Author Topic: Has Rush Limbaugh Finally Reached the End Of The Road?  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Has Rush Limbaugh Finally Reached the End Of The Road?
« on: April 16, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »
Rick Ungar
Forbes
April 15, 2014

Like him or hate him, there is no disputing that Rush Limbaugh's very special brand of mixing right-wing politics with his flare for entertainment has produced one of the most successful radio programs in the medium's long history.

Whatever the burning political question of the day, millions of Americans have relished the opportunity to tune into Rush's program, knowing that he would quickly take that hot potato, throw a few gallons of verbal kerosene into the mix and elevate the matter into a five alarm fire with a just a few well-chosen words spoken in the style only Rush Limbaugh could produce.

Until now…

At long last, it appears that Rush Limbaugh has run out of steam...
More

From the writer, Rick Ungar:

I am a Senior Political Contributor at Forbes and the official 'token lefty,' as the title of the page suggests. However, writing from the 'left of center' should not be confused with writing for the left as I often annoy progressives just as much as I upset conservative thinkers...
More

The writer is a liberal so I guess I'm supposed to dismiss this article out of hand. Right?

Well, no. I think this article is worth reading. Moreover, for a long time now I myself have been wondering if Rush's best days are behind him.

Offline musiclady

Re: Has Rush Limbaugh Finally Reached the End Of The Road?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:20:21 pm »
I don't think the article has merit.

The guy thinks that CBS doesn't have a political agenda.

That's downright stupid.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:25:39 pm »
I agree that Limbaugh is not as relevant as he has been in the past, however he hasn't completely lost his steam else Forbes and everyone else wouldn't be devoting so much attention to him.  The Stephen Colbert assignment to the Letterman spot did have a political dimension as well as being a marketing calculation.  Rush has gotten a lot of media attention for pointing that out, which he has milked shamelessly (as usual). 

It is also true that the only comedians who seem to attract young audiences are liberals.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »
Well, no. I think this article is worth reading. Moreover, for a long time now I myself have been wondering if Rush's best days are behind him.

Rush's best days are definitely behind him.  He's turned into little more than a marketing machine, what with his tea and his self-absorbed books.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:54:57 pm »
I still like Rush..I am one of his mind-numbed robots.. :smokin:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »

Me too! 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:07:43 pm »
Please? Yes.

Used to like him. He'd lay shit out and trust people to think. Then he shifted to telling people what to think.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:17:13 pm »
Finally? The first time you listened to George Carlin, Bill Cosby, or Sam Kinneson, it was hilarious.

Eventually it gets to be predictable, repetitive, and nothing is accomplished as a result of listening over and over.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »

He's still the best in talk radio.

Of course, after more than twenty years he's repeated himself, but telling the truth about the left does get repetitive.

As for the marketing only attack...........that's not coming from someone who listens on a regular basis.

It's sour grapes.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:43 pm »
btw, the fact that the left is still obsessed with Rush indicates to me that he is still hitting the target on a regular basis.

Nothing indicates Rush's success more than the whining and name-calling of the left.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:11 pm »
His 3rd hour is virtually impossible to get through.

And his speaking while leading into a commercial that's read by him is dishonest, IMO.  TOO MANY COMMERCIALS and NOT ENOUGH CONTENT!

That said, we all know he's held back quite a bit in his assessment.   We don't know the veracity of those threats against his life that he gets daily.

He is a genius at marketing and realizes that there are millions of potential listeners that have stopped by to see what all the fuss is about.....only to be hypnotized into Rush Babies and Mind-Number Robots.

I love Rush Limbaugh.   It would be a different country today without his influence the past 25 years.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:27 pm »
btw, the fact that the left is still obsessed with Rush indicates to me that he is still hitting the target on a regular basis.

Nothing indicates Rush's success more than the whining and name-calling of the left.

He is still #1, still raking in tens of millions, if he writes something it becomes a #1 best seller before it is released, if he mentions calling congress about something, it crashes the phone system.... if that is 'out of steam' what is fully loaded?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:41:39 pm »
Finally? The first time you listened to George Carlin, Bill Cosby, or Sam Kinneson, it was hilarious.

Eventually it gets to be predictable, repetitive, and nothing is accomplished as a result of listening over and over.

Wash your mouth out. A full Kinneson rant is an art form. Difficult to do on paper, almost impossible vocally.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »
Wash your mouth out. A full Kinneson rant is an art form. Difficult to do on paper, almost impossible vocally.

The first time I saw Kinnison?  Beyond great!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:42 pm »
He is still #1, still raking in tens of millions, if he writes something it becomes a #1 best seller before it is released, if he mentions calling congress about something, it crashes the phone system.... if that is 'out of steam' what is fully loaded?

Precisely.

Everyone should run 'out of steam' while maintaining the success that Rush has.

Case in point:  last week's fundraiser for Leukemia.  Unbelievable amount of money raised by Rush's audience in a couple of days.  It's remarkable.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:47 pm »
The first time I saw Kinnison?  Beyond great!

He was AWESOME!!!

Every new comedian tries it, written or spoken. It almost never works. Guy was unique.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:13:00 pm »

Indeed. Funny how some of the whining and name-calling also seems to come from the so-called right.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:34 am »
Indeed. Funny how some of the whining and name-calling also seems to come from the so-called right.

I've noticed that....................    :whistle:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 01:21:07 am »
Tell ya what, I'm Conservative, not so-called, I think he's really good at parting a fool from his money.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 01:23:57 am »
People have been predicting the imminent demise of Rush Limbaugh for two decades, and he's still here.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 01:35:02 am »
Tell ya what, I'm Conservative, not so-called, I think he's really good at parting a fool from his money.

How?  By buying delicious iced tea or excellent books?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 02:11:23 am »
People have been predicting the imminent demise of Rush Limbaugh for two decades, and he's still here.

The last thing I have time to worry about is Rush Limbaugh. Time has proven over and over again that he can take care of himself.

Yeah, Rush Limbausht is gone. He is kaput, that is all, it is all over.

...and if you believe that, I have some Ocean front property in Arizona...from my front porch you can see the sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlMzNUDM8s
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline evadR

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 02:17:56 am »
Was there an article attached or a link that I missed?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline happyg

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 02:23:59 am »
Was there an article attached or a link that I missed?
Yes and yes.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:24:37 am by Machiavelli »