Author Topic: Democrat: Obamacare Will Bury Democrats in 2014  (Read 1117 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrat: Obamacare Will Bury Democrats in 2014
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:22:37 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/04/20/Democrat-Obamacare-Will-Bury-Democrats-in-2014

by Wynton Hall 20 Apr 2014

Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-MA) told the Boston Herald last week Obamacare will cost Democrats dearly in the upcoming midterm elections.

"We will lose seats in the House," said Lynch. "And I think we may lose the Senate. I think that's a possibility if things continue to go the way they have been... primarily because of health care."

Lynch added, "There's all these taxes and fees that are the tough medicine, that up to now they haven't implemented. I don't know who's going to do that. Maybe... they expect the next administration is going to put these penalties in place. I think that's the time it's going to hit the fan."

Lynch is not alone in fearing what Obamacare will mean for vulnerable Democrats. One Democratic member of Congress told the New York Times that President Barack Obama and his unpopular Obamacare program have become "poisonous" for Democrats running in the Nov. 4 midterm elections. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (D-HI) says voters in her district are "frustrated and embarrassed" by her state's busted Obamacare program, which cost taxpayers $204 million and only signed up 8,000 individuals.

On Saturday, the New York Times reported that Democrats are now scrambling to distance themselves from the unpopular Obamacare program.

"Even as Mr. Obama announced that eight million Americans had enrolled in the program and urged Democrats to embrace the law, those in his party are running from it rather than on it," reported the Times.

According to the RealClearPolitics average of polls, after four years of Obamacare, fewer than 40% of Americans now support the health care overhaul.

Obamacare's impact on Democrats will be known in 198 days when voters head to the polls.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: Democrat: Obamacare Will Bury Democrats in 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »
Hope she's right, but strengthening of the GOP for the elections depends mostly on two issues.  First is whether or not Republicans can unite, given the current political differences between the main stream (moneyed) segment of the Party and the groups farther to the right.  Second of course is whether Dems can once again be successful with their campaign of GOP wars on race, gender and the poor. 

Since the Democrats have no success stories to taut, I'm guessing they'll go with what got 'em here in 2012...fear of Republicans.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:04:59 pm »
Hope she's right, but strengthening of the GOP for the elections depends mostly on two issues.  First is whether or not Republicans can unite, given the current political differences between the main stream (moneyed) segment of the Party and the groups farther to the right.  Second of course is whether Dems can once again be successful with their campaign of GOP wars on race, gender and the poor. 

Since the Democrats have no success stories to taut, I'm guessing they'll go with what got 'em here in 2012...fear of Republicans.

A few weeks ago I was having dinner with some friends when the subject of increasing gas prices came up.

My friends are a well-educated, bright career couple who are somewhat apolitical and drift all over the place on issues.

I began talking about the relative cost of money as it related to the Federal Reserve Board's current policies, the depreciation of the dollar as a result of excessive printing and how printed money (money created out of thin air) steals value from money in current circulation as soon as it hits the money supply, and that as a result of all those factors, the people selling us crude simply wanted more little green pieces of paper bearing the likeness of dead ex-Presidents in exchange for their product. Then I noticed the glazed look in everyone's eyes, INCLUDING my wife's (another intelligent educated individual) so I stopped talking.

We finished dinner and left.

Here's what I KNOW FOR A FACT and what I think I learned from that exchange.

People, even intelligent people, are losing the ability to hold complex thoughts and reason things through. By and large, people are replacing (or have already replaced) reason with emotion, and visceral reactions are the norm where logic and understanding used to reign.

Had I simple said that gas prices were going up because _______ (fill in your particular boogeyman. Leftists fill in "greedy corporations/CEO's/the Koch brothers, etc, right wingers fill in unions/government/ - which happens to be the correct answer - the EPA, etc) wanted more money and didn't give a shit about "the little people", everyone at the table would have seen me as a wise man who understood the issue, IRRESPECTIVE of what entity I filled that blank with.

Sound bites and headline news have destroyed our intelligence, and how we vote is now decided almost completely by an emotional reaction to pushed buttons by either side of the political ideofence.

We are so screwed.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:14:10 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:43:35 pm »

Sound bites and headline news have destroyed our intelligence, and how we vote is now decided almost completely by an emotional reaction to pushed buttons by either side of the political ideofence.

Therefore we cluster on forums and sites, according to our associations, and largely drink whatever koolaid is served there. Left and right. Usually with little more depth than reciting what others put forth.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »

:thumbsup:

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:49:17 pm »
Therefore we cluster on forums and sites, according to our associations, and largely drink whatever koolaid is served there. Left and right. Usually with little more depth than reciting what others put forth.

awww; c'mon, give yourself some more credit than that.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:54:02 pm »
Wish I could disagree with you Luis.  But you're right of course.  It's more and more difficult to find any issue that has simple solutions.  But for most they invariably boil down to a right or left "simple" political explanation.  And of course the media is leading the charge to this over-simplification.  There's almost no issue that can be talked about even with those on your own side of the aisle, never mind the other side.  The last reasonable effort I saw was the Simpson/Bowles Commission report...and even that couldn't get enough votes.  And of course, Obama ignored it. 

Now back to the GOP wars on blacks, Hispanics, women, gays, the poor, the environment, etc.  Lot simpler.

Yeah, we're screwed!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 05:11:44 pm »

Yep.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:30:56 pm »
We are so screwed.

Which is why obamacare is actually a winner for Dems. Most I talk to, have the view that healthcare is a right, even if they resist wording it that way.

And who doesn't want everyone to be taken care of?!

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 05:37:25 pm »
On the 30th day after the election, those buried will rise from their graves and join the millions of others, also risen from their graves, to vote. :whistle:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »
Which is why obamacare is actually a winner for Dems. Most I talk to, have the view that healthcare is a right, even if they resist wording it that way.

And who doesn't want everyone to be taken care of?!

One of the most basic differences between right and left mentality is how teach side views laws and government programs.

The left evaluates the worth of a law or program based on the intent of it, while the right bases their opinions on the effectiveness and cost of it. Since cost never seems to concern the left, any failure of any program will always be attributed to the fact that it needs more money thrown at it in order for it to work, irrespective of how much money has already been spent.

At the end of the most intense debate that I ever had with progressive members of my family in the time immediately preceding the passing of the ACA, just as I had them backed into a corner with the facts and figures showing why Obamacare would be the disaster that it is, their attack shifted to "why are you so mean-spirited? Why do you resent children having medical coverage?" and such.

The entire debate went down in facebook, and didn't end well.

It didn't end well at all.

I told one individual that if the day came when the situation became so bad in the country that civil war erupted between right and left as a result of all the left's push toward Communism. I would hunt him down and take him out, even if he was the only person I got to take out during the war.

We haven't spoken since.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 06:32:03 pm »
One of the most basic differences between right and left mentality is how teach side views laws and government programs.

The left evaluates the worth of a law or program based on the intent of it, while the right bases their opinions on the effectiveness and cost of it. Since cost never seems to concern the left, any failure of any program will always be attributed to the fact that it needs more money thrown at it in order for it to work, irrespective of how much money has already been spent.

At the end of the most intense debate that I ever had with progressive members of my family in the time immediately preceding the passing of the ACA, just as I had them backed into a corner with the facts and figures showing why Obamacare would be the disaster that it is, their attack shifted to "why are you so mean-spirited? Why do you resent children having medical coverage?" and such.

The entire debate went down in facebook, and didn't end well.

It didn't end well at all.

I told one individual that if the day came when the situation became so bad in the country that civil war erupted between right and left as a result of all the left's push toward Communism. I would hunt him down and take him out, even if he was the only person I got to take out during the war.

We haven't spoken since.

woah!  and I thought my family arguments got bad.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 06:41:56 pm »

woah!  and I thought my family arguments got bad.

My mistake was putting all that down in writing on facebook.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »

I promise not to go looking for it!!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 06:59:14 pm »

Yep.  Last month my sister unfriended me, and we haven't spoken since.  She's a very far left former school teacher.  She would raise issues on FB from her political viewpoint, and of course I would respond from mine.  She closed me out by telling me I demean women.  We never once had a discussion that involved gender issues. 

I think politics in family circles can be worse than with friends and neighbors.  My family on both sides were always Democrats (Catholic working class) going back generations.  The only other Republican I have been able to find was a Republican who fought in the Civil War.  The rest of my family and I stay away from politics on FB.  And I should not have taken the bait.

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »
Yep.  Last month my sister unfriended me, and we haven't spoken since.  She's a very far left former school teacher.  She would raise issues on FB from her political viewpoint, and of course I would respond from mine.  She closed me out by telling me I demean women.  We never once had a discussion that involved gender issues. 

I think politics in family circles can be worse than with friends and neighbors.  My family on both sides were always Democrats (Catholic working class) going back generations.  The only other Republican I have been able to find was a Republican who fought in the Civil War.  The rest of my family and I stay away from politics on FB.  And I should not have taken the bait.

My brother, who I was quite close to, barely talk now. He's a lefty loony. Any discussion of politics where you disagree with him becomes a serious personal insult. He tends to get a little unhinged and spout MSNBC garbage as if it were gospel. So, now when I'm around him, it's very cordial, and usually in a distant sort of way. Although he's my older brother, I've become the adult in the room. When he starts making everything political, I just clam up, knowing that there is no win in engaging him.

I know it can be annoying, but I've accepted what's coming. I know that most of the decisions on our future are being made by people of low character, and even lower intellect, who hold great power. All I can do is enjoy my days, and protect myself as best I can.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 07:46:03 pm »

I tried following that line for years but it was, in the end, a no go! Now I tell them what I honestly think about things and the can unfriend me till the cows come home for all I care. We are getting along better than ever now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »

Demean women?

Absurd! Never once!

Deflower?

OK.

Guilty as charged.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »

Our family has one fixed rule. Never argue politics with each other. Ever. No matter the provocation of what's in the news. The only exception is for class work for the kids, and both sides get an equal time and hearing. It's prevented us killing each other for 40 years so far ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »
Our family has one fixed rule. Never argue politics with each other. Ever. No matter the provocation of what's in the news. The only exception is for class work for the kids, and both sides get an equal time and hearing. It's prevented us killing each other for 40 years so far ....

It's a good rule.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:43 pm »
People, even intelligent people, are losing the ability to hold complex thoughts and reason things through. By and large, people are replacing (or have already replaced) reason with emotion, and visceral reactions are the norm where logic and understanding used to reign.

I'm not so sure that people are losing the ability to handle complex thoughts.  My fear is that the issue is worse than that:  when it comes to government and the "gimme masses", the producers are starting to give up the fight against the looters and moochers who are using government as an instrument of plunder.  When the educated use facts to address the issues (with either educated or low-information people) all they get in return is emotion and feelings.  More facts elicit more emotion and personal attacks.  In society in general and among the low information crowd specifically, elections are approached more like choosing one's favorite on American Idol or a professional all-star team than a serious civic duty.  Critical thinking is not necessary when people view elections as popularity contests.  Low information voters won't think critically and the educated are tired of dealing with their tantrums.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".