Author Topic: Bell, Calif. city manager gets 12 years prison for $6 million corruption scheme  (Read 626 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/bell-calif-city-manager-12-years-prison-9-million-corruption-scheme-article-1.1758564

LOS ANGELES — The former city manager of Bell was sentenced Wednesday to 12 years in prison and ordered to make restitution of $8.8 million in a corruption scheme that nearly bankrupted the small, blue-collar city.

Robert Rizzo apologized during sentencing in Los Angeles County Superior Court, telling Judge Kathleen Kennedy he breached the public’s confidence.

“It is a good thing to hear that he is sorry, and I’ll take him at his word that he is sorry,” Kennedy said before addressing Rizzo directly. “But it doesn’t change the fact that, Mr. Rizzo, you did some very, very bad things for a very long time.”

The judge pointedly dismissed suggestions that she might sentence him to as few as five years, and she referred to the famous quote, “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

“That is the theme of what happened in Bell,” Kennedy said. “There were no checks and balances to control Mr. Rizzo and those that were in power in the city.”

good. Should have gotten more but glad he got this.

Offline WAYNE

I'm shocked .  I thought he would skate. Good on CA for once.. Did anyone mention his ethnicity?

Online mountaineer

His ethnicity?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I'm shocked .  I thought he would skate. Good on CA for once.. Did anyone mention his ethnicity?

Ditto.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

What?  That he's a fat white slob who gorged himself at the public trough at the expense of minority homeowners??

:smokin:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
His ethnicity?
Probably Italian-American, on his father's side. 

The town he ripped off it largely Hispanic.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

Funny how one individual's actions would be used to tarnish a people. Generalize much?

Anyway, this is outdated stereotyping as mobsters come in all ethnicities these days. понять?

rangerrebew

With that background he could run for VP on a ticket with Chelsea Clinton! :silly:

Offline WAYNE

Probably Italian-American, on his father's side. 

The town he ripped off it largely Hispanic.