Author Topic: Son: George H.W. Bush wants Jeb to run  (Read 2130 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Son: George H.W. Bush wants Jeb to run
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:21 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=747D22AD-C343-4DDD-B6DA-9EBDEA641081

Son: George H.W. Bush wants Jeb to run
By: Maggie Haberman
April 24, 2014 09:43 PM EDT

Barbara Bush may believe her son Jeb should pass on a 2016 bid because there have been enough Bushes in the White House already. But her husband, former President George H.W. Bush, disagrees and thinks Jeb should go for it.

So revealed Jeb’s younger brother, Neil Bush, in an interview with CNN on Thursday that shed additional light on the conflicting sentiments within the former first clan about another potential Bush presidential run. Neil Bush spoke about his father’s desire to see another son seek the White House and said Barbara Bush’s cautionary words won’t affect Jeb Bush’s decision.

The comments from Neil Bush came amid feverish speculation about what the former Florida governor will do and were among the most candid, on-the-record assessments from someone inside the close-knit family.

Neil Bush described the reaction from his family when his mom said ahead of an event at the George W. Bush presidential library in Texas that there had been “enough Bushes” in the White House.

“We’re sitting in the waiting room of the hotel waiting to go to the Bush library event, and mom said that, we were all watching Jeb standing over in the corner nervously, just, like, what’s your response to that?” Neil Bush, an investor, said. “But it’s not going to affect Jeb’s decision. If you ask dad, if you ask dad the same question, should Jeb run? He’d say yes.”

When CNN chief political analyst Gloria Borger asked if he’d asked his dad that, Neil Bush replied, “I’ve heard him answer that question.”

Neil Bush also insisted that the Bush “name and brand to me shouldn’t be a handicap.”

“So it’s not like it’s automatically a benefit to have a famous name, but it clearly gets Jeb off the starting blocks much quicker,” he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Son: George H.W. Bush wants Jeb to run
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:45:34 pm »
Me too.....if only for the entertainment.     :whistle: 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:46:27 pm »
Two too many presidents have already come forth from Bush loins.  Jeb might be better than the first two, but I'd just as soon he did not run.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:47:26 pm by massadvj »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:58:24 pm »
Two too many presidents have already come forth from Bush loins.  Jeb might be better than the first two, but I'd just as soon he did not run.

Running and being the Nominee of the Party are two different things to me.   I would like to hear Jeb speak about the issues unfiltered.

He may just be that proverbial pony in that dirty stall we're all 'looking' for.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:04:41 pm »
A lot of the rest of us don't.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »
Running and being the Nominee of the Party are two different things to me.   I would like to hear Jeb speak about the issues unfiltered.

He may just be that proverbial pony in that dirty stall we're all 'looking' for.

Agreed. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »
I don't know.  There wasn't any problem with a shitload of Kennedy's was there?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:11:42 pm »
I don't know.  There wasn't any problem with a shitload of Kennedy's was there?

There wasn't?  There was as far as I am concerned!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »
There wasn't?  There was as far as I am concerned!

Lamestreamers had Kennedygasms. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:49:30 pm »
Lamestreamers had Kennedygasms.

Still do... **nononono*

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 04:56:14 pm »
Bush is the democrat's perfect candidate.  He will alienate the Conservative base, repel the non-interventionist Republicans, and remind everyone of Bush II's fiascos.   The last thing we need is another country-club Republican, promoting amnesty and bellowing out neocon propaganda.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 04:57:19 pm »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:53 pm »
Bush is the democrat's perfect candidate.  He will alienate the Conservative base, repel the non-interventionist Republicans, and remind everyone of Bush II's fiascos.   The last thing we need is another country-club Republican, promoting amnesty and bellowing out neocon propaganda.

Well...to be frank, almost anyone with a chance at beating Hillary will alienate the alleged "conservative base".  As for immigration reform, I'm not sure how that would be a negative for Bush in a general election.  I do believe anyone who runs in 2016 will distance himself/herself from promotion of yet more foreign military adventures, regardless of what rhetoric they may be using today.  Whether one might personally favor Bush or not, he is one of the few potential candidates who can appeal to moderates of both parties as well as various shades of independent.  I doubt Hillary would like to see him in the Fall of 2016. 

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 07:20:27 pm »
Well...to be frank, almost anyone with a chance at beating Hillary will alienate the alleged "conservative base".  As for immigration reform, I'm not sure how that would be a negative for Bush in a general election.  I do believe anyone who runs in 2016 will distance himself/herself from promotion of yet more foreign military adventures, regardless of what rhetoric they may be using today.  Whether one might personally favor Bush or not, he is one of the few potential candidates who can appeal to moderates of both parties as well as various shades of independent.  I doubt Hillary would like to see him in the Fall of 2016.

Any GOP candidate that enthusiastically endorses Immigration reform, better known as Amnesty, will cause many true Conservatives to vote third party or stay home.   (What good are any of the Conservative issues if Amnesty is passed and a horde of democrat voters is subsequently assured to institute Marxism in the future?)  Moderates in the party tend to be less enthusiastic than the ideologues and without the core enthused, look for a lackluster turnout.  For independents, fair or unfair, the legacy of Bush II will shroud Bush III.  Bush II remains a very unpopular President.  Bush III will bear the neocon mantle as his brother did and likely will engage in neocon rhetoric, causing independent and especially youthful voters to vote democrat.  Finally, many Americans abhor political dynasties, particularly when they come from privileged, elite families and the suitor obviously is not someone who pulled himself up by his boot straps.     Combine an unenthusiastic base, a foreign policy repugnant to American voters, and the pathetic legacy shrouded upon him by his brother, and you have the quintessential candidate made for democrat victory. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »
Any GOP candidate that enthusiastically endorses Immigration reform, better known as Amnesty, will cause many true Conservatives to vote third party or stay home.   (What good are any of the Conservative issues if Amnesty is passed and a horde of democrat voters is subsequently assured to institute Marxism in the future?)  Moderates in the party tend to be less enthusiastic than the ideologues and without the core enthused, look for a lackluster turnout.  For independents, fair or unfair, the legacy of Bush II will shroud Bush III.  Bush II remains a very unpopular President.  Bush III will bear the neocon mantle as his brother did and likely will engage in neocon rhetoric, causing independent and especially youthful voters to vote democrat.  Finally, many Americans abhor political dynasties, particularly when they come from privileged, elite families and the suitor obviously is not someone who pulled himself up by his boot straps.     Combine an unenthusiastic base, a foreign policy repugnant to American voters, and the pathetic legacy shrouded upon him by his brother, and you have the quintessential candidate made for democrat victory.

A few comments MBB.  Please don't take this personally, but IMO, many "true conservatives" miss out on the essence of true conservatism, an ideology that spans over two centuries and survives despite repeated attempts to redefine it.  Those who would vote third party or stay home and invite yet another leftist administration to lead our Nation because the GOP candidate hasn't signed enough pledges may be politically involved, but are hardly conservative.

To some, providing a path to legalization for even one illegal regardless of any other favorable provisions that would strengthen the borders, toughen up employer mandates, end chain migration, and revise other parts of the immigration law is simply unforgivable.  To most Americans it makes perfect sense as almost every poll shows.

If you follow any of the liberal forums at all, you can see that for a long time, the liberal base has been unhappy with Obama, believing him to have given up on the issues of importance to them.  Yet in the end, they stuck with him, just as they'll stick with Hillary even though they want someone more like themselves such as Pocahontas (Elizabeth Warren).

The time for ideologues to act is during the primary season.  The time to come together is during the general election.  I'm not suggesting that Jeb Bush is the ideal candidate.  But he is one of only a handful I see right now that would give Hillary a run for her money. 

The candidate whoever that is will and must disavow the neoconservatism that has dominated the GOP since the Cold War days.  The combination of Obama's disastrous foreign policy, our misled, if well intentioned efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan have soured most Americans on military adventures at least for a while.  But we cannot pull back from the rest of the world and repeat the mistakes of the 1930s.  That will be the foreign policy challenge for the candidates.

And finally, Americans may abhor political dynasties.  They just don't vote like that going all the way back to Adams.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 10:03:47 pm »

I believe that Jeb Bush has already said quite enough as it is. He really needs to STFU and disappear.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:15 pm »

:thumbsup:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 10:39:44 pm »

I don't think it's the conservative end of the GOP we need to worry about; I think it's the middle of the roaders, the so-called "independents", and the non-aligned moderates we need to worry about, and a lot of them are turned off by the thought of another Bush in the White House.  For better or worse, many of them do not feel GWB did a very good job - a point that has merit to it - and they do feel that his administration was too gung-ho about getting us into Iraq and Afghanistan the way he did - with neo-con visions of nation-building - and also just do not like the idea of a dynastic presidency.

That is why I think Rand Paul deserves some consideration, if for no other reason than to cherry-pick from his playbook, because he does seem to be better at speaking to moderates, indies, and squishies who are disappointed in, and tired of, Obama and the top democrat leadership, but who are wary of republicans who seem to be fulfilling the democrats' worst description of republicans by being strident and anti- (anti-this, anti-that) without pausing to offer something positive that appeals to more than just the narrow base.

Honestly, I know that politicians generally try to keep their base pumped up for elections, which is generally done by pandering to the base; however, given the polarization in today's politics I don't think the core base of the GOP really needs to be coddled, seduced and pandered to; I think it's the, shall we say, non-traditional potential republicans - the non-aligned moderates - who have to be seduced this time around.  Mind you, the base cannot simply be ignored, but the fact remains that for the 2014 and 2016 elections the traditional GOP base is not going to abandon the GOP en masse just because the wooing wasn't seductive enough.  There are, certainly, conservatives who will sit on their hands this time around and in 2016 because the GOP's nominees won't be pure enough, but that group is relatively small and I think that most will hold their noses and vote for the GOP because they will ultimately realize that if they don't vote for the GOP they might as well have cast a vote for the DNC.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 10:43:20 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the logic that got us Bob Dole, George W. Bush, John McCain and Mitt Romney.  Like the logic of liberalism, it never dies in spite of the mountain of evidence against it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 10:45:09 pm »

Here are the questions about Jeb Bush that need to be answered by him:  Is he the President best able and most willing to reverse our national course and return us to a Constitutional Republic with fiscal restraint?  Is he the President most willing and able to return us to a position of international respect and power?

I'm pretty close to checking the "no" box for both questions.  Proverbial ponies be damned.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:02 pm »
A few comments MBB.  Please don't take this personally, but IMO, many "true conservatives" miss out on the essence of true conservatism, an ideology that spans over two centuries and survives despite repeated attempts to redefine it.  Those who would vote third party or stay home and invite yet another leftist administration to lead our Nation because the GOP candidate hasn't signed enough pledges may be politically involved, but are hardly conservative.

To some, providing a path to legalization for even one illegal regardless of any other favorable provisions that would strengthen the borders, toughen up employer mandates, end chain migration, and revise other parts of the immigration law is simply unforgivable.  To most Americans it makes perfect sense as almost every poll shows.

If you follow any of the liberal forums at all, you can see that for a long time, the liberal base has been unhappy with Obama, believing him to have given up on the issues of importance to them.  Yet in the end, they stuck with him, just as they'll stick with Hillary even though they want someone more like themselves such as Pocahontas (Elizabeth Warren).

The time for ideologues to act is during the primary season.  The time to come together is during the general election.  I'm not suggesting that Jeb Bush is the ideal candidate.  But he is one of only a handful I see right now that would give Hillary a run for her money. 

The candidate whoever that is will and must disavow the neoconservatism that has dominated the GOP since the Cold War days.  The combination of Obama's disastrous foreign policy, our misled, if well intentioned efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan have soured most Americans on military adventures at least for a while.  But we cannot pull back from the rest of the world and repeat the mistakes of the 1930s.  That will be the foreign policy challenge for the candidates.

And finally, Americans may abhor political dynasties.  They just don't vote like that going all the way back to Adams.

I agree with the first part, but I have to disagree with the second.  I do not believe that Jeb Bush could succeed against the democrat nominee in 2016.  Romney is a good example.  He was in many respects a really good nominee:  he had fairly centrist views on many issues - after all, he did invent Romneycare in Massachusetts - he had already proven himself a capable executive as governor of that state, and he had the business and financial experience needed to start getting this country turned around - experience he had used to good effect in Massachusetts - and yet he lost to an Obama who was already looking rather thread-bare.  Putting aside issues of electoral fraud and vote-stealing by democrats, I think he lost because, essentially, he wasn't able to reach out to the non-aligned moderates, many of whom rightly or wrongly felt that they were part of the "47%" Romney disparaged at that private meeting.

Jeb Bush suffers from similar issues.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 11:35:12 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the logic that got us Bob Dole, George W. Bush, John McCain and Mitt Romney.  Like the logic of liberalism, it never dies in spite of the mountain of evidence against it.

Which part, immigration reform or averting foreign military adventures?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 11:38:47 pm »
goopo
There you have it, in a nutshell!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:56 pm »

That's right, if the GOPe pushes out another candidate that forces us to strain to see a dime's worth of difference from the opponent, we'll see the same results...

Offline Howie66

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 11:57:10 pm »

Exactly and precisely.