Author Topic: Student pro-life group denied membership to Yale's "social justice network"  (Read 476 times)

rangerrebew

Student Pro-Life Group Denied Membership to Yale’s “Social Justice Network”

Posted by Leslie Eastman    Friday, April 18, 2014 at 3:30pm

A story from Yale University shows that “Social Justice” should never be confused with the real thing.

After spending the year as a provisional member of Dwight Hall, Choose Life at Yale (CLAY) — Yale’s pro-life student organization — was denied full membership status in Dwight Hall’s Social Justice Network for the upcoming school year.

The approximately 90-member Dwight Hall Cabinet, which comprises member group leaders and executive committee members, gathered Wednesday night to vote on CLAY’s status within Dwight Hall. After deliberation, they denied the organization membership, blocking further access to Dwight Hall’s resources, including funds, cars and printing services.

“We are all obviously disappointed and frustrated with this decision, especially after having gone through this year-long provisional process,” said Christian Hernandez ’15, the president of CLAY’s Spring 2014 board.

Each full member organization of Dwight Hall is allowed one vote during cabinet meetings, according to Shea Jennings ’16, Dwight Hall’s public relations coordinator. Representatives from each organization up for a vote, including CLAY, gave a brief presentation before the cabinet voted, she added.

Jennings said that the body does not debate immediately before a vote, as Dwight Hall assumes each representative comes bearing the carefully considered views of his or her member group. Still, in the weeks leading up to the vote, she added that discussion among member groups about CLAY far exceeded that of any other organization seeking full member status this year.

“Generally what happens is in most member groups the decision is made without as much discussion,” Jennings said. “Because this was a more political decision, there was more discussion.”

The vote was not unanimous and had an unusually high proportion of abstentions, said Dwight Hall co-coordinator Sterling Johnson ’15. Multiple members of Dwight Hall’s executive committee declined to specify the exact number or breakdown of votes cast.

Still, members of CLAY present at the meeting said that members of the executive committee seemed “biased” against their organization’s pro-life stance. Courtney McEachon ’15, CLAY’s president last spring, pointed to co-coordinator Teresa Logue’s ’15 decision to wear a “Yale feminists” t-shirt to the cabinet meeting.

“It was an affront because the person wearing the t-shirt was leading the meeting,” she said. “It seemed like a shameless plug against CLAY.”

Though Logue said that she personally identifies as pro-choice, she was careful not to advocate against the group in any way.

http://collegeinsurrection.com/2014/04/student-pro-life-group-denied-membership-to-yales-social-justice-network/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:02:23 am by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

Ouch, the irony.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Typical liberals. You are free to speak, as long as you agree with me.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Events have been too gloomy to ponder lately. Growing police militarization and violence. Fedgov corruption and indifference to liberty guaranteed in the Declaration and the Constitution. University students with no connection to or appreciation of our heritage as Americans. The feeling of helplessness as the future fades to black. Even our discussions at TBR reflect a sense of the inevitability of a downward spiral. I feel myself disengaging.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The feeling of helplessness as the future fades to black. Even our discussions at TBR reflect a sense of the inevitability of a downward spiral. I feel myself disengaging.

My friend - you might take some time off. Hit up a book, or some yard work, or learn Russian. You are burning out. I'd not like to see you burn out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpqucmEA3P4
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink