Author Topic: NBC orders psychological testing for David Gregory  (Read 585 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
NBC orders psychological testing for David Gregory
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:17 am »
http://pagesix.com/2014/04/21/david-gregory-undergoes-psychological-evaluation-to-combat-low-ratings/?_ga=1.62585900.1071046295.1335384821

by Emily Smith
April 21, 2014

NBC’s “Meet the Press” has fallen to such ratings lows that network brass ordered psychological research of the host David Gregory and his family, in a bid to make him more likable.

Friends of Gregory and even his wife were interviewed by a psychologist commissioned by NBC to find out how the host of the flagship Sunday morning show might relate to audiences better.

The Washington Post reported, “Last year, the network undertook an unusual assessment of the 43-year-old journalist, commissioning a psychological consultant to interview his friends and even his wife.

“The idea, according to a network spokeswoman, Meghan Pianta, was ‘to get perspective and insight from people who know him best.’ But the research project struck some at NBC as odd, given that Gregory has been employed there for nearly 20 years.”

The days of “Meet the Press” ruling Sunday mornings seem a long time ago — now it is in third place. During the first three months of this year, the NBC program finished behind rivals “Face the Nation” on CBS and “This Week With George Stephanopoulos” on ABC. In the final quarter of last year, viewing of “MTP” among people ages 25 to 54, the preferred group for TV news advertisers, fell to its lowest level ever.

“I get it,” Gregory told the Washington Post, “Do I want to be number one in the ratings? Every week I want to be number one, and we fight like hell to get there. And it’s tough right now. It’s a fight.”

He adds, “I’m not just trying to sell you — well, I am trying to sell you — but I’m not going to B.S. you, either. Yeah, it’s hard. I see what our challenges are. But we’re going to fix our problems.”

Meanwhile, sources told Page Six that NBC had commissioned audience tests of other replacement hosts, including NBC political director and chief White House corespondent Chuck Todd, who we are told scored even less favorably than Gregory.

But, as the Washington Post points out, the impossible burden for Gregory has been to follow the beloved Tim Russert. It reported, “As one NBC colleague describes it, Russert is a ‘ghost’ who still haunts Gregory’s tenure at ‘MTP’ six years into his run.”

“I am fully aware that there are a lot of people who believe Tim Russert will never be replaced, and I’ve never tried to replace Tim Russert,” Gregory said. “I have nothing but respect and admiration for Tim and his legacy. And I’m doing my own thing, just like Tim did.”

An NBC spokesperson told Page Six, “Last year ‘Meet the Press’ brought in a brand consultant — not, as reported, a psychological one — to better understand how its anchor connects, and they all have their own methods for doing that. This is certainly not unusual for any television program, especially one that’s based on one person. It is absolutely false that any audience research has been done on an alternative host.”
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

Re: NBC orders psychological testing for David Gregory
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:59 am »
There is some big catch here somewhere.  If the network released actual information that Gregory is getting psychological testing, they would open themselves to a monstrous lawsuit for releasing such medical/psychological/personal information.  If Gregory signed a release allowing them to say it, then it is a ploy to gain "sympathetic" viewership, people coming to the rescue of the underdog newsperson.  Or it is a ploy by NBC to try and ascertain what the actual viewership interest is by checking responses at certain websites. :pondering:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:36:49 am by rangerrebew »

Offline evadR

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:48 am »
I DO smell a rat.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:37 pm »
The MSNBC side of the operation probably is in greater need of psychological help.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:36 pm »
The Washington Post online scrubbed the article....so it's only available in print.

Threats of a lawsuit will do that to you.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:32:28 pm »
I once sent David Gregory a tube of Desitin to help him with his diaper rash.....

I still smile when I think about it.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:08:00 pm »
I once sent David Gregory a tube of Desitin to help him with his diaper rash.....

:bigsilly:

rangerrebew

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 07:30:30 pm »

Obviously, it didn't work.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:57 pm »
Obviously, it didn't work.

And I never got a thank you note from him either........ 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024