Author Topic: So long, net neutrality? FCC to propose new pay-for-preferential treatment rules  (Read 324 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2147600/fcc-will-seek-input-on-latest-net-neutrality-proposal.html

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will take public comments before moving forward with a new set of net neutrality rules that sparked controversy when they were leaked in a news report earlier Wednesday.

The FCC will release a proposal soon to reinstate net neutrality rules that would allow broadband providers to negotiate with content providers for preferential treatment, an agency official confirmed Wednesday.

Some digital rights groups called the pay-for-priority proposal, reported earlier in a Wall Street Journal article, the death of net neutrality at the FCC.

But the FCC, in an upcoming meeting, will vote on whether to open the net neutrality proposal up to public comments, though the plan is not finalized, the agency official said.

Under the proposal, “broadband providers would be required to offer a baseline level of service to their subscribers, along with the ability to enter into individual negotiations with content providers,” the official said by email. “In all instances, broadband providers would need to act in a commercially reasonable manner subject to [FCC] review on a case-by-case basis.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The FCC is glaring at the EPA in indignation and angling for a bigger slice of the budget pie. The "case by case" line is the tip off.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Who says the OPapaDoc administration is not for sale?

I don't oppose getting rid of net neutrality, necessarily, but this is a reminder that the Internet is one big government-created oligopoly, and like all regulated industries it means the big players (in this case Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and the other ISP's) can buy influence.  Getting rid of net neutrality should be a reminder to everyone that government regulation does not exist to "protect" the public, but to empower the establishment.

Once the micro-economy of an industry is controlled, that's when they hose the consumer.  Look at education.  And if you like the price of tuition, wait a few years until the real cost of government health care becomes apparent.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:24:04 pm by massadvj »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
In 2007 Obama promised net neutrality.  :silly:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates