Author Topic: Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own  (Read 514 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/15/secret-us-assessments-show-afghanistan-not-ready-g/

by Guy Taylor
April 16, 2014

Confidential U.S. assessments, which the State Department tried to hide from the public, show nearly all Afghan Cabinet ministries are woefully ill-prepared to govern after the U.S. withdraws its troops, often describing the gaps in knowledge, capability and safeguards as “critical” and describing an infrastructure in danger of collapsing if left to its own accord.

The State Department USAID reports, obtained by The Washington Times, paint a sobering portrait about the impact of the billions of dollars the U.S. has spent on nation-building over the past decade.

Treated as a whole, the reports suggest that the U.S. spending has yet to create a sustainable civilian government in Afghanistan and, in some cases, has been diverted to corrupt politicians or extremists looking to destabilize the country.

USAID officials told The Times on Tuesday that the risks of corruption and waste associated with trying to develop a government in Afghanistan have long been known and that U.S. taxpayers must be patient before they see further returns on their aid investments.

Americans need to appreciate that the Afghan government ministries hardly existed a dozen years ago, said the officials, who argued that the government has progressed dramatically over the years — giving all the more reason for Washington now to ensure that the gains are not lost and U.S. national security hurt during the years ahead.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:16:46 pm »
Too bad, because Obama is going to leave Afghanistan no matter what.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »
What should we leave behind?  A cruder individual might say piles of bodies.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:57:18 pm »
I've never been to Afghanistan but I could have made that assessment watching TV and doing a crossword.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Afghanistan won't be ready to govern on its own for some time - if ever.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:03:59 am »
Title:
[[ Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own ]]

Hard truth:
Afghanistan will NEVER be "ready" to govern on [its] own.

Lesson to be learned from that truth:
Get OUT of there, and let the chips fall where they may...

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:15:23 am »
I've never been to Afghanistan but I could have made that assessment watching TV and doing a crossword.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Afghanistan won't be ready to govern on its own for some time - if ever.

It is ready to govern on its own - in the time-honored way Afghans have been governing themselves for millenia.  It's just not ready to become another Western democracy any time soon.  And that might not be such a bad thing.

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:17:44 pm »
I stand, humbly corrected. blij26