Author Topic: US Postal Service Joins in Federal Ammo Purchases  (Read 653 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
US Postal Service Joins in Federal Ammo Purchases
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:44:08 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Re: US Postal Service Joins in Federal Ammo Purchases
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »
Don't forget that we, the people, overwhelmingly supported the PATRIOT Act when it was enacted, and now we're drinking the bitter lees of that foolish support.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
One does not use hollow points for target practice.  Every single government-owned hollow point is intended to hit a human being with a lethal shot.  At this point they probably have enough of them to pump 30 or 40 rounds into every citizen.

Maybe they are stocking up in anticipation of price increases down the road?  A lead reserve instead of a gold reserve.  Will some future administration be dumping all this ammo back on the market?
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »
One does not use hollow points for target practice.  Every single government-owned hollow point is intended to hit a human being with a lethal shot.  At this point they probably have enough of them to pump 30 or 40 rounds into every citizen.
No matter how much ammo law-abiding gun owners may have accumulated, it still won't be enough to protect themselves or their families against such odds should the SHTF.
β€œHell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
Things aren't quite as various conspiracy theories have made them out to be.  there's an article from 2013 written by a guy who used to be a cop and is now a professor of Professional Studies Department, Law and Public Policy/Homeland Security/Criminal Justice, at the California University of Pennsylvania, that gives a more prosaic explanation for agencies purchasing hollow points:  because the rounds expand on hitting a target, or anything else, they stop sooner and are less likely to penetrate what they hit and keep going, which makes it less likely that a bystander might be hit by a stray bullet.  According to this article the use of hollow point ammunition is standard for all major law enforcement agencies, with the NYPD being the last such to switch, which it did in 1999.  The article is here:  http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20130506-hollow-point-ammunition-is-more-effective-and-safer-to-use

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
Still doesn't explain why NOAA or the Post Office is armed to the teeth.  :shrug:
β€œHell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
Oceander wrote above:
[[ Don't forget that we, the people, overwhelmingly supported the PATRIOT Act when it was enacted, and now we're drinking the bitter lees of that foolish support. ]]

Speak for yourself.

"Some of us" didn't like it then, and don't like it now.

What was that remark, attritbuted to Ben Franklin....?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »

Maybe they are stocking up in anticipation of price increases down the road?  A lead reserve instead of a gold reserve.  Will some future administration be dumping all this ammo back on the market?
Well, considering they also shut down the last virgin lead smelter in the country a few months ago, that isn't that far-fetched.
Quote of the month:
"Drumbeats remind me of orchestras, and orchestras remind me of... orchestration." (David Paterson)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »
Still doesn't explain why NOAA or the Post Office is armed to the teeth.  :shrug:
I don't know if you have ever seen the movie Independence Day. It's a silly movie (although Bill Pullman makes an awesome President in it), but one of the points they make is that they funded a top-secret alien research wing by inflating costs of mundane items in the federal budget. So, perhaps the purchase of "ammo" is in fact a smokescreen to fund classified projects we know nothing about.
Quote of the month:
"Drumbeats remind me of orchestras, and orchestras remind me of... orchestration." (David Paterson)

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
Oceander wrote above:
[[ Don't forget that we, the people, overwhelmingly supported the PATRIOT Act when it was enacted, and now we're drinking the bitter lees of that foolish support. ]]

Speak for yourself.

"Some of us" didn't like it then, and don't like it now.

What was that remark, attritbuted to Ben Franklin....?

If you don't want to be part of "we, the people" then you'd better expatriate; otherwise, you're in the same boat with the rest of us.

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »
I have no problem finding 9MM both in FMJ and JHP, but trying to find 22 LR for my 10-22 and my sons Cricket is nearly impossible for me here in my area of WA. Out of Stock on 22LR signs are quite common. When I do find something for sale it is lead round nose which I hate shooting, and you are limited to 2 boxes.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:32:35 PM »
Life imitates art!

If you have ever read the book, One second After you see how ammunition soon becomes more valuable than cash once the SHTF. Very valuable trade item in fact.  Now we may never have a EMP go off like in the book,(I pray not) but it does make you wonder why the stockpiling by federal agencies. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »
If you have ever read the book, One second After you see how ammunition soon becomes more valuable than cash once the SHTF. Very valuable trade item in fact.  Now we may never have a EMP go off like in the book,(I pray not) but it does make you wonder why the stockpiling by federal agencies.

I would think a good bow and the knowledge of how to make one's own arrows would be much more valuable in an end-times scenario; at that point ammo becomes a nonrenewable resource, arrows do not.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »

The numbers described here isn't really 'to the teeth'. Amounts to a few hundred rounds per postal office. Enough to man a security guard or two and keep them qualified. Most of these controversial purchases have been business as usual for decades.

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:15 AM »

Seen the price of stamps lately?  In that glass case of commemorative stamps lies fort Knox.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:14:35 AM by NavyCanDo »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 05:06:33 AM »
I would think a good bow and the knowledge of how to make one's own arrows would be much more valuable in an end-times scenario; at that point ammo becomes a nonrenewable resource, arrows do not.

Arrows are relatively easy. Cleave a log of the right length - usually 22 inches. A foot or hand powered lathe to trim it to the perfect round (you can do it by eye with a knife or spokeshave, but it's a lot trickier), slot for the head and two to 4 slots for the feathering. Feathering is easy - cut a pair of tail or pinion feathers from pretty much any bird in half along the quill, trim to length, and glue them in place. Arrowheads - you have a change jar. No need to cast heads when you have pennys, nickels and quarters just waiting to be filed to shape and sharpened.

Bows, on the other hand ....

A good compound bow takes about a year to make. I am talking a single curve, Mongol type - it has to sit in the forms for months. A longbow is quicker, if you have either yew or lemon available. Both woods that are incredibly hard to work, and balancing the two arms will still take you a couple of weeks.

Crossbow is a far better option.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 06:32:57 AM »
How and why does an agency that is financially destitute purchase ammunition?  I really have to wonder if the financing came from some outside group connected with, say, George Soros, if it is possible.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf