified" by Sterling's comments.

We have made several calls to Sterling and his people ... so far, no word back.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:01:01 am »
I saw this earlier today.  Quite extraordinary.  The new NBA commish has a major PR issue on his hands.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mrclose

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 01:13:42 am »
“this is why i hate white people. You guys try to turn everything into a racial issue.” ~ charles barkley
  :beer:
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:44:15 am »
I is be hatin on White peoples cause they always be's talkin bout Black peoples like we is be being stupid an shit. We is be being the same as them is be being. GET USED TO IT!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:04:13 am »
http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/26/jesse-jackson-clippers-donald-sterling-audio-nba/

Jesse Jackson -- Calls for Symbolic Protest ... From Clippers Players
Jesse Jackson
Calls for Symbolic Protest
... From Clippers Players
4/26/2014 8:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Home
Jesse Jackson -- Calls for Symbolic Protest ... From Clippers Players
Jesse Jackson
Calls for Symbolic Protest
... From Clippers Players
4/26/2014 8:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

042614_rev_jesse_jackson_launch
Reverend Jesse Jackson is calling for Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and the rest of the Clippers to employ some kind of "symbolic expression" to protest the statements made by team owner Donald Sterling.

We just spoke with Jackson ... who tells us he's outraged by Sterling's racist comments -- and says it puts the players in an awkward situation, due to the fact they have a playoff game tomorrow.

Jackson says the league "must respond and respond quickly" -- and says the players should do something during the game to "show a sign of indignation."

Jackson pointed to the Miami Heat players -- who wore hoodies to show their outrage after the shooting of Trayvon Martin ... and says the Clippers should do something similar.
Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 03:00:47 am »
Oh my.  The thug league finds itself in a twist.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of guys.

Meanwhile, me and mine are watching the National Hockey League Playoffs, where rapin', robbin', and boorish behavior are not the order of the day.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:01:31 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 04:03:27 am »
You want racism?

I'll show you racism. The white man beating the black man down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjl3zOYPbRg

Black man gotta fight back

Show the plantation owner who da man is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7N3Iicu9EE

Plantation owner happen to be black.

It happens.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:07:40 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/27/us/nba-team-owner-alleged-racist-remarks/

Obama responds to alleged racist comments by Clippers' Don Sterling
By Kevin Conlon and Shelby Lin Erdman, CNN
updated 7:01 AM EDT, Sun April 27, 2014

(CNN) -- The racism controversy embroiling Don Sterling, the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, has reached half way around the world to Malaysia, where President Obama is on a diplomatic mission to Asia Pacific nations.

At a press conference with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak Sunday, Obama was asked about racist comments Sterling allegedly made about African-Americans.

"When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, you don't really have to do anything, you just let them talk. That's what happened here," the President said.

Obama also said Sterling's alleged comments are an example of how "the United States continues to wrestle with the legacy of race and slavery and segregation."

"That's still there, the vestiges of discrimination. We've made enormous strides, but you're going to continue to see this percolate up every so often," Obama said in Malaysia.

Sterling, who has owned the basketball franchise for nearly three decades, is now under investigation by the NBA over the alleged comments.

According to the website TMZ, Sterling made the alleged discriminatory remarks during a 10-minute argument he had with girlfriend V. Stiviano on April 9. TMZ posted a recording of the argument online Friday.

If authentic, the remarks seem to reflect Sterling's embarrassment and frustration with Stiviano over her associating with African-Americans at Clippers games and for posting such pictures on her Instagram account.

Clippers president Andy Roeser on Saturday questioned the recording and suggested a woman -- whom he doesn't mention by name -- was "getting even" with Sterling over a lawsuit.

According to a report from CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS last month, Rochelle Sterling, the wife of Donald Sterling, filed a lawsuit last month and is seeking damages and property.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said that the league's investigation will seek to determine whether the tape is authentic and to figure out the context in which these "offensive and disturbing" comments were made.

But he cautioned that Sterling must be afforded due process, so he would not speculate on any possible punishment, if any -- but said that the investigation will move "extraordinarily quickly."

Speaking about the recording, Roeser said, "we do not know if it is legitimate or it has been altered. We do know that the woman on the tape -- who we believe released it to TMZ -- is the defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would "get even."

TMZ has not said who made the recording or how the celebrity-centric website obtained it.

Attempts to reach Stiviano on Saturday were unsuccessful. She is part African-American, according to the recording.

The man alleged to be Sterling takes particular exception to a photo she posted to Instagram with NBA icon Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

"In your lousy f**ing Instagrams, you don't have to have yourself with -- walking with black people," the man says.

"If it's white people, it's OK?" she responds. "If it was Larry Bird, would it make a difference?"

Bird, the longtime Boston Celtics star, was Johnson's NBA rival.

"I've known [Magic] well and he should be admired .... I'm just saying that it's too bad you can't admire him privately," the man on the recording says. "Admire him, bring him here, feed him, f**k him, but don't put [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games."

Johnson responded Saturday afternoon via his verified Twitter account.

"I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans" read a tweet from @MagicJohnson. "I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner," read another.

"We also suggest that African Americans and Latinos should honor his (Sterling's) request and not attend the games," Alice Huffman, the President of the NAACP California State Conference said in a statement released Saturday.

It's the first suggestion of a boycott of the team after the racism allegations.

In a side bar, Sterling was expected to receive a lifetime achievement award at an event next month to mark the 100th anniversary of the Los Angeles NAACP.

"If these allegations are proven true, we are extremely disappointed in Mr. Sterling," Huffman said.

She urged the Los Angeles branch of the NAACP to withdraw Sterling's name from the honoree list for the anniversary celebration.

Roeser said Sterling is upset and apologizes for sentiments attributed to him about Earvin Johnson. "[Sterling] has long considered Magic a friend and has only the utmost respect and admiration for him -- both in terms of who he is and what he has achieved."

Sterling is "emphatic that what is reflected on that recording is not consistent with, nor does it reflect his views, beliefs or feelings," Roeser said.

"I don't know if I'm surprised or not," Clippers head coach Doc Rivers said at the team's practice Saturday, adding that he "obviously" didn't like the comments.

Rivers, who is in his first year coaching the team, told reporters that he didn't want the controversy to distract from the playoffs. He said he would be the sole person speaking on behalf of the team.

Miami Heat forward LeBron James was one of several players and former players weighing in on the controversy. James spoke to reporters before the playoff game against the Charlottle Bobcats Saturday night.

"If the reports are true, it's unacceptable. It's unacceptable in our league. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, Hispanic, whatever, all across the races. It's unacceptable and as a commissioner in our league, they have to make a stand, and they have to be very aggressive with it."

"Should this guy continue to be an owner?" asked Shaquille O'Neal, who also called the comments "repugnant."

"We cannot have an NBA owner discriminating against the league," said Charles Barkley. "We're a black league."

Both discussed the issue during the Atlanta Hawks-Indiana Pacers halftime program on TNT, which like CNN, is a division of Time Warner.

The players union's response will be led by NBA player-turned-mayor of Sacramento Kevin Johnson. "The reported comments made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling are reprehensible and unacceptable," he said in a statement.

Meantime, Sterling will be conspicuously missing from his usual courtside seats. He's agreed not to attend the Clippers palyoff game Sunday in Oakland against the Warriors.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:52:29 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/376641/racist-clippers-owner-donald-sterling-democrat-tim-cavanaugh

Racist Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Is a Democrat
By Tim Cavanaugh
April 27, 2014 1:48 AM

L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling, whom commentators have tried to tie to the Republican Party after his alleged racist statements, is in fact a Democrat, according to campaign contribution records.

Sterling is in hot water after TMZ released recordings purporting to be a weird psychosexual rant he directed at girlfriend V. Stiviano, accusing her of publicly associating with black people. The highly offensive comments have drawn condemnation from across the National Basketball Association as well as from many other sources; and inevitably, attempts have been made to link him to the Republican Party. These appear to be based on campaign contribution records for a different Sterling, who lives in the state of Texas. Clippers owner Donald Sterling lives in Beverly Hills, has a long history of bigoted behavior in his Los Angeles business dealings, and according to a 2011 RealGM report, was a very occasional Democratic donor in the 1990s:

Donald Sterling, Los Angeles Clippers
Records show Sterling has donated just $6,000, with no activity since the early 1990s. He supported Gray Davis early in his career, as well as Bill Bradley.

Bradley was a Hall of Fame forward for the New York Knicks before becoming a U.S. senator from New Jersey and an unsuccessful presidential candidate. Davis made out with Cybill Shepherd in the 1960s before becoming California’s 37th governor and the first Golden State executive ever to be recalled.

At the American Power blog, Donald Douglas has an extended discussion of Sterling’s donations to liberal causes and the left-leaning commentators who have lauded him in the past. At the time TMZ released its recording, Sterling was scheduled to receive a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP.

This will be an interesting banquet… pic.twitter.com/FZdcjI7mAJ
    — Shelby Grad (@shelbygrad) April 26, 2014

Presuming the recordings are authentic, Sterling’s fixations appear to be strangely selective. At one point he fumes about Stiviano’s associating with Magic Johnson, not on the grounds that Magic is a former Laker but because Sterling believes she is publicizing her friendship with the beloved Los Angeles icon:

“[A]dmire him — bring him here, feed him, f–k him, I don’t care. You can do anything. But don’t put him on an Instagram for the world to see so they have to call me. And don’t bring him to my games.”

In another section Sterling reiterates that he is untroubled by the prospect of Stiviano’s sleeping with black men — an ancient point of agitation for white racists — but doesn’t want her to post pictures of blacks on Instagram:

“You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want.  The little I ask you is not to promote it on that … and not to bring them to my games.”

Sterling made his fortune as a divorce and personal injury lawyer and Southern California real estate developer. He is reported to be worth $1.9 billion.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 02:41:44 pm »
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/133170-latest-clipper-owner-race-wrinkle-naacp-scheduled-award-donald-sterling-lifetime-achievement-award/

NAACP Scheduled To Give ‘Racist’ Democrat-Backing LA Clippers Owner Lifetime Achievement Award

By Michael Hausam

The NAACP is scheduled to award L.A. Clippers owner and Democrat supporter Donald T. Sterling a lifetime achievement award next month, adding to the controversy about racist comments he allegedly made to his girlfriend.

Charges of racism against Sterling are not new, having been sued by his 22-year employee and basketball star Elgin Baylor in 2009 (which was thrown out of court) and also settling a housing discrimination lawsuit.

On the other hand, he received a previous lifetime achievement award from the NAACP in 2009 and the President’s Award from them in 2008. Alice Huffman, president of the NAACP California State Conference, said in a statement, “If these allegations are proven true, we are extremely disappointed in Mr. Sterling.”

The Clippers organization released a statement today and definitely added some twists to the story. They deny that the recording reflects Sterling’s sentiments and are investigating to see if it is his voice or if it has been altered. Furthermore, the statement said this about the woman involved:

We do know that the woman on the tape — who we believe released it to TMZ — is the defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would “get even.”

Obviously, it will be incredibly interesting to follow where this story goes.

Update:  African American conservatives makes a hilarious point via our friends at Young Conservatives:

I don’t know which political party Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling supports.

But if msnbc doesn’t focus on him exclusively for the next 2 weeks, if Rev. Al Sharpton and the NAACP don’t call for protests and demand Chris Paul and Blake Griffin quit the team, and if he isn’t forced to sell Clippers, he’s not a Republican.

Exactly.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 03:50:09 pm »
This is going to end up like Marge Schott...and the Cincinnati Reds.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marge_Schott

An eight year-old $1,000 donation to a one man, one woman marriage group brings down a tech CEO.

Followed by a private conversation made public. 

I don't believe in coincidences.   The NSA collects all meta data....but they can convert it to audio if they decide to look at 'you' specifically.

This is all scripted, IMO.  They're trying to start a race war.

And I am tickled to death that these 'car-jackers in shorts' are pissed off.  If I were an owner, I'd let them leave....cancel all their contracts and recruit Indiana and Kansas players.   LOL!

Talk about the golden goose fable.......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 04:01:23 pm »
This is going to end up like Marge Schott...and the Cincinnati Reds.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marge_Schott

An eight year-old $1,000 donation to a one man, one woman marriage group brings down a tech CEO.

I don't believe in coincidences.   The NSA collects all meta data....but they can convert it to audio if they decide to look at 'you' specifically.

And I am tickled to death that these 'car-jackers in shorts' are pissed off.  If I were an owner, I'd let them leave....cancel all their contracts and recruit Indiana and Kansas players.   LOL!

OK...

Fine...

But let that all happen AFTER WE THREEPEAT.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 04:57:52 pm »

You could be spot on correct, nothing would surprise me at this point in time.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 07:36:02 pm »
You could be spot on correct, nothing would surprise me at this point in time.

It was well known in the owner's circle-of-influence that he holds a "last century" POV regarding Black Americans.

If every phone call or email or picture saved on the internet has been tracked, and you could be used to manipulate the headlines....destroying lives and creating mayhem....well, you all get what I'm saying. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:55:12 am »
Hmm.

Donald Sterling (real name: Donald Tokowitz; he's Jewish, which adds an interesting wrinkle to all of it, at least to me) is the longest tenured owner in the NBA. He bought the Clippers in the early 1980s and brought the team to LA (it was previously the Buffalo Braves, then briefly the San Diego Clippers under Irv Levin). Magic Johnson is well-known for his business exploits. Plus, there is a movement to find a team to move to Seattle (they tried to buy the Sacramento Kings but the NBA said no way) and revive the old Supersonics.

It would not be the least bit surprising that the NBA (arguably the most corrupt of all the major leagues) is using this fiasco to orchestrate Sterling's ouster from the league, get them out of the Lakers' market and put the team up for sale.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:41 pm »
Obama weighs in before all the facts are known, just like the Gates incident, Trayvon Martin and every other racial incident in the past five years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Al Sharpton Taking Aim at NBA's Business Partners Over Sterling
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:27 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=568011

Newsmax
Al Sharpton Taking Aim at NBA's Business Partners Over Sterling
Monday, April 28, 2014 06:14 AM

By: Scott Soshnick

Civil rights activist Al Sharpton said he’s “totally outraged” the National Basketball Association has yet to discipline Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, and that beginning today he’s targeting marketing and broadcast partners as well as advertisers in an effort to pressure the league into imposing a punishment.

The NBA pledged to investigate “extraordinarily quickly” a recording on which, according to website TMZ, Sterling told his girlfriend he didn’t want her to bring black people to his games after she posted a photo of herself with Hall-of-Famer Magic Johnson on Instagram.

“I’m totally outraged that they are stalling on this,” Sharpton, president of the National Action Network, said in a telephone interview. “It does not take an investigation. Either he is the man on the tape or not. And he has not said unequivocally that he is not.”

Sharpton said he hasn’t spoken with Silver, who took over for Commissioner David Stern on Feb. 1. He has spoken with Johnson, a part owner of baseball’s Los Angeles Dodgers who during ABC’s playoff pregame show said Sterling “shouldn’t own a team anymore.”

Sharpton agrees, saying he wants the league to insist that Sterling sell the club.

“If this man is not penalized and dealt with we are then saying that in official mainstream sports in America that racism and bigotry is acceptable and excusable,” Sharpton said. “At this point we’re calling for his removal. If something else is possible they’ve got to put it on the table. They’ve put nothing on the table but some claim we’re going to investigate. What is there to investigate? Either it’s his voice or not, and no one has said it’s not.”

Silver said in a statement that “All members of the NBA family should be afforded due process and a fair opportunity to present their side of any controversy. The core of the investigation is understanding whether the tape is authentic, interviewing Mr. Sterling and interviewing the woman as well and understanding the context in which it was recorded.”

The Clippers and Golden State Warriors are tied two games apiece in their best-of-seven first-round playoff series. Game 5 is Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Clippers President Andy Roeser said the team doesn’t yet know if the audio is legitimate or has been altered. “We do know that the woman on the tape -- who we believe released it to TMZ -- is the defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would ‘‘get even,’’’ Roeser said. ‘‘Mr. Sterling is emphatic that what is reflected on that recording is not consistent with, nor does it reflect his views, beliefs or feelings.’’

Sharpton wouldn’t say which companies or networks he intends to contact. Walt Disney Co.’s ABC and ESPN are NBA broadcast partners. Staples Inc. has its name on the downtown Los Angeles arena the Clippers share with basketball’s Lakers and hockey’s Kings. The NBA’s marketing partners include Coca- Cola Co., Anheuser-Busch InBev NV, Adidas AG, Nike Inc., American Express Co. and State Farm Life Insurance Co., which uses Clippers All-Star and NBA Players Association President Chris Paul in its advertising.

‘‘You’re dealing with major corporations that have stockholders, that have to deal with municipal, state and federal governments that don’t want to have their business complicated on why they’re investing in a business with a guy who would say something like this,” Sharpton said, adding that he plans to organize rallies in Los Angeles and New York. “When you start hearing from corporations that have stockholders and boards of directors, they will have to deal with different options.”

The NBA under Stern was often recognized for its commitment to diversity and inclusion.

Among those who have admonished or lambasted the words attributed to Sterling are President Barack Obama, Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan and the Miami Heat’s LeBron James.

“This is not about an apology and a check. This is about making it real clear that we cannot tolerate this for a moment in the NBA,” Sharpton said. “It’s not about meeting and talking. It’s about seeing some action.”

Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »

Offline flowers

Re: Al Sharpton Taking Aim at NBA's Business Partners Over Sterling
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 03:02:31 pm »
Watching this news item on CNN last night was something else.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »
“This is not about an apology and a check. This is about making it real clear that we cannot tolerate this for a moment in the NBA,” Sharpton said.
Why the NBA? Is Mr. Sharpton attempting to imply that the NBA is a "blacks only" league? That the Europeans and Argentinians should just pack up and go home? Do I dare note the veiled antisemitism that the Sharpton lobby has exhibited in the past (buddy Jesse Jackson's infamous Hymietown remarks, for one)?

As I said in another thread, this looks like a classic Sharpton Shakedown. The NBA is looking to find a team to put in Seattle, for one, without losing another market. Perhaps they think by running another one of these, they can give Sterling the ol' Margie Schott and force him to sell. (Magic Johnson, mind you, is a big wheeler-and-dealer in sports and entertainment investment.) With the Clippers sharing a market and arena with the more prestigious Lakers, they would seem to be the ideal candidate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 04:59:07 pm »
Why the NBA? Is Mr. Sharpton attempting to imply that the NBA is a "blacks only" league? That the Europeans and Argentinians should just pack up and go home? Do I dare note the veiled antisemitism that the Sharpton lobby has exhibited in the past (buddy Jesse Jackson's infamous Hymietown remarks, for one)?

As I said in another thread, this looks like a classic Sharpton Shakedown. The NBA is looking to find a team to put in Seattle, for one, without losing another market. Perhaps they think by running another one of these, they can give Sterling the ol' Margie Schott and force him to sell. (Magic Johnson, mind you, is a big wheeler-and-dealer in sports and entertainment investment.) With the Clippers sharing a market and arena with the more prestigious Lakers, they would seem to be the ideal candidate.

Just heard it mentioned on the sports radio that Magic Johnson is interested in purchasing the Clippers...

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »
The cockroach analogy holds here, I think.  You see one out in the open, there are twenty more behind the wall. It is just starting for Sterling.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 05:48:34 pm »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn