Author Topic: Like mother, like daughter: now Chesea Clinton says SHE may run for office  (Read 1114 times)

rangerrebew

Like mother, like daughter: Now Chelsea Clinton says SHE may run for office

By Cheryl K. Chumley

The Washington Times

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Chelsea Clinton has opened the doors to a career in political service, saying she’s not able any longer to completely rule out a run for some sort of public office.

Ms. Clinton, 34, said she’d consider anything from mayor to senator, The Daily Mail reported. And that’s quite a switch from years past, when she basically and bluntly said no to any question about a career of political service.

“I live in a city and a state and a country where I support my elected representatives,” Ms. Clinton said, to the local Fast Company online site. “If at some point that weren’t the case, and I didn’t support my mayor or my city councilwoman or my congressman or either of my senators — and I’m lucky to live in a state where I have lots of women representing me, you know — maybe then I’d have to ask and answer the question for myself, and come to a different answer.”

She said similarly during an event in Austin, Texas, a month ago.

When asked by BuzzFeed if she’d consider a political seat, Ms. Clinton said: “I don’t know. For a long time, my answer to that question was no. At the moment, I find it pretty discouraging that almost none of my friends think about running for public office as an option.”

Her mother, former first lady, senator, secretary of state and failed 2008 White House hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton appears to be testing the waters — or at least toying with the idea — of running for president again in 2016.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/15/chelsea-clinton-says-she-may-run-for-political-off/#ixzz2z8YgnCwZ
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Guys?

Thought you were not fond of dynasties. We sort of went to war over it?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online rustynail

Thank God.  We have so much we can learn with  Chelsea's guidance.

Online mountaineer

Big surprise. The Clintoons (and a plastic surgeon or two) have been grooming this little dunce for politics since day one.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

No, wait, she's another Cecil B. DeMille or one of that lot!

Chelsea Clinton on Producing Her First Film ‘Of Many’
April 16, 2014 | 12:00PM PT
Former first daughter takes documentary to Tribeca Festival
Ramin Setoodeh, Variety
Film Editor, New York

Could Chelsea Clinton follow in Al Gore’s footsteps and take her new documentary all the way to the Oscars?

Clinton, 34, is the executive producer of the documentary short “Of Many,” about the friendship between a New York rabbi and an imam, which premieres April 17 at the Tribeca Film Festival. The film will receive an awards-season push by Brigade Marketing, the agency handling its sale. Clinton has spent the past two years helping to interview its two central figures, Yehuda Sarna (the rabbi) and Khalid Latif (the imam), leaders of their religious communities at NYU.

“I learned (that filmmaking) was a much longer process than what I originally imagined,” Clinton told Variety in her first sit-down interview about the documentary, alongside its director, Linda G. Mills, and its two stars. “I’m not sure what I had originally imagined, but I would not have put my money on it being a two-year process.”

NYU professor Mills pitched the idea to Clinton, who arrived at the university several years ago as an assistant vice-provost. The two, along with the documentary’s principals, had co-founded the Of Many Institute for Multifaith Leadership on campus in January 2012. “When Chelsea came to NYU, there were many things we worked on together,” Mills says. “But one of our clear efforts was this incredible multifaith work that was happening.”

Clinton and Mills set about collecting 50 hours of footage, which they whittled down to 30 minutes. They wanted to keep the film short so that it could more easily play in schools around the world as a learning tool.

“I’ve always known that documentaries are an important vehicle for education,” says Clinton. She added that movie were “a huge part of my childhood.”

“I was not allowed to watch more than half an hour of television a day,” Clinton explains. “My parents did a wonderful job of socializing my media consumption like they did most other things in my life. But we watched lots of movies, both feature films and documentaries.” (Her parents have yet to see her film.)

Even though the filmmakers were at first concerned about a lack of onscreen tension between its leads, they soon realized there was enough outside conflict from real events in the Middle East. “Often, antagonism is the prism through which stories like this are told,” Clinton says, adding to her stars, “It was very sweet that the two of you didn’t disagree on anything.”

For his part, Latif says he couldn’t understand why anybody would want to watch a movie about him, although he soon became convinced that his friendship with a rabbi had larger symbolic implications. “This was something that much bigger than an individual narrative,” he says. “It essentially compelled others who viewed it to find themselves within the story.

Despite their different religious beliefs, the clergymen have much common ground. “The reality behind the film is very natural,” Sarna says. “Khalid and I live in the same building, we co-teach a class together. Our kids are friends. We even share a nanny.”

The filmmakers and their subjects grew even closer during the shoot, and still remember a spirited dinner conversation, which appears in the film, with both men and their wives. “That was the only time I think we had to refilm things,” Clinton recalls. “Linda and I were laughing so uproariously, we couldn’t edit it out of the background.”

rangerrebew

Is she planning to be the first president of the caliphate? :drunk:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:39:17 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline PzLdr

Great! Even UGLIER Kennedys! [with apologies to Webb Hubbel].  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
And just like her mother she is planning to run on her 'qualifications' to hold such a position. You know, she will run on her 'diplomacy' and 'military' experience. Along with all of her experience at 'international affairs' and 'economics'.

She is a real winner. Just like her mother.

Does anyone doubt that in the year 3000 John McCain and Harry Reid/Pelosi will all be running for their 200th term in office, and that Lincoln Clinton (yes, she had a kid and named him Lincoln) will be running for President against Harriet Bush? (yes, he had a kid and named her Harriet)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

No, wait, she's another Cecil B. DeMille or one of that lot!

:banging:

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Guys?

Thought you were not fond of dynasties. We sort of went to war over it?

It's all about who you know. I honestly don't believe Bush Jr would have had enough exposure to become president if not for his last name.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's all about who you know. I honestly don't believe Bush Jr would have had enough exposure to become president if not for his last name.

Can you expand please? Curious about your thinking here - and no, I rarely attack!  :laugh:

I liked GWB - he had the art of retail politics down to a science (just as Bill Clinton did). He was a decent governor in his own right. I do think he'd have got traction anyway, though maybe less than if Daddy was not being VP and President.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Can you expand please? Curious about your thinking here - and no, I rarely attack!  :laugh:

I liked GWB - he had the art of retail politics down to a science (just as Bill Clinton did). He was a decent governor in his own right. I do think he'd have got traction anyway, though maybe less than if Daddy was not being VP and President.

I'm not saying that he wasn't qualified, just that I don't think he would have been well known enough to be a viable candidate for the Republicans. Him being the son of a former president gave him a lot of name recognition. There are lots of good candidates out there that will never get a chance to run just because they don't know/aren't in good with the right people.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I'm not saying that he wasn't qualified, just that I don't think he would have been well known enough to be a viable candidate for the Republicans. Him being the son of a former president gave him a lot of name recognition. There are lots of good candidates out there that will never get a chance to run just because they don't know/aren't in good with the right people.

Makes sense. A bit of name recognition is worth millions in ads!

Thank you!  :beer:

Online rustynail

Chelsea Clinton baby news.  Hillary to be first grandmother president. We live in miraculous times.

Offline evadR

What is it with these spongers, is it in the blood?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online mountaineer

Chelsea Clinton baby news.  Hillary to be first grandmother president. We live in miraculous times.
And the wannabe runaway ski bum Mark Mezvinsky is the father? That is a miracle!