Author Topic: Census Survey Revisions Mask Health Law Effects  (Read 531 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Census Survey Revisions Mask Health Law Effects
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »

Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

Re: Census Survey Revisions Mask Health Law Effects
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
Here's something else that's strange about the census bureau's activities in recent days: Last week while Mr. M and I were in Boston, he received a call from the agency that cares for his mentally handicapped older brother Tim. They said people from the census bureau were sitting in their office asking questions about his brother.

A little background:  Tim lived with his father until Dad's death in 2006. At that time, Mr. M scrambled to get his brother into a group home and to receive service under Title XIX of the Social Security act. After a few months, we got it worked out and Tim was able to live in a home with one or two other handicapped men and receive 24/7 supervision and care from the agency (REM) that has contracted with the gov't. Tim later moved from his first home to one closer to us. After a few years, the owner of the second house decided he didn't want to rent it to REM anymore. Mr. M, using money left by his father for this purpose, bought a house near us and now Tim and his roommate and the REM folks get along swimmingly in a nice little three-bedroom ranch.

From our hotel in Boston, Mr. M told REM that the census people were not permitted to set foot on the property on Tim's house, so they agreed the census people would come back and speak to Mr. M when we returned home. The other day, he received a call from them. The REM supervisor said she'd already provided info on Tim's roommate, and then handed the phone to the census person. That person proceeded to ask questions about the second house. Mr. M said Tim doesn't live at that address, without offering the address of the 3d residence. He asked why - four years after the census - his brother was being singled out for information (keep in mind the inept census bureau never bothered to send a survey to Mr. M and me, and we remain uncounted). The census person said it was just selected "at random" among people living in group homes, receiving TItle XIX benefits or some such thing.

Mr. M reiterated that Tim hadn't lived at the address (the second house) for three years. The census person was flummoxed and didn't know what to say, and the conversation ended.

The question is WHY THE HECK are they looking into this now?  What has this to do with counting the number of people living in the USA?
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:01:47 PM »
THIS may be the most completely lawless administration in history and certainly is in MY lifetime!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 01:30:30 PM »
This particular issue isn't a matter of lawlessness.  It is more a matter of exploiting the law, legally, for political advantage.  That doesn't make it excusable, but it shouldn't be conflated with lawlessness.  Conflating the two simply weakens both arguments.

So just what IS the definition of "is"?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
So just what IS the definition of "lawless"?  Is changing the survey methodology this way contrary to law?  Is there a statute that prohibits it?

Frankly I don't know or care whether or not there is a law against it! It is still, let us say, HIGHLY unethical at the least in my view!!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
On that we most surely agree.  It is unethical.  It just isn't lawless.

And that Sir is just the sort of hair splitting that is destroying this once great Republic!

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
Bigun wrote above:
[[ THIS may be the most completely lawless administration in history and certainly is in MY lifetime! ]]

Barack Obama is the equivalent of The Tar Baby in Disney's "Song of the South".

Everyone that touches him becomes entangled. Every government agency gets corrupted, gets subjugated.

Even those who despise and keep away from him, cannot escape the grasp of the government that has been degraded by him.

What will it take to break free again?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 07:39:06 AM »
What is the citation for the law that authorizes this sort of prying on the part of the Census Bureau?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:51:16 AM by Bigun »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
The bureau's job is to count people living in the United States, not ask about their personal lives, what type of toilets they have, how the ACA has improved their lives, etc.

Since my previous post, above, I've learned that the census rep asked what might be termed medical questions about my brother-in-law's roommate, e.g., the extent of his disability (he also is mentally handicapped), how it affects his ability to get around, etc. Thankfully, the REM people refused to answer many of the questions, citing privacy obligations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf