Author Topic: Federal Court gives go-ahead for Africans to sue Nestle in U.S. over slave labor crimes  (Read 303 times)

rangerrebew

Federal Court Gives Go-Ahead for Africans to Sue Nestle in U.S. over Slave Labor Claims

21MondayApr 2014

Posted  by gemini3insane in Africa, US News, US Supreme Court, World News   

Nestle is facing allegations that it used cocoa plantations in Africa that employed slave labor.

Three residents of Mali sued Nestle USA in U.S. federal court in 2009 claiming they were forced as children to work without pay and were abused at Ivory Coast plantations that supplied Nestle with cocoa.

They brought their case to the United States and based it on the Alien Tort Statute (ATS). The plaintiffs, named as John Does, said they couldn’t get justice in the Ivory Coast due to its “notoriously corrupt” court system.

But their lawsuit, filed in a Northern California federal court, was thrown out the following year by U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson, who ruled that corporations could not be sued under the Alien Tort Statute.

The plaintiffs appealed the decision to a panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which in a 2-1 ruling, reinstated the suit.

http://theresistanceunited.com/2014/04/21/federal-court-gives-go-ahead-for-africans-to-sue-nestle-in-u-s-over-slave-labor-claims/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:41:48 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sadly, they are probably correct. Cote d'Ivoire is notorious for using child labor and slave labor on it's plantations.

I doubt they will win, yet I hope they do.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink