Author Topic: Obama, Holder Looking into Pardon of 'Perhaps Thousands' of Criminals  (Read 581 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/04/21/Obama-Plans-Pardons-of-Hundreds-Perhaps-Thousands-of-Drug-Criminals

by Charlie Spiering 21 Apr 2014, 8:11 AM PDT

President Obama wants to expand the executive pardon system, according to a new report from Liz Goodwin of Yahoo News.

A senior administration official told Goodwin that the President could grant clemency to "hundreds, perhaps thousands" of non-violent drug criminals.

Additionally, Goodwin wrote that Obama has spent time during his second term examining the Office of the Pardon Attorney in the Department of Justice, working with Eric Holder to devise a system more capable of handling large numbers of pardon requests. Holder has already composed a memo describing a “more robust use of the pardon power” as part of Obama’s effort to reform the criminal justice system.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Just no.

Pardoning should be the prerogative of the Governor of the state. The only people the President should be permitted to pardon are federal officials.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

He can do as he pleases. No one has the will, nor the guts to stop him.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Just no.

Pardoning should be the prerogative of the Governor of the state. The only people the President should be permitted to pardon are federal officials.

The Constitution grants the President unlimited power to pardon. 

Oceander

The president cannot pardon people convicted under a state's criminal law; from the horse's (i.e., Holder's DOJ) mouth, courtesy of the Office of the Pardon Attorney:

2. Federal convictions only

Under the Constitution, only federal criminal convictions, such as those adjudicated in the United States District Courts, may be pardoned by the President. In addition, the President's pardon power extends to convictions adjudicated in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and military court-martial proceedings. However, the President cannot pardon a state criminal offense. Accordingly, if you are seeking clemency for a state criminal conviction, you should not complete and submit this petition. Instead, you should contact the Governor or other appropriate authorities of the state where you reside or where the conviction occurred (such as the state board of pardons and paroles) to determine whether any relief is available to you under state law. If you have a federal conviction, information about the conviction may be obtained from the clerk of the federal court where you were convicted.
(Emphasis mine)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Oceander wrote above:
[[ The president cannot pardon people convicted under a state's criminal law ]]

Prediction:
Watch him try to do it anyway.
And then dare anyone to stop him.
And then accuse anyone who -does- try to stop him as being a "racist"...

Offline evadR

And people wonder why we have lost faith in this lawless government.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

The power to pardon is one of the least limited powers granted to the President in the Constitution. The only limits mentioned in the Constitution are that pardons are limited to offenses against the United States (i.e., not civil or state cases), and that they cannot affect an impeachment process.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The power to pardon is one of the least limited powers granted to the President in the Constitution. The only limits mentioned in the Constitution are that pardons are limited to offenses against the United States (i.e., not civil or state cases), and that they cannot affect an impeachment process.

When has something being unConstitutional ever stopped him? 

Offline evadR

I rather doubt the warden of the state prison in which such a person resides will simply let the pardonee walk.
Somebody, somewhere, anywhere, has to take a stand against this lawlessness.
I feel the tipping point coming.

Offline evadR

When has something being unConstitutional ever stopped him?
True dat.

I M P E A C H A B L E

Yeah, I know, it won't happen.

Oceander

Lu-lu Bell Obama can pardon whomever he pleases, but no state warden is going to let a prisoner convicted of state crimes free because of that and no state court is going to lift a state-law convict's civil disabilities because of that, and won't seal his or her case.