Author Topic: Has Rush Limbaugh Finally Reached the End Of The Road?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline olde north church

Re: Has Rush Limbaugh Finally Reached the End Of The Road?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 09:17:37 am »
How?  By buying delicious iced tea or excellent books?

I really don't care too much for Beck either but at least he's putting some of his fortune into a legacy beyond a nice house in Florida.  Is it envy?  Doubtful, on the list of what's important to me would be my head cured.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:49 am »
I really don't care too much for Beck either but at least he's putting some of his fortune into a legacy beyond a nice house in Florida.  Is it envy?  Doubtful, on the list of what's important to me would be my head cured.

Yep. I admire him for his work with the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:47 am »
Yep. I admire him for his work with the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

That's a tough one for me.  On the one hand, I believe charity should be anonymous BUT I understand the power of celebrity in raising consciousness to a cause.  It's a responsibility to help others according to ability.  The greater the ability, the greater the responsibility.
In the news recently, in one of your Brit sheets, there was an article regarding a mistranslation from the Greek and Christ wasn't a carpenter's son but a wealthier architect's son.  Put that into perspective of a man giving up all his worldly possessions and a camel passing through the eye of a needle.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:55 am »
I agree with you. Charity giving should be anonymous, yet they need to be promoted. I push Pin-ups for Vets every year when the new calendar comes out (and MsF, but that's a different tale. They don't refuse cash, but would rather have time) - having someone like Beck or Rush push it would be massive. It's one of those odd little corners we have now - there are worthy causes that no one sees, and causes that sound worthy but don't do much. Oxfam, for example.

Fake edit - cause I forgot: I didn't see the story, but keeping up with all the news is 24/7! I'd not be surprised though. Jesus was a scholar. Back then, carpenters were well paid - think masons in the cathedral building period for an analogy - but not well paid enough to allow their kids not to work and read instead.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:46:31 am by EC »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 12:14:52 pm »
To be sure, he is still the most listened-to radio show of any format in America. His lead-out, Hannity, is number two. His closest competitors, NPR's drive-time programs, benefit from having the best time slots across the country and nearly ubiquitous signals. He's not at the end of the road just yet. He at least has until 2016, which is when his contract expires.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »
I agree with you. Charity giving should be anonymous, yet they need to be promoted. I push Pin-ups for Vets every year when the new calendar comes out (and MsF, but that's a different tale. They don't refuse cash, but would rather have time) - having someone like Beck or Rush push it would be massive. It's one of those odd little corners we have now - there are worthy causes that no one sees, and causes that sound worthy but don't do much. Oxfam, for example.

Fake edit - cause I forgot: I didn't see the story, but keeping up with all the news is 24/7! I'd not be surprised though. Jesus was a scholar. Back then, carpenters were well paid - think masons in the cathedral building period for an analogy - but not well paid enough to allow their kids not to work and read instead.

Actually an old article but recent post on some forum.  2010, here's the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263029/New-book-claims-Jesus-son-middle-class-architect.html

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 12:40:33 pm »

Rush has also helped with wounded warriors, and again, the Lymphoma campaign just finished, raising millions for research.

He gives millions to other charities as well.

It's fine if you don't like the fellow.  He's abrasive sometimes, and I disagree with him about a number of things, but I think your accusation that he thinks only of himself is inaccurate.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:06 pm »
Rush has also helped with wounded warriors, and again, the Lymphoma campaign just finished, raising millions for research.

He gives millions to other charities as well.

It's fine if you don't like the fellow.  He's abrasive sometimes, and I disagree with him about a number of things, but I think your accusation that he thinks only of himself is inaccurate.

I don't think it's a matter of thinking only of himself.  I just think he's a bit boastful or braggy.  I think there's a certain level of modesty people should carry.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 12:49:03 pm »
.....Fake edit - cause I forgot: I didn't see the story, but keeping up with all the news is 24/7! I'd not be surprised though. Jesus was a scholar. Back then, carpenters were well paid - think masons in the cathedral building period for an analogy - but not well paid enough to allow their kids not to work and read instead.

You are correct for the most part except, in the source language, it doesn't say Jesus was a carpenter, but instead a 'craftsman' which implied an even more important role. We find the same term again in the Book of Maccabees describing those who were allowed to rebuild the temple. Not any carpenter could do that as it was a holy place. (chew on that one for a while)  Once you look at the source language, a whole bigger world of meaning opens up. It doesn't take away from the stories we were always told, but instead adds extra depth to them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:49:52 pm by AbaraXas »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 12:49:29 pm »
I don't think it's a matter of thinking only of himself.  I just think he's a bit boastful or braggy.  I think there's a certain level of modesty people should carry.

Rush has/had a promotional throw-away line that he uses upon returning to the program after an "obscene profit timeout".....

"....providing the drive-by media with news headlines and soundbites on a daily basis...."     (paraphrased)

It ain't bragging if you can do it!

Like it or not, he is indeed, "The most powerful voice on the Right!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:42 pm »

There is also the duty people have to talk about charity. I get what you mean, totally, but since he (and Rush) have one hell of a bully pulpit I'll give them a pass on this. The one thing they both have in common is they have researchers who dig deep. They are not going to push a good cause that does no actual good on their listeners. Weren't both of them the earliest to push the tsunami relief effort on their programs?

Offline evadR

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 01:47:07 pm »
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 01:50:14 pm »

One could make the point that no one who is in broadcasting, entertainment or politics is 'modest.'

I agree that humility is an important quality in a person, but there is a certain self-confidence required to do any number of jobs.

I think a lot of his boasting, however, is just entertainment schtick, and designed to drive his leftist enemies crazy.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline happyg

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:53 pm »
One could make the point that no one who is in broadcasting, entertainment or politics is 'modest.'

I agree that humility is an important quality in a person, but there is a certain self-confidence required to do any number of jobs.

I think a lot of his boasting, however, is just entertainment schtick, and designed to drive his leftist enemies crazy.

I agree. His public persona is unlike his private personality. He's no different than anyone else in that respect. For those who don't care for him, imagine him off the air. Or Hannity, or Levin, or Beck or any conservative/republican commentator. As bad as the MSM is, we would be in a world of hurt without these people.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:43 pm »
Yes, the bragging and inflated confidence is part of his radio personality - wouldn't it be a boring show if he were just a modest person?  "Talent on loan from God" - that stuff is designed to push the liberal's buttons.  It's like any celebrity, you have to keep saying stuff to get attention.  I listen to Rush and have for over twenty years - the fact that he is still on and he still gets "bad press" - that is radio gold!  I'm amazed that he can still do it after all these years, he has toned down a bit over the years, but he is still living rent-free in their heads. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
It's not the talent on loan from God or that stuff, that's schtick and easily ignored.  It's more the "it's so wonderful to be me, I know people you will never get to know, sit in places you will never sit.".  Some people enjoy living vicariously through other people.  That's not my thing.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »
It's not the talent on loan from God or that stuff, that's schtick and easily ignored.  It's more the "it's so wonderful to be me, I know people you will never get to know, sit in places you will never sit.".  Some people enjoy living vicariously through other people.  That's not my thing.

I've never heard him say anything like that.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:55 pm »

I don't think he has ever said anything like that.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »

What I have heard him say many times when asked about his popularity is that he thinks it springs from the fact that he says on the radio what many of my listeners have been saying for years privately! That is absolutely true! I don't need to listen to Rush (I do when I can anyway) because I KNOW what he is going to say before he says it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 05:42:31 pm »

Never a word about Hawaii and Elton John in the hotel when he had a heart attack?
Never a word about 21 (or some steak house) when Bill Clinton was there and walked up to his table?
Never a word about sky boxes at the Super Bowl or some golf tournament?
He's a name and place dropper.  That's in 15 seconds off the top of my head.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:39 pm »

Heck, these days, a certain "self-confidence" is required to even GET almost any job, or for that matter even an interview for a job. Modest people's resumes end up getting thrown into the circular file.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline speekinout

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 04:31:11 am »
Rush deserves great credit for inventing conservative talk radio. If he wasn't the first to do it, he certainly was the first to get popular doing it. Those early days were fabulous - he did a lot of work researching data and facts to show that the liberal media was trying to brainwash all of us. He was the alternative, and for those of us who have always had conservative leanings (opportunity vs a handout, for starters) he was fresh air and a like community. I was devoted - his show was the place to go to find out the truth.

But then his success maybe caught up with him. There are a lot of other conservative talk show hosts. He's not the only one anymore. And he started resting on his laurels - I admit that I stopped listening a few years ago, but the reason I did is because he started talking more about his opinion than about the facts. I want to listen to conservative talk so I can have data to argue with libs. Just saying "Rush thinks…" isn't a convincing argument, not even to me.

I did catch him a time or two where he hadn't done his homework and was giving an opinion based on superficial headlines instead of the facts of the case. I knew more of the facts than he did. Then there were times when he had an opinion, but didn't back it up with data. I think he's settled into a comfortable bloviation instead of a hard hitting research mode.

But no one can say that he didn't do us all a favor by working so hard to make conservative talk a profitable endeavor.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:56 am »
The greatest service Rush Limbaugh has performed for society is that he has educated millions and millions of people as to the true nature of liberalism.  The existence of masses of people who refuse to drink the Kool-Aid is really the only thing that prevents liberals from enacting their real agenda, which is a completely controlled society.  Instead, they must go about it piecemeal and lie about their true intentions and attempt to boil the frogs slowly.

Like many others, I used to be an avid listener, but these days I check his website each day to see what he is talking about, but rarely tune in.  To tell you the truth, I don't like to think about politics too much as I grow older.  It's just too negative, and life is too short.  I'd much rather focus on staying in shape, playing golf, nurturing young minds and taking care of my wife. 

Nonetheless, I am very grateful to Rush Limbaugh for what he has done to stimulate my own political growth, and for what he has done for this country, and I always will be.

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 11:33:54 am »
The greatest service Rush Limbaugh has performed for society is that he has educated millions and millions of people as to the true nature of liberalism.  The existence of masses of people who refuse to drink the Kool-Aid is really the only thing that prevents liberals from enacting their real agenda, which is a completely controlled society.  Instead, they must go about it piecemeal and lie about their true intentions and attempt to boil the frogs slowly.

Like many others, I used to be an avid listener, but these days I check his website each day to see what he is talking about, but rarely tune in.  To tell you the truth, I don't like to think about politics too much as I grow older.  It's just too negative, and life is too short.  I'd much rather focus on staying in shape, playing golf, nurturing young minds and taking care of my wife. 

Nonetheless, I am very grateful to Rush Limbaugh for what he has done to stimulate my own political growth, and for what he has done for this country, and I always will be.

But honestly, he didn't educate people.  The people who listened to him knew what they believed and knew they were right.  His listeners were already politically astute, that's why the went to him like an antenna or a homing device.  He was the water cooler around which we gathered, listened, learned and shared.
Hannity isn't Rush.  Levin isn't Rush.  Beck isn't Rush.  What made Rush what he is/was was the sense of commonality.  Rush was the "Everyman" in a way Matt Damon could only dream of portraying.  He was a prime example of "build it, they will come".  He found his audience.  His audience found him at the intersection of time and place.
Rush lost his connection, IN MY OPINION, when he moved to Palm Beach.  When he played in the Pro-Ams.  When he sat in the sky boxes with the owners.
I know his family was well-respected and were people of prestige.  He was the black sheep of the family.  All that rot.  Jimmy Carter was never just a "simple peanut farmer", they guy was an engineer on a nuclear sub.  That's not overalls and wiping your brow with a worn, blue neckerchief.  Rush played at being a DJ and while his family waited for him to get respectable.

Offline evadR

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 12:23:23 pm »
I think Rush is just as relevant as ever, especially in these times.
His analysis of events is beyond any other person that I know and is always based on facts. I don't understand the statement that listening to Rush no longer gets a person "the facts". As Sherlock says, "it's not just the facts but the interpretation of the facts in which we are justified".
Rush not only provides the facts but gives his interpretation of what those facts mean.  What more can we ask for?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.