Author Topic: Gov. O’Malley Signs Marijuana Decriminalization Bill [Maryland]  (Read 897 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Gov. O’Malley Signs Marijuana Decriminalization Bill [Maryland]

April 14, 2014

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—Maryland joins 17 other states in decriminalizing marijuana. Gov. Martin O’Malley signed a bill Monday that replaces jail time with fines for possession of small amounts.

Political reporter Pat Warren has more on the new law.

In somewhat of a surprise move, the General Assembly has decided to change its heavy handed approach to smoking pot.

Maryland goes from zero to tolerance for 10 grams of marijuana or less. But that’s where it stops.

“I still don’t support Maryland being one those states that serves as a laboratory for legalization of marijuana,” O’Malley said. [with POTUS aspirations] (bracket mine)

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/04/14/gov-omalley-to-sign-marijuana-decriminalization-bill/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Gov. O’Malley Signs Marijuana Decriminalization Bill [Maryland]
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:15:02 pm »
Some police jurisdictions are upset with the ambiguity of the law.

For example, you can have less than 10 grams of pot, but you can still be arrested and charged if caught with a pipe, wrapping papers or other utensils used in consuming your pot.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:15:20 pm »
is possession treated as a crime, or as a violation (i.e., like a traffic ticket).  it isn't decriminalized until its converted from a crime (misdemeanor or felony) to a violation.  How much is 10 grams of pot, anyways?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »
is possession treated as a crime, or as a violation (i.e., like a traffic ticket).  it isn't decriminalized until its converted from a crime (misdemeanor or felony) to a violation.  How much is 10 grams of pot, anyways?

It's enough to roll about ten joints.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:24:12 pm »

28 grams to an ounce....so it's a bit over one-third of an ounce.

A plastic baggie of an "ounce" of pot is a little larger than a single checkbook 'wallet'.  Only much thicker LOL!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:36:17 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »
It's enough to roll about ten joints.

Those are going to be gargantuan doobies, Alice!   :smokin:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:28:41 pm »
28 grams to an ounce....so it's a bit over one-third of an ounce.

A plastic baggie of pot is a little larger than a single checkbook 'wallet'.  Only much thicker LOL!

I know in some states though, that don't penalize much for possession of smaller amounts - the first or second offense is just a fine, but after that it becomes a felony with mandatory prison time.  That's not good. 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:32:03 pm »
Those are going to be gargantuan doobies, Alice!   :smokin:

About the size of a cigarette.   ***cool cat***

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »
Wasn't pot at one time measured by fingers?  you could buy a 4 finger bag which I think was called a lid? 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:55:05 pm »
Wasn't pot at one time measured by fingers?  you could buy a 4 finger bag which I think was called a lid? 

Yeah, that was back in the hippie days when you could pass a joint around at a concert right in front of the police and they never made a big deal about it as long as you were behaving yourself.  Good times.

:beer:

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:15:04 pm »
Yeah, that was back in the hippie days when you could pass a joint around at a concert right in front of the police and they never made a big deal about it as long as you were behaving yourself.  Good times.

:beer:
:laugh:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:51 pm »
It's a start.

End prohibition! Let a person choose their poison.