Author Topic: The New York Times on the upcoming Senate race  (Read 172 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pjohns

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 467
The New York Times on the upcoming Senate race
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »
Not long ago, Nate Silver was disfellowshipped from The Church of Leftist Orthodoxy for having made the (heretical!) observation that Republicans have a 60 percent chance of retaking control of the Senate in November.

The New York Times, however, now has a slightly different perspective:  It gives the GOP just a 49 percent chance of winning back control of the Senate, with Democrats having a 51 percent chance of retaining control.

It all comes down to eight competitive races, according to the NYT; and one of these races can probably be given to the Democrat (Colorado), on which the race has a 70 percent chance of going blue, according to the survey.  On the other hand, two other races can probably be given to the Republican candidates (a 74 percent chance in Georgia and an 82 percent chance in Kentucky, according to the survey).  This leaves the five tossup states of Arkansas, Michigan, North Carolina, Alaska, and Louisiana.  And a pickup of just five seats--even if the GOP were to sweep these races--would not be quite enough.  However, the GOP stands excellent chances of making gains in the open seats (being vacated by incumbent Democrats) in South Dakota and West Virginia; albeit less of a chance in Iowa. 

Anyway, here is a link to the article:  Who Will Win The Senate? ? The Upshot Senate Forecasts ?

Offline Chieftain

  • Hero Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 9,633
  • Your what hurts??
Re: The New York Times on the upcoming Senate race
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:35:42 PM »
yep...and guys like Marco Rubio are going to be Senior Senators once the bloody guts are kicked out of the middle of the floor.  That's why it is so important for him to stay put and take control of the Senate.  There is important work for him to be done there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo