Author Topic: Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes 2 pro-gun bills  (Read 2154 times)

Offline flowers

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes 2 pro-gun bills
« on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:59 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/22/brewer-vetoes-2-gun-bills/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

PHOENIX (AP) - To the surprise of the bill’s sponsor, Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a bill Tuesday that that would have allowed concealed-carry permit holders to take their guns into government buildings.

Rep. Brenda Barton, R-Payson, said she was disappointed and surprised because she believes she addressed many of the issues that the governor had with a similar bill during a prior legislative session. But Brewer stated in her veto letter that the new bill still did not meet concerns she had with similar legislation in the 2011 and 2012 sessions.

House Bill 2339 would have allowed people with concealed-carry permits to bring weapons into government buildings unless security measures - including armed guards, metal detectors and gun lockers - are in place. The measure excluded public K-12 schools, community colleges and universities.

“I am a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, and I have signed into law numerous pieces of legislation to advance and protect gun rights. However, I cannot support this measure in its proposed form,” Brewer wrote.

Oceander

Re: Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes 2 pro-gun bills
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:02 pm »
I honestly do not think it's a good idea to allow weapons into government buildings, particularly not concealed weapons.  taking weapons into the dmv might seem innocuous enough, but all it would take is one disgruntled taxpayer walking into a local tax agency office for disaster to strike.  The number of government workers should be cut, not cut down.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:02:26 pm »
Right, there will be blood in the streets (or DMV). Responsible, law abiding gun owners can't control themselves.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:25:52 pm »
Right, there will be blood in the streets (or DMV). Responsible, law abiding gun owners can't control themselves.

Damned right! /sarc
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:32:53 pm »
Damned right! /sarc

If we can save just one life it will be worth it.........besides, who needs guns besides cops anyhow......

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:22 am »

Well - the DMV is a little tempting.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink