Author Topic: Why ranchers support "hero" Cliven Bundy  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Why ranchers support "hero" Cliven Bundy
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »
Homestead act might be relevant here?

That would give him title to 160 acres, not 750,000 acres.

BTW... the land in question is not the land owned by Bundy. The fact that Bundy family had been paying fees to use it up to 1993, and that Bundy is willing to continue paying those fees to Clarke County, is ample evidence that Bundy claims no title to it.

If he did, he'd have to pay taxes on it.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 03:59:01 pm »
Homestead act might be relevant here?

I doubt that but can tell you for sure that the State of West Virginia was formed within the Jurisdiction of the State of Virginia  - in direct contravention of "...no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State;" - and that is the beginning of ALL of this IMHO!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:02:13 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »
That would give him title to 160 acres, not 750,000 acres.

BTW... the land in question is not the land owned by Bundy. The fact that Bundy family had been paying fees to use it up to 1993, and that Bundy is willing to continue paying those fees to Clarke County, is ample evidence that Bundy claims no title to it.

If he did, he'd have to pay taxes on it.

I am thinking more of the principle of the thing. Did he maintain the land? Yes. Did he improve the land? Yes. Did he caretake the land? Yes. Was he willing to pay taxes on the land? Yes.

It could be argued his family has the right to it under the homestead act.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 04:42:10 pm »
Well then perhaps you will be kind enough to explain to me the meaning of the words  in  Section 1. of what you quoted above. Does the word RECORDS include ALL records?

SECTION. 1. Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

It means that divorces, settled bankruptcies, marriages, all adjudications and acts of incorporation created in every State shall be recognized in every other State.

It also means that this section of the Constitution of Nevada is to be considered a settled "Public Act":

“Third. That the people inhabiting said territory do agree and declare, that they forever disclaim all right and title to the unappropriated public lands lying within said territory, and that the same shall be and remain at the sole and entire disposition of the United States; …..”

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:43:00 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 04:44:45 pm »
I doubt that but can tell you for sure that the State of West Virginia was formed within the Jurisdiction of the State of Virginia  - in direct contravention of "...no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State;" - and that is the beginning of ALL of this IMHO!

The State of Virginia was one of the States creating and ratifying the Constitution, so the verbiage applied to States created after the ratification of the Constitution.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »
I am thinking more of the principle of the thing. Did he maintain the land? Yes. Did he improve the land? Yes. Did he caretake the land? Yes. Was he willing to pay taxes on the land? Yes.

It could be argued his family has the right to it under the homestead act.

The Taylor Grazing Act lays that claim to rest.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 05:12:42 pm »
The Taylor Grazing Act lays that claim to rest.

That were 1934.

The family have held the same lands since 1919.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline evadR

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 05:25:42 pm »

Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover
‘It’s time’ » Lawmakers from 9 states gather in Utah, discuss ways to take control of federal lands.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57836973-90/utah-lands-lawmakers-federal.html.csp
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »
That were 1934.

The family have held the same lands since 1919.

The family has never "held" the land.

The title of the land in question was transferred to the United States in 1848 via the Treaty of Hidalgo, and according to the Nevada Constitution of 1864 it remained the property of the United States, so no one BUT the United States has ever "held" those lands since the lands became a part of the United States.

Laws change all the time.

Article IV, Section 3, clause 2 United States Constitution:

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States

That settles the legitimacy and Constitutionality of the Taylor Grazing Act, and any other law and/or regulation that concerns this issue.

Bundy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 07:48:05 pm »
Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover
‘It’s time’ » Lawmakers from 9 states gather in Utah, discuss ways to take control of federal lands.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57836973-90/utah-lands-lawmakers-federal.html.csp

Nevada would have to amend its Constitution to do that, and to do that, they would need the support of the people of Nevada.

The people of Nevada are the very same people who have been sending Harry Reid to Congress time and time again since 1987.

In addition, they would have to drop from their Constitution the very verbiage that made it possible for Nevada to enter the Union. That will be tricky.

I don't see it happening.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:49:10 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline evadR

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 10:46:42 pm »
Nevada would have to amend its Constitution to do that, and to do that, they would need the support of the people of Nevada.

The people of Nevada are the very same people who have been sending Harry Reid to Congress time and time again since 1987.

In addition, they would have to drop from their Constitution the very verbiage that made it possible for Nevada to enter the Union. That will be tricky.

I'm not sure who the "people of Nevada" are.
I think what keeps electing scum like dingy hairy are unions, corruption, fraud, big city LIVs and maybe a few other miscellaneous low life mf'ers.

That would have to turn around for there to be any hope for Nevada.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 11:12:36 pm »
I'm not sure who the "people of Nevada" are.
I think what keeps electing scum like dingy hairy are unions, corruption, fraud, big city LIVs and maybe a few other miscellaneous low life mf'ers.

That would have to turn around for there to be any hope for Nevada.

Nevada's REPUBLICAN governor hasn't said much about this whole ordeal, has he?

Offline evadR

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 11:14:25 pm »
Nevada's REPUBLICAN governor hasn't said much about this whole ordeal, has he?
Haven't heard a peep.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:44:15 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 11:48:25 pm »
Haven't heard a peep.

Never assume that because the MSM fails to report on something that it isn't happening!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 12:16:57 am »
Never assume that because the MSM fails to report on something that it isn't happening!

Dig a little deeper.

Sandoval's "protest" is directed at the First Amendment" zones, and nothing else.

Offline evadR

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 01:13:06 am »
Well that's true for sure.
However I will say that I don't rely on the MSM for my info so I do hope he has come out with a position that would be "encouraging".  If so, it hasn't hit my radar yet but like you say, that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I know nothing about this guy...what's his record?  Is he one of the good guys or...something else???

Offline evadR

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 01:16:30 am »
I can say that if I were a governor..
and one of my citizens was being threatened by  federal snipers and goons..
and his property being destroyed..
I'd be all over the news.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 01:22:22 am »

From Infowars, the full text of Sandoval's statement:

Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval has inserted himself into the escalating standoff between cattle rancher Cliven Bundy and federal officials by blasting the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) over their creation of a ‘First Amendment Area’ outside of which free speech is banned.

The ‘First Amendment Area’ set up by BLM agents is a crudely taped off piece of land inside which supporters of Bundy, who is engaged in a long running dispute with feds over grazing rights on a 600,000 acre expanse in northeastern Clark County, are allowed to express their free speech.

However, protesters have completely ignored the area, instead staging large demonstrations on Bundy’s ranch. The only presence inside the ‘First Amendment Area’ are signs which read “1st Amendment is not an area” and another that states, “Welcome to Amerika – Wake Up” alongside a hammer and sickle logo.

“Most disturbing to me is the BLM’s establishment of a ‘First Amendment Area’ that tramples upon Nevadans’ fundamental rights under the U.S. Constitution,” said Sandoval in a statement. “To that end, I have advised the BLM that such conduct is offensive to me and countless others and that the ‘First Amendment Area’ should be dismantled immediately.”

“No cow justifies the atmosphere of intimidation which currently exists nor the limitation of constitutional rights that are sacred to all Nevadans. The BLM needs to reconsider its approach to this matter and act accordingly,” asserted the Governor.

The Bundy family responded to Sandoval’s statement by saying they were disappointed that he didn't take a more firm stance to back them in their dispute with the BLM, but they were pleased with his sentiments regarding the ‘First Amendment Area’.

Full text:

Due to the roundup by the BLM, my office has received numerous complaints of BLM misconduct, road closures and other disturbances. I have recently met with state legislators, county officials and concerned citizens to listen to their concerns. I have expressed those concerns directly to the BLM.

Most disturbing to me is the BLM’s establishment of a “First Amendment Area” that tramples upon Nevadans’ fundamental rights under the U.S. Constitution. To that end, I have advised the BLM that such conduct is offensive to me and countless others and that the “First Amendment Area” should be dismantled immediately. No cow justifies the atmosphere of intimidation which currently exists nor the limitation of constitutional rights that are sacred to all Nevadans. The BLM needs to reconsider its approach to this matter and act accordingly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:25:03 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline evadR

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2014, 01:40:20 am »
The Bundy family responded to Sandoval’s statement by saying they were disappointed that he didn't take a more firm stance to back them in their dispute with the BLM.....

I don't see where he has taken any stance backing the Bundy's dispute.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2014, 01:47:23 am »
I don't see where he has taken any stance backing the Bundy's dispute.

Exactly.

Offline evadR

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 01:47:46 am »
This is what I would expect...

Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) on Friday called for a Senate hearing into the dispute between Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) over cattle grazing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/203913-senator-urges-hearing-on-bundy-ranch-dispute

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2014, 04:05:49 am »
This is what I would expect...

Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) on Friday called for a Senate hearing into the dispute between Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) over cattle grazing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/203913-senator-urges-hearing-on-bundy-ranch-dispute

Senate hearings?

What happened after the Fast and Furious Senate hearings?

Who has been held liable, jailed, fired?

Benghazi...

Seven Congressional hearings.

The IRS persecution of conservative groups.

Five hearings and Holly Paz was fired because she didn't notify Congress that the abuses were happening?

How about the people that were carrying out the abuses. When will they be fired?

A Senate hearing...

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2014, 04:49:39 am »
Senate hearings?

What happened after the Fast and Furious Senate hearings?

Benghazi...

Seven Congressional hearings.

The IRS persecution of conservative groups.

Five hearings and Holly Paz was fired because she didn't notify Congress that the abuses were happening?

How about the people that were carrying out the abuses. When will they be fired?

A Senate hearing...

And this is why most people stand with Bundy in his fight with a government organization that sends in snipers to collect back rent. and/or payment for government grass.

BLM, Bureau of Land Management, does what to "manage" this land?  Do they bring in irrigation to water the grass?  Do they plow, plant, fertilize, cultivate, cut, or bale?  Did they fence off the government territory?  Just what do they expect payment for, herding turtles?  Looks a lot like the same entitlement mentality that's destroying this country.

The farmers, ranchers, miners, drillers, loggers, fishermen, and whoever else uses "government" - read OUR - land pays taxes on what they produce.  Right now there are oil leases in the Gulf of Mexico that cannot be produced because the government won't issue drilling permits, but they damn sure collected the lease money from the oil companies.  Forest fires run rampant each summer because there is no management of "our" forests so everyone, including the animals, lose benefit of it. 

Cliven Bundy refused to pay for services that were never delivered and the responses are but a federal court ruled against him. 
Really?  Imagine that.

And now the President of the Senate declares Bundy supporters domestic terrorists.  If so, so be it for today, is the anniversary of the Battle of Lexington.